New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

US iPad in the Uk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

france_54

france_54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8

Hi all

I am planning to buy an iPad when iPad 2 comes out and to save even more money I wax going to purchase from America. All I want it for is to sit on my desk at work with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use evernote with my other hardware.

Are there any snags/issue running a US iPad I the UK that people can share with me!?

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

There should be no problems at all with it actually running, they are the same beast, but be aware that you may need a different power adaptor for the UK, and that you may have to transfer the warranty to the UK (if Apple allow this!).

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

One thing you're going to need is an electrical adapter for the electricity ("the mains").

Another thing is if customs discovers that you bought the iPad 2 in the US...you're going to have to pay customs fees, VAT, etc.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by france_54 View Post
Hi all

I am planning to buy an iPad when iPad 2 comes out and to save even more money I wax going to purchase from America. All I want it for is to sit on my desk at work with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use evernote with my other hardware.

Are there any snags/issue running a US iPad I the UK that people can share with me!?

Cheers!
You will need to get someone in the US to buy it for you as I don't think you can buy via the US site and have it shipped to a UK address.

Sorry if you knew this already but I have thought of doing it myself.

Like Kev says it will work fine but you may need a UK power adapter but having said this I bought my Ipod touch when I was in NYC and didn't have any issues using it over here.

If you get it shipped over you need to have it marked as less than 30 in Value as anything over will get hit by VAT/Import fees.

There is no guarantee that customs wont open it and charge fees on it though as they can legally open any package.

If you go to the US to buy it just open it up and put it in your hand luggage and then there is no proof you didn't buy it in the UK.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

The power adapter is no issue - the iPad transformer can handle UK power just fine - obviously you'll need a plug adapter though.

Otherwise - no issues. I've used my iPad over there many times.
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

The US model should work just fine in the UK as long as you are looking for a WIFI only model. As others have mentioned you may have some issues with the power adapter, but that should only be a minor issue at worst.

The mains adapter that comes in the box will work on 110 or 220 without issue, however you will need to change the plug out to a UK model. You should be able to pick up the UK plug at your local Apple store or acquire one online.

If you are planning on bringing the device back to the UK yourself, you should check with your local customs authority to find out if you will have to declare your new purchase or not.

That's all I've got. Best of luck with your new iPad!
QUOTE Thanks
france_54

france_54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8

I'll be purchasing a iPad (1) from US eBay so I'll get the seller to send as gift etc. That's great! Didn't know whether the transformer would hold up. Wasn't expecting there to be any problems.

Thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by france_54 View Post
I'll be purchasing a iPad (1) from US eBay so I'll get the seller to send as gift etc. That's great! Didn't know whether the transformer would hold up. Wasn't expecting there to be any problems.

Thanks all
I would be wary of doing this as if you get it sent as a gift and pay via pp you will only be covered for the amount it's declared for.

This is the case if you get a friend or family to send it but at least then you know the person buying it for you is legit.

Its not worth marking it down if sent from a stranger as if there are any issues and it's marked for 30 then 30 is all you can claim.

How much cheaper is it in the us btw?

You may not know as not a lot of people do but curries do tax free sales in airports after you have checked in.

You need to have a flight to buy in the tax free store but there is nothing to stop you getting a cheap flight for 10 going through and buying in the store and then coming straight back out.

I seem to remember they are about 10 - 15% cheaper than retail on Apple products.
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Fatboydim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive12 View Post

If you go to the US to buy it just open it up and put it in your hand luggage and then there is no proof you didn't buy it in the UK.
Except for the fact that you cannot currently buy them in the UK.

Make sure you go to settings and change keyboard to English UK.
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboydim View Post
Except for the fact that you cannot currently buy them in the UK.

Make sure you go to settings and change keyboard to English UK.
Yep true but if its sealed and packed up then its obvious you have bought it in the US.

It would be very hard to prove someone in the US didn't buy it for you and send it to you if you were stopped by customs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 2 or Macbook Air or Windows Laptop | iPad 2 vs iPad performance comparison »