New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

glass smudges won't wipe off ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lindamm99

lindamm99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)

The smudges on the glass of my ipad don't rub off easy any more. I use it a lot and it's not scratched. I never put a film on it because it's not supposed to need one. Anyway, I used to use a soft cloth and they would wipe right off and they still do around the edges. But the middle part of the screen takes a lot of rubbing to get clean. I have to keep breathing on it or use a little eyeglass cleaner. I never used any other cleaner on it. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anything can be done. I'm thinking it might be a protective coating like they use on camera lenses.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Try using a damp microfiber cloth. That usually does the trick for me when I have stubborn smudges.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
lindamm99

I get the smudges off with eyeglass cleaner but I wanted to know if anyone else has the problem of having a hard time with it. I'd like to know if there is a protective coating on the glass that can be replaced or repaired. When I'm out with it I don't have a damp cloth available and a plain soft cloth isn't working.
Does anyone know if the glass can be replaced and if it would be covered under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Why don't you install an Invisible Shield on it and you will not have that problem again and your iPad will be protected with a lifetime guarantee from Zagg.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

eyeglass cleaner with microfiber cloth. No problems cleaning, it's clear as a bell.
QUOTE Thanks
lindamm99

Installing a shield now won't fix the damage done. My question is is there a permanent remedy such as redoing the coating if there is one, or replacement of the glass. And would the warranty cover it. I know eyeglass cleaner will clean it, honest.

When I am away from home and don't have a damp cloth handy, the glare from the smudges is bad and makes it hard to see. Yes again, I know eyeglass cleaner or damp cloth will work. I have glaucoma and this is a real problem for me.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

There is no damage. Just use cleaner or water and a microfiber cloth. You just need to clean it more regularly if it bothers you a lot.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Still using the "same" microfiber cloth? Or been using the same one for a while now?

Has it been washed or are you just smearing the collected oil from the cloth back onto your device?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Best thing to do is clean it thoroughly and then install a film that will prevent future smudges

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Isn't there a coating on the glass that is resistant to oil, which allows easier cleaning of the glass? I think that was something they started with the 3GS. I noticed that my iphone 4 was very easy to wipe off in comparison to my old 3G, but lately it seems more difficult. Maybe using cleaners on the glass wears off the nice coating faster and takes it down to the bare glass which is harder to get oils off of.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Isn't there a coating on the glass that is resistant to oil, which allows easier cleaning of the glass?
There is, but if you don't clean it often, or to bobtomay's point, are using a cloth that's not clean itself, there's not much the coating is going to help with.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
lindamm99

I guess I am not being clear. Yes I use a clean cloth. I don't need to know how to clean it, I need to know if it's fixable. I don't want to cover it, I want to either get it recoated or reglassed. I was thinking maybe it's even buffable but that doesn't sound like it's likely. I'll take it in to the Apple store and see what they can do. It is still under warranty but I can't find any info as to whether or not it's covered.
I remember once that I was holding the ipad and reading and a fly landed on the screen. It could not get any traction and actually slid down to the bottom before it took off. Slick glass.
Anyway, ipad two soon, I'll get a film for it.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I probably shouldn't clorox wipe mine again (or at least not as often as I have) but fortunately it's no worse for wear. Nano-coatings are remarkable.
QUOTE Thanks
lindamm99

I've never used alcohol wipes or anything like that. I'll know better to protect the next one. I simply wore it out. I did all the 3 star and top scores on Angry Birds, Fragger, Cover Orange, Cogs, Labyrinth, Ragdoll, and a lot more. I'm retired. Don't have nuttin else to do.
I have dropped it several times and I was really surprised that it didn't break. Good stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamm99 View Post
I've never used alcohol wipes or anything like that. I'll know better to protect the next one. I simply wore it out. I did all the 3 star and top scores on Angry Birds, Fragger, Cover Orange, Cogs, Labyrinth, Ragdoll, and a lot more. I'm retired. Don't have nuttin else to do.
I have dropped it several times and I was really surprised that it didn't break. Good stuff.
Sounds like you got your money's worth out of the display LOL. With that kind of action I'm surprised you didn't wear a rut in the glass!

Came across this since you got me curious about the displays and coatings in general - Apple-Front-Glass-Digitizer-Screen or this DigiExpress - so yes - you could probably get it fixed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad2 specs Meh, considering buying iPad 1..a few questions... | ? about ordering iPad online »