New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Taking Notes on the iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jon206

jon206 is on a distinguished road

Thinking about getting a ipad to supplement my laptop and use Skype. I do a lot of field work and take a lot of notes. No need for 3G as wifi is generally available. Notes, calander and email will be my main uses.

Anyone in a similar situation care to give me some pro's and cons?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Mad

Mac Mad can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5

i would not go for an ipad as it runs ios and a macbook runs osx this makes it mor versatile for every day situations and no flash on ipad and a top range ipad is the same as a regular macbook so i would go for the macbook

by Mac Mad
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

For note taking the iPad has a bunch of nice apps. It is one of the main reasons I got one. Taking notes on a laptop is OK if you have a place to type. Most of my notes are done at customers while talking face to face. Typing on a laptop becomes impersonal. I wanted a more natural note taking device.

For Calendar and Email the iPad is a good choice - especially if you don't need all the fancy features (also depends on what kind of groupware you are connecting to)

Downside is as mentioned above - not a full fledged laptop, that being said I find myself reaching for the iPad more than the laptop in day to day situations. Easy to use, most websites come through well (flash of course is the exception, but if you are burning for flash you could always try cloud browse in a pinch)
Cloud Browse - Use Flash and Java on iPhone and iPad | AlwaysOn Technologies

Here are the note takers I like
Recommeneded but haven't tried
Awesome Note - Brilliant Idea

Great for handwriting (not recognition) Has a zoom type window
Note Taker HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Writepad - for handwriting recognition (not good for drawings)
WritePad for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Penultimate for drawing type notes
Penultimate for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Smartnote - general purpose note taking
smartNote for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Noteshelf - another general purpose note taking with templates
Noteshelf for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Corkulous for brainstorming
Corkulous for iPad on the iTunes App Store
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I use Notes Plus. So far, it hasn't disappointed at all.
Notes Plus - Handwriting, Note Taking, Shape Drawing, and Sound Recording for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Didn't know about some of these other ones, like Noteshelf. That looks really nice from the looks of it.
QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

I have had my iPad for nearly a year now and absolutely love it. Of course, it is a 1st gen without a camera, but I have a iPhone4 for that. I use the iPad way more than my regular computer. If you type a lot of emails (or long emails) you might want to opt for the wireless keyboard.

I use my iPad a lot at work... but mainly just to show customers something from our website, looking up info from manufacturer's websites, or pulling up a PDF file. I do a little bit of work email, but not usually enough to need the wireless keyboard.

I don't do much note taking, but I have been thinking of getting a stylus for such purposes... now that it's fresh in my mind, I may pick one up on the way home tonight.

I bought an airprint capable printer, and now consider it a must-have for my iPad. The wife and I can also print directly from our iPhones. Of course, the printer works wirelessly from both of our computers (PC and Mac), and it will scan a document wirelessly to either computer as well.

My final comment is regarding 3G. If it is within your budget, you may want to get it, even if you don't think you'll use it much. You don't need a contract, and you can start and stop it any time from the iPad itself. I use the 3G all the time... especially as a giant GPS screen. It is wonderful for looking up info while on the road without having to find a wifi spot. I can't imagine having my iPad without 3G.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold

Notes Plus - that is the one I always forget about. I picked up that one too. That was a more recent purchase so I haven't used it as much - I do like the shape recognition. It has the close up window like Notetaker HD too.

Seems there is a third entry which I haven't tried with a closeup window called upad
UPAD for iPad on the iTunes App Store
QUOTE Thanks
jon206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Mad View Post
i would not go for an ipad as it runs ios and a macbook runs osx this makes it mor versatile for every day situations and no flash on ipad and a top range ipad is the same as a regular macbook so i would go for the macbook
I have a laptop but as the user below stated the note taking on a laptop can be awkward. The other thing is pulling a laptop in the car to note after a stop. I should have been more clear.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon206 View Post
Thinking about getting a ipad to supplement my laptop and use Skype. I do a lot of field work and take a lot of notes. No need for 3G as wifi is generally available.
Depending on what you mean by "field work" (if you were a biologist...you could actually be in a "field")...so in that case I would think that you would want a 3G model.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jon206

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Depending on what you mean by "field work" (if you were a biologist...you could actually be in a "field")...so in that case I would think that you would want a 3G model.

- Nick
I do end up in fields from time to time, but mostly meeting with customers and potential customers and making notes during and after the visit to later be copied/pasted into another system.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute

You should also look into apps that have Dropbox integration. I looked up Notes Plus -- the app I use, Dropbox is in the works.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

I'm going to rename this thread, since it's really helpful and useful to many.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

I am in sales and busting out a laptop to take notes comes across as impersonal. Writing on something paper like seems much more agreeable to people when in a meeting. I used to use a smart pen from logitech - but it doesn't work with the Mac. I was thinking about the livescribe pen but I went with the iPad instead. Still comes across as pen and paper when in meetings.

I'd have to go through but some of the apps I mentioned sync with either google-docs or dropbox or both. I don't remember which does what.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

As indicated above, taking notes on the iPad is definitely possible.
For me personally , there was a learning curve on how to type fast on the iPad keyboard... Took me a few days because it is different from a normal keyboard.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Leiyah

Leiyah is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD

I use my new iPad for note taking in classes too. It was one of the main reasons I first became interested in the iPad. Although I'm still searching for the perfect app, here is some personal feedback on apps I have purchased (I'll link apps I do not already see a link for in another user's post) that I use for school:

Penultimate - great for drawing graphs or diagrams (think: chemistry or biology) but not as great for writing sentences IMO. There is an option for graph paper, lined paper or blank. With pen and paper my handwriting is typically on the smaller side of the girly range. And in this app, I have a hard time writing small enough so it is legible and fits in the lines. Therefore I don't end up using it as much as I had hoped. Although, my 5 year old uses this app daily for practicing her spelling words.

neu.Notes - eh, it is ok. I'm not overly impressed or overly unimpressed. I like that you can mail individual note files as a PDF easily within the app. I don't like that there isn't (or I can't find) any way to use a stylus and avoid written marks coming from the palm of your hand touching the screen.

iBrainstorm - I like this app for drawing brainstorming charts before starting papers. I like the pencil color choices and use them to categorically list things I'm trying to organize.

Pages - This app functions like MS Word (and I'm guessing its an iPad version of a Mac program? I don't own a Mac so I can't say for sure.). I do not think it has a handwriting/stylus input available. If it does, I've not tried using it. But it works well with the keyboard for note taking. Until I find a better app that is stylus-friendly, this is the app I use most often when taking notes.

iAnnotate - I love this app! Two of my classes discuss documents from professional annals and journals, usually we download them in PDF format. This app lets you notate and manipulate PDF documents. Right now, its the best $10 I've spent on apps so far.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

iAnnotate looks pretty good but spendy at $10. Consider goodreader too.
GoodReader for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Syncs with just about anything in the cloud (dropbox and googledocs of course) and has support for other file formats. $5 vs $10 of iAnnotate.

Pages is a document creation program made by Apple - part of the iWorks suite. They "ported" the entire suite to the iPad. OK mobile replacement but a little spendy at $10/app - and limited features (as opposed to their desktop version). That being said I bought all 3 - Pages (like MS Word) - Numbers (like Excel) and Keynote (like Powerpoint). I use them both on my Mac and on my iPad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« setup iPad to display on a quad monitor set up | Can't get guitar tuner apps to work »