Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   Put iPhone 4 replacement camera in iPad 2? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/232176-put-iphone-4-replacement-camera-ipad-2-a.html)

ThePope43 03-12-2011 10:59 PM

Put iPhone 4 replacement camera in iPad 2?

Does anyone think it would be possible to buy a replacement iPhone 4 camera into the new iPad 2?

macwannabe 03-12-2011 11:45 PM

Why do people wanna take great pictures with a tablet soo bad? I just dont understand.. I wonder if they put better cameras in MBP's if people would hold up there macbook up to take shots??? Maybe I just dont get it.. I am not trying to offend anyone

anyways why not just take pics with your iphone 4 instead? it is smaller and more camera size...do you really wanna hold up a 11" device to take pic's? Also if you wanted to do it you would have to take it all apart... check out here where Razormac posted this link but I dont know if the pin connecters would fit...

ThePope43 03-13-2011 12:00 AM

I guess I didn't know I owed an explanation :P but I love modifying hardware but I've only stuck to xboxes so I was considering trying this out on my iPad.

schweb 03-13-2011 07:51 AM

I'm going to say no since it's not made for the iPad 2.

MinaMACMan 03-13-2011 11:31 AM

I think you probably could... But looking at the tear down procedure it seems like their would be a possibility of breaking the screen. So I am not sure if it's a risk worth taking.

macguy90 03-13-2011 04:28 PM

I would highly advise you NOT to do this....the iPad 2 is not intended to be taken apart by average people (meaning only Apple is intended to using their tools). Furthermore, I get the thrill factor behind modifying certain hardware but DO NOT let that thrill go too far. The iPhone 4's camera will not fit in the iPad 2 due to space issues. Plus, you'd need to modify iPad's camera software to even take advantage of the iPhone 4 camera. To sum this all up: Don't bother doing this, it's not the worth the time or risk.

Doug b 03-14-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macguy90 (Post 1201671)
I would highly advise you NOT to do this....the iPad 2 is not intended to be taken apart by average people (meaning only Apple is intended to using their tools). Furthermore, I get the thrill factor behind modifying certain hardware but DO NOT let that thrill go too far. The iPhone 4's camera will not fit in the iPad 2 due to space issues. Plus, you'd need to modify iPad's camera software to even take advantage of the iPhone 4 camera. To sum this all up: Don't bother doing this, it's not the worth the time or risk.

Geez, what a buzzkill you are, eh? Im guesssing you don't get invited to a lot of parties. :P
I have to ask though... on one hand you make comments such as "I wouldn't take the thrill that far" , and "only Apple has the necessary tools to take it apart" etc.. which tells us that in all actuality, you have no real idea as to whether or not it will work.

Point is, you shouldn't make qualifying statements as such, if you're not informed enough to do so. This also means providing proof to back up your claims since guessing isn't good enough.

I simply would advise not taking it apart unless you have the proper documentation and tools, and unless you're ready to run the possible risk of breaking something. But you're a big boy, and im sure you know this already. Plus hey... safe= zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Doug

ThePope43 03-14-2011 09:50 AM

Yeah lol I'm actually waiting on a reply from ifixit right now before I go any further. I don't see why the camera wouldn't work considering ios 4.3 is ios 4.3 no matter which device it's on :P

If we can jailbreak these devices, I'm sure we can swap a camera out!

BTW, appreciate about the only positive reply Doug lol

RavingMac 03-14-2011 10:06 AM

Be sure to post pictures.

Hope it goes well for you . . . not something I would attempt, but if you make it work you will definitely have bragging rights for a while on iPad modifications. :)

iWhat 03-14-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMACMan (Post 1201526)
I think you probably could... But looking at the tear down procedure it seems like their would be a possibility of breaking the screen. So I am not sure if it's a risk worth taking.

I swear I came across an article that said dismantling an iPad 2 that is great risk of breaking the screen. But I'm not finding it now.

JohnCL 03-14-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWhat (Post 1202054)
I swear I came across an article that said dismantling an iPad 2 that is great risk of breaking the screen. But I'm not finding it now.

iFixit also said it here in step 5

ThePope43 03-14-2011 01:44 PM

They also said on step 5:

Quote:

We'll be investigating the best way to get inside over the next few weeks.
So in the meantime as I wait for my reply, I will wait to see if they find any easier way to do so.

eddiddiums 03-14-2011 02:15 PM

Wow! That is a pretty cool idea! I mean it looks like a lot of work but if someone has the expertise to make this happen I would be curious to know what the OS would do with the input from the iPhone 4 camera. Keep us posted if you do this!

TattooedMac 03-14-2011 03:05 PM

Go for it Pope ole mate. I for one look forward to seeing the outcome if there is one at all . . . Subscribed to this thread as now you have mentioned it you have to do it ;P lol

I like these things and you can watch people think outside the box, like the thread (which i cant find) where a member made a Cinema Display from other monitors. The photos made it so much better.

Will look again when i get home from work Pope as im sure you would appreciate the ingenuity of the Member :)
If Nick reads this im sure he posted in that thread as well ?? Hint hint lol

Good on ya

Cheers

GNR 03-14-2011 03:36 PM

//Why do people wanna take great pictures with a tablet soo bad? //

My thoughts exactly until I tried it in apple story

Having a big view finder was neat and was a hassleblad'ish experience.