New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 3g for international travellers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arun

arun is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I was planning to buy an Ipad for my family back in india. I want to know if the 3g service in india ( which is from BSNL - currently been provided for ipad first version ) would work in ipad 2?.

I spoke to apple and at and t - they say that its locked and the micro sim of any other carrier wont work.

I read in the Cnet reviews that we can interchange the microsim cards and use.

CNET's ongoing iPad 2 review | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews

I do see a quad band accessibility in ipads configuration.

Please let me know, if i should buy the 3g version - if the ipad is to be used only in india?. or should i buy the wifi only one?.

Yours reply / remarks would be really helpful.

thanks,
Arun.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's not the micro sim card per se that you need to be concerned about. It's the type of service provided by the carrier in India. For example: Here in the US we have two types of 3G service - GSM provided by AT&T and CDMA provided by Verizon. You must specify which model you want when you buy the iPad 2 in the US.

That's why you need to find out if the 3G service provided in India is compatible with that of the US, either GSM or CDMA.
QUOTE Thanks
arun

arun is on a distinguished road

Hey!, thanks for the quick reply.

The carrier in india does provide GSM service.
And i am planning to buy at and t ( so that its not cdma - which does not have the sim car technology ).

So would it work there?.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It should work but you need to check on more thing... find out what frequencies are being used in India for the 3G service. The frequency range should be the same, but you never know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen protector for iPad 2 | Speech to text on iPad »