New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Quandary - Verizon or AT&T iPad2?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Here's my quandary: I have two iPhones and an iPad all with AT&T service. The newest iOs revision will allow my iPhone 4 to be a mobile hotspot for an iPad, If I read the announcements correctly. Soooooo, If I pick up a new iPad2 in the wifi and 3G Verizon version, will I be able to use an AT&T iPhone4 as a mobile hotspot for the iPad2 but still be able to use it's native Verizon 3G when I wish?

Decisions, decisions, decisions
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yes, you could.

However also consider that AT&T is now offering a post paid 3G for the iPad that can be combined onto your wireless bill. So if that's something you'd want to do, then get the AT&T 3G version.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

you have to get the tethering option activated on you plan to use your phone as a hotspot either way you will have to pay two times. but if you just get the wifi one and activate the option to have a mobile hotspot on your phone you will only have one bill. Just take the extra money you are saving and get the next size up. I wanna get the 64 gig

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Go with the Verizon iPad2 3G and wifi and tether it with iOs 4.3 to my AT&T iPhone4. Best of all worlds.

"Get online in more places.

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life."
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Another reason to go ATT if this is true.

Study finds AT&T iPhone downloads twice as fast as Verizon's

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Another reason to go ATT if this is true.

Study finds AT&T iPhone downloads twice as fast as Verizon's
It is true. GSM 3G is faster than CDMA 3G. This is true anywhere on any carrier.

QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

It should be an AT&T iPad2 for the data transfer speed and availability. I don't care about the phone ability on an iPad but it has always been adequate on my iPhone 3GS and 4.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

So I should not buy the Verizon version. I have a Verizon cell phone though and will be buying the iPhone 5 on Verizon as well. Hmmmm...

I believe I have read quite a few different reports on this ATT is faster.. but you will get service in more places with Verizon.

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
Go with the Verizon iPad2 3G and wifi and tether it with iOs 4.3 to my AT&T iPhone4. Best of all worlds.

"Get online in more places.

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life."

One more time, the HotSpot option isn't coming to the iPad. It sucks I know. But it was made clear as rain by Jobs in the keynot, also go to Apple - iOS 4.3 Software Update it clearly says HotSpot for iPhone 4 to share the cellular network with your iPad.

Sorry for bursting the bubble.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
but you will get service in more places with Verizon.
Not true.

Both carriers have pretty good coverage. There are places that are better for one than the other, but I wouldn't say either has a noticeable advantage in overall coverage area.

Judge which carrier's coverage based on where you'll primarily be using your iPad. Here for example AT&T is great and Verizon is decent but it's spotty. In San Francisco, AT&T is bad, but Verizon is good. Just depends.

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

I see.. well I am in South Florida.. Coverage on both are pretty strong ( so their coverage maps say ). But since I have Verizon already I think I will stick with them. Let you know how it goes. I had some problems with ATT sometimes in the past with reception like 1 year ago and dont feel like going back to them.

My girl has had Verizon for a years and always has service, and my iPhone 4 was acting stupid ( dropped every other call ) which is why I went back to Verizon reception is great.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

For the OP on coverage.
I live in Arkansas but two of my kids went to Virginia Tech. Coverage for ATT was much better here than Verizon, but when we went to visit the kids coverage wasn't nearly as good on our ATT phones. Admittedly this has been a number of years ago (four at least) and things change.
FWIW, longwinded way to say you need to check how the coverage is where you live and operate.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

Does anyone know if activating the hotspot feature will allow me to keep my unlimited data plan on my iPhone4, or will I have to step down to a 2GB plan? I also have the unlimited plan on my iPad3G... and I am hesitant to drop my data plan and go with tethering, since I won't be able to go back.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Does anyone know if activating the hotspot feature will allow me to keep my unlimited data plan on my iPhone4, or will I have to step down to a 2GB plan? I also have the unlimited plan on my iPad3G... and I am hesitant to drop my data plan and go with tethering, since I won't be able to go back.
You have to change plans to add tethering or hotspot. So you'll lose your unlimited plan.

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
You have to change plans to add tethering or hotspot. So you'll lose your unlimited plan.
That sucks Verizon has unlimited plans.. Just can't surf and be on the phone at the same time until they get the iPhone 5 on LTE, which will have a sim. I hear ATT will got to LTE as well, but they are being stingy with data.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Great Apple customer service experience! | Skype on I pad 1 or 2 »