New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Taking Notes on the iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I have bought and tried a few more. So far my number one is now Underscore notify
Underscore Notify
$1.99 but you need to buy the write pad handwriting recognition - $2.99 as an in app purchase. Key features
-has the handwriting recognition of writepad
-edit and mark up anything
-cut from the web, camera, add audio, add maps
-has shapes, wrist pad, zoom area of other apps.
-caveat - has crashed on me a few times - but the features are so good I'll put up with it.
-caveat -pages and page management take some getting used to.

I tried upad - and it's good too. I think I like notetaker hd better but upad does come with some interesting templates in PDF format.

Bottom line - I think notify with handwriting recognition is worth the money - and is the one I'll be using for note taking for the forseeable future.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold

With the New iPad ( iPad 3 ) - I've had to revisit my note taking strategy. I started using uPad as Notify was a little unstable. uPad was working great with my iPad 2 - but with the new retina display - uPad no longer works. They should be updating - but I haven't even heard an acknowledgement of the problem from the developer. See this macrumors thread
Problem with upad app on my iPad 3 - MacRumors Forums

I still like the idea of handwriting recognition and Phatpad seems more stable than notify.
Smartphone and Tablet PC Software from PhatWare Corp.

I dropped back to notetaker hd as it has the pdf templates, zoom, and a sweet transcribe feature - where I can view the hand written notes - and type them up. One would argue that recognition would be better as that skips a step - but the recognition is a little less natural. That is - I tend to pay attention to the recognition like typing - whereas with hand writing - it may be messy but it still flows like writing on paper. I also put a few templates onto dropbox for use with a note taking app. For some reason uPad didn't show up as one of the "open with" choices from the Dropbox App. Notetaker HD was recognized. That is another reason I switched.

I've found 2 styli (styluses?) that I like and recommend. For a firmer capacitive tip - I like this one
Amazon.com: New Trent Limir Stylus/Styli Touch Screen Cell phone Tablet Pen Champa Dual-Purpose with Micro-Knit Technology Capacitive Stylus and Fine Ball Pen IMP62B for iPhone 4 4s iPod touch iPad 2 Samsung Galaxy Motorola Xoom Blackberry Playbook,
Plus it has a pen for analog note taking. This is a good general purpose stylus, but it is on the short side. If you like long pens you may not like this stylus. I think iFarady makes a similar tip with more options - but I haven't tried those - I am only going off the look of the pictures.
iFaraday.com

For drawing and a more precise pen feel I like the Adonit by Jot.
Amazon.com: Adonit Jot Pro Stylus for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Other Touch Screens (ADJPG): Electronics
A few things - first you need responsive note taking software. I would recommend the Jot for use with Notetaker HD (with zoom on) and Penultimate - some of the other ones didn't seem to work as well. Notes Plus seemed to be a little laggy with this stylus. Second - it is a piece of plastic and I worry about getting some dirt between that and the screen and causing scratches. I put a screen protector on - for now, to see if any scratches show up on the protector. I am a week into using it - but if I find some scratches I'll update. With this stylus and Penultimate - IMHO this feels closest to actual pen/paper. Another neat feature is there is a magnet in the pen. You can attach it to your iPad (2/3) via magnets - no need for clips or a pen holder. Sticks to the magnetic power side and turns off the iPad, or you can stick it to the clasp side of the smart cover as well.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Mad View Post
i would not go for an ipad as it runs ios and a macbook runs osx this makes it mor versatile for every day situations and no flash on ipad and a top range ipad is the same as a regular macbook so i would go for the macbook
You are aware that Apple doesn't make a MacBook anymore right? They only have the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Air's minimum spec is $999.

The iPad's top-end (wi-fi) is $800, with LTE its $930.

The OP didn't say anything about needing more versatility. He said he wants to use the iPad to take notes. The iPad can take notes just fine, thanks, in fact it would be a lot easier to take notes using an iPad than a MacBook Air if you don't have a desk in front of you. Also, the iPad has the option of using a stylus for handwritten notes. The MacBook Air, not so much.

I'm not knocking laptops, just saying I think you're superimposing a bit on the OP's message.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You are aware that Apple doesn't make a MacBook anymore right? They only have the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Air's minimum spec is $999.

The iPad's top-end (wi-fi) is $800, with LTE its $930.

The OP didn't say anything about needing more versatility. He said he wants to use the iPad to take notes. The iPad can take notes just fine, thanks, in fact it would be a lot easier to take notes using an iPad than a MacBook Air if you don't have a desk in front of you. Also, the iPad has the option of using a stylus for handwritten notes. The MacBook Air, not so much.

I'm not knocking laptops, just saying I think you're superimposing a bit on the OP's message.
All good points - but I apologize - I dug up an old thread to keep my information on Note Apps in one place. The OP and that comment are "so last year ago"

Also - is there a disconnect between US and CAN as far as pricing? The minimum MBA price in the US is also $999 - but the iPad is $699 and $829 for LTE in the US.
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Taking notes on an iPad is very easy and very convenient in many ways. I didn't think I would prefer the iPad over my MacBook Pro, but once I had it in the classroom setting I preferred taking notes on the iPad. To me the virtual keyboard works just fine. I don't have issues speed typing on the keyboard that is used on the iPad. To me, the iPad is the perfect device for taking notes because you can hold it in your lap in many different positions you can't hold a MacBook Pro. With my recent upgrade to the new iPad, third-generation, the improved retina display is also a big plus when it comes to taking notes and visibly seeing everything you're typing in better detail than the previous iPad 2 I owned.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Evernote yet.

It works like Dropbox by keeping all your notes in sync across platforms. It comes highly recommended around here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

Evernote is OK - I had a few problems with the free edition.
-60MB isn't a massive amount of data for a month. If all you are doing is text it may be OK.
-You have to go premium to use it offline. I am on a plane a lot so that is a non-starter for me.

-On the iPad - I think you need Skitch to do any drawing type things. Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I didn't see a way to take hand written notes, nor draw anything within the Evernote app.
Skitch for iPad is Here! | Evernote Blogcast
QUOTE Thanks
rtruxal

rtruxal is on a distinguished road

i agree w/ everyone else that an iPad is your best bet. however i'll go a step further and say that you should use a program that has handwriting recognition and get a stylus. It's a great combo for note taking and they sell really good ones at www.lynktec.com try one out and see what you think!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« setup iPad to display on a quad monitor set up | Can't get guitar tuner apps to work »