New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 2's on Craig's List Already!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Well only hours after the iPad2 release...I'm already seeing iPad 2's showing up on Craig's List...at highly exaggerated prices!!!

I'm seeing $499 16gig Wifi models with asking prices of $750...and $699 64 gig Wifi models with asking prices of $950 to $1000.

On one hand I'm thinking that these folks are really ripping potential buyers off. But then on the other hand I'm thinking that most buyers are pretty well informed as to the prices Apple is charging, so if they're over-paying for these iPad's...they're doing it consciously.

- Nick

p.s. Not exactly your "normal" B/S/T thread...but figured since Craig's List was being discussed it belonged here. Or maybe it belongs in "Anything Goes".

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

people steal all manner of things. when Call Of Duty black Ops came out, my local second hand shop had about 40- 50 of them around a week before release time.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
people steal all manner of things. when Call Of Duty black Ops came out, my local second hand shop had about 40- 50 of them around a week before release time.
Yeah...I know what you're saying. It was the same way with:

- iPhone 3 & 4's
- iPad 1.0's
- PS3's when they first came out
- etc. etc.

iPad 2.0's are just the "gizmo" of the moment folks are trying to make some money on. But again...it's not like most potential buyer's don't know that they're paying way above Apple's price.

So if a buyer is willing to pay the premium price...I guess they shouldn't be angry with the buyer' asking price (since they could always buy via Apple...they just may have to wait a while).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

i would never buy anything like this from a dodgy back street seller. anyone willing to pay 1000$ for an ipad via craigslist, privately, isn't right in the head to be honest. they obviously havent added 2+2 together...

he has an ipad 2 - they are not released yet - double Apples price - selling privately?

all suspicions point to theft.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
i would never buy anything like this from a dodgy back street seller. anyone willing to pay 1000$ for an ipad via craigslist, privately, isn't right in the head to be honest. they obviously havent added 2+2 together...

he has an ipad 2 - they are not released yet - double Apples price - selling privately?

all suspicions point to theft.
In this case (in the United States where the iPad 2 is released & available)...there's really nothing "criminal" or "dodgy" going on. Just supply & demand...stores don't have enough inventory...and there are some folks that just have to have it today...so they pay the premium price.

But if we're talking international...where some countries the iPad 2 isn't released yet...that is also where people in the US are trying to sell to folks internationally at higher prices via e-Bay.

In this thread I'm mostly talking about Craig's List in the United States...and how quickly people are posting iPad 2's for sale...at higher prices. In the US (where the Apple Stores have some inventory...or you can order online & have to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery)...it seems silly to over-pay for an iPad 2.

But internationally (where the release of the iPad 2 may be months away)...I can see some folks with a lot of money (or just want one NOW)...are willing to pay higher prices (or wait months).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

ahh i see, i didn't realise they were available in the US now.

i really should have, seeing as you mentioned it right at the beginning!

i suppose "impatience is a virtue" for these sellers. i personally would just wait for them to be back in stock.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ahh i see, i didn't realise they were available in the US now.
Yes...they've been available for a whole 4.5 hours now. That's what all of the excitement is today in the US...first day the iPad 2 is available!

When I first posted this thread...the iPad 2 had only been available 3 hours...and folks already had them on Craig's List for sale (just 3 hours or less later).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

it is al over ebay as well.. i saw one 64g wifi for 1,300... that is insane.. this is why I just ordered mine this morning..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
it is al over ebay as well.. i saw one 64g wifi for 1,300... that is insane.. this is why I just ordered mine this morning..
Yeah...I didn't check e-Bay yet. You know that's got to be a real "ZOO" on e-Bay with the outrageous pricing!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

I don't get why people wouldn't just order online and get one in a couple weeks instead of paying some retarded amount.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

MacMan886 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 250GB HD

It's nothing but a race of who has the latest and greatest first. And when it comes to that, people will pay big amounts. Look at the Prius when it came out.... people were paying in upwards of $10-15k OVER the MSRP.

I am with the other crowd. I would order it at regular price and simply wait. Good things come to those who wait.

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 256GB HD, Yosemite
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad2 Inventory status? | Extended Warranty »