New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 2 with 3G

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Houranis

Houranis is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'd like to buy iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, but I have some pre-purchase questions.
- Is it required to buy AT&T contract? (I already have AT&T 3G SIM Card).
- I usually go to Europe which they're using HSDPA 2100, can I install European 3G card in iPad 2 with no problems?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

No, it is not required to purchase a data plan. The beauty of the iPad setup is that you can purchase 3G data whenever you like, there is no long term contract like with cellphones.

The iPad is technically unlocked, but to get 3G speeds, you're limited to 850MHz, 1900MHz, and 2100MHz bands.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penicillon View Post
Hi,
I'd like to buy iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, but I have some pre-purchase questions.
- Is it required to buy AT&T contract? (I already have AT&T 3G SIM Card).
- I usually go to Europe which they're using HSDPA 2100, can I install European 3G card in iPad 2 with no problems?
TAW has it from the horse's mouth that the iPad 2 is not carrier locked and you should be able to use in Europe no problemo.

Confirmed: iPad 2 will NOT be carrier-locked in Canada, or anywhere else
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Verizon version.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
TAW has it from the horse's mouth that the iPad 2 is not carrier locked and you should be able to use in Europe no problemo.

Confirmed: iPad 2 will NOT be carrier-locked in Canada, or anywhere else
I read the link you provided and I am somewhat concerned that it means if I am travelling I need to bring my laptop loaded with iTunes (which my PC based laptop is not) to resync if I travel say to the States and want to get a months worth of coverage there. Seems kinda crazy that you would have to have a laptop to get the ipad to do what it is replacing the laptop for ie; checking email, web surfing etc.

Also, if travelling to the US is there any problem with a (in my case Canadian) using my Canadian Mastercard to purchase a months worth of ipad data and a sim card. I thought I read somewhere that this may be a problem and you would have to maybe go and buy one of those credit cards where you preload money onto it???
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLicious View Post
I read the link you provided and I am somewhat concerned that it means if I am travelling I need to bring my laptop loaded with iTunes (which my PC based laptop is not) to resync if I travel say to the States and want to get a months worth of coverage there. Seems kinda crazy that you would have to have a laptop to get the ipad to do what it is replacing the laptop for ie; checking email, web surfing etc.
That's interesting. I hadn't previously seen the update to the article that addresses this issue, but it does seem to be limited to Canadians. Of course that's of no consolation to a Canadian... but yes, that is insane.

Quote:
Also, if travelling to the US is there any problem with a (in my case Canadian) using my Canadian Mastercard to purchase a months worth of ipad data and a sim card. I thought I read somewhere that this may be a problem and you would have to maybe go and buy one of those credit cards where you preload money onto it???
It shouldn't be a problem since it's MasterCard, however I would call them to verify this.
QUOTE Thanks
Houranis

What about iPad 1, is it unlocked?
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone else think the growing prevalence and affordability of mifi devices is going to make a 3g iPad a bad investment? I can see just getting a mifi for laptop, iPad, iPods, etc and not worrying about individual iPad 3g connectivity.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis View Post
Does anyone else think the growing prevalence and affordability of mifi devices is going to make a 3g iPad a bad investment? I can see just getting a mifi for laptop, iPad, iPods, etc and not worrying about individual iPad 3g connectivity.
Well I for one wouldn't want to carry an iPad and a MiFi device around. If you have an iPhone 4+, then that can be the MiFi device thanks to the upcoming update. I haven't seen mention of the Personal Hotspot being an option for the iPad, but there's no good reason not to. Perhaps they are waiting to release the 3G models of the iPad 2. So if anything, I see MiFi devices as the ones in danger here.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penicillon View Post
What about iPad 1, is it unlocked?
Yes, though I don't know if it has the same restrictions as the iPad 2 does per discussion here earlier.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis View Post
Nah, who wants two devices to lug around? Also, MiFi, and even iPhone hotspot functionality usually require post-paid or contractual service. MiFi also requires an activation fee (and you have to pay the fee again if you don't use the service for 3 months). The 3G on the iPad is a pay as you go. I can choose when I need it, however infrequent that might be, and just pay for it then.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Houranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Yes, though I don't know if it has the same restrictions as the iPad 2 does per discussion here earlier.
iPad 1 is also limited to 850, 1900, 2100 MHz, and Europe uses 2100, so I guess iPad 1 is also working in Europe with no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

The problem I have with MiFi type devices is the data usage. Some of them claim to have "unlimited" data plans, but may cut your speed if you go over a certain amount. Also, they can change your contract at any time, so what they claim now might not hold true in a month.

I won't be canceling my iPad AT&T unlimited data plan any time soon. Truly unlimited and only $30 a month.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad stylus | iPad 2 Announced »