New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Put iPhone 4 replacement camera in iPad 2?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Well give me time to get some information back from iFixit. I've looked up high-res images of the camera for the iPhone 4 and the camera for the iPad 2 and the only small problem I'm seeing (without having to open my iPad 2 or buy an iPhone 4 replacement camera) is that the ribbon connectors are on opposite sides. I will show you:

iPad 2 rear camera:

iPhone 4 rear camera:

Once I get more information from iFixit I will let you know!

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
wkarraker

wkarraker is on a distinguished road

If you take a look at the two cameras (in post #16) there are significant differences between the number of pins in each connector. I'd say trying to adapt the camera from the iPhone 4 to the iPad 2 would not be an easy task, you would have to match up the pin-outs of the camera modules. It is also unlikely the iPad has a compatible interface chip on the main board that will match up to the horizontal and vertical grid that the new camera would provide even if the connectors were the same size.

Even if you can get a better camera into the iPad you still would be limited in capabilities. No flash and optical zoom on a $500 iDevice kinda makes a $99 12Mega pixel cameras look a little more appealing. Using the Camera Connection kit you can plug a usb cable or SD card into the 30 pin port and it works great. Using the iPad screen and the faster processors the images scale and rotate with very little delay.
QUOTE Thanks
codered190

codered190 is on a distinguished road

DigiExpress - iPad 2 LCD / Digitizer Repair - YouTube
found this video while surfing for ways to fix up scratches on the ipad shell (which i still need help with *wink*) i hope this helps somewhat. This seems like an interesting project
QUOTE Thanks
tahiti18

tahiti18 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

New to the forum! Just wanted to pass on my experience with Opening up the ipad2. The day came when my ipad2 met the pavement and the glass shattered. So I decided to tackle the problem myself. I ordered a new digitizer screen, all the tools and studied videos on you tube for a while. iPad 1 is definitely easier to take apart than 2G iPad. The 2 has plenty of 3m super sticky strips to hold the screen while the 1 has proprietary screws. So there is definitely an over 50/50 probability of cracking your screen while doing the theoretical replacement of the ipad2 camera. There is also a chance to damage the antenna for wifi reception and several other sensitive elements. It's a bit like diffusing a bomb . ... Lol

After i replaced the screen and put the ipad back together again, the home button was not properly functioning.To cut a long story short it took me over
six hours to complete the operation and have everything working normally. The
Process of simply prying the screen apart from the super glued strips was a nightmare.

I am an avid photographer and would love a high quality camera in my iPad, however, just the thought of opening up the unit again is enough to send me running in the opposite direction. Well, thats's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti18 View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum! Just wanted to pass on my experience with Opening up the ipad2. The day came when my ipad2 met the pavement and the glass shattered. So I decided to tackle the problem myself. I ordered a new digitizer screen, all the tools and studied videos on you tube for a while. iPad 1 is definitely easier to take apart than 2G iPad. The 2 has plenty of 3m super sticky strips to hold the screen while the 1 has proprietary screws. So there is definitely an over 50/50 probability of cracking your screen while doing the theoretical replacement of the ipad2 camera. There is also a chance to damage the antenna for wifi reception and several other sensitive elements. It's a bit like diffusing a bomb . ... Lol

After i replaced the screen and put the ipad back together again, the home button was not properly functioning.To cut a long story short it took me over
six hours to complete the operation and have everything working normally. The
Process of simply prying the screen apart from the super glued strips was a nightmare.

I am an avid photographer and would love a high quality camera in my iPad, however, just the thought of opening up the unit again is enough to send me running in the opposite direction. Well, thats's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Thanks for sharing that, and welcome to the Forums.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Must be nice to have the money to waste on VERY possibly ruining both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 just to experiment (this refers to the OP, not tahiti) ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipad 2...Help?? | Download videos from youtube »