New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

ipad 1--$350 good value?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

samnc

samnc is on a distinguished road

Hello all. I have had a passing interest in a tablet, but it seems more and more like something i would like to get. Originally, I wanted an ebook with web capabilities, but now I think an ipad can give me more for not much more money.

I am thinking about the refurb ipad for $350 (wifi only, v. 1.0) I was curious if you thought this was a good deal--i am really not sure what the ipad 2 offers other than a camera, more speed, and a thinner design.

Or, do you think I should wait until the rumored ipad 3 comes out--if that comes out, I would really like the rumored higher-res display. Any thoughts? I hate talking about v3 after v2 just got announced, but that is a consideration I have.

Finally, the ipad allows you to see youtube right---is the flash incapability a big problem?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Nobody knows anything about the iPad 3 or even when it may possibly come out.

The iPad 1 is still a great tablet and it's a good value if you don't want to spend the extra for the iPad 2.

There's a YouTube app on the iPad, you can watch YouTube stuff without any issues.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

The original iPad was a good deal at 499-829...its definitely a good deal at 350.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

LOL iPad 3 when iPad 2 is only hours old . . . . .

The human race will never be happy with what we have now . ...

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

I am curious, I see that garageband can be used on the iPad 2. Can it be used on the original ipad?

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post
I am curious, I see that garageband can be used on the iPad 2. Can it be used on the original ipad?

probably

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post
Best wait till March 11 when it's released then you'll know.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope43 View Post
probably
Not necessarily. The processor on the new iPad is much much faster than the original.

Just like iMovie can only be used on the iPhone 4.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I think it's a great deal! I'm seriously considering getting one of these over the new one as I don't need the cameras and I think I'd mostly use it for web-based tasks that will be just as functional on the original with 4.3 as it will be on the new one. (Pretty sure dual core processing can't enhance web-based tasks)

Also, if I get the new one I can just see my girlfriend taking it all the time to use and I would end up with her first gen anyway!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

$350 is a really good offer, but I know I wouldn't find it too hard to justify the extra bucks for the newer model

But for most of my relatives that would be a great deal!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipad 2 allowed as a hotspot for iphone | 1 Big Reason Why iPad 2 SUCKS & So Does Apple... »