New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Has anyone ever gone to the US to grab an iPad/iPhone before release date in Canada?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

I am in Canada, but I really want an iPad 2. I would prefer to get it when it is released, instead of March 25th. Just wondering if anyone has bought any apple products released in the US before Canada, and if so, how it works at customs/border. Is it worth it? Any additional fees, etc

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post
I am in Canada, but I really want an iPad 2. I would prefer to get it when it is released, instead of March 25th. Just wondering if anyone has bought any apple products released in the US before Canada, and if so, how it works at customs/border. Is it worth it? Any additional fees, etc
Hopefully I got the correct page. Here is the FAQ page for the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) regarding travel across the border:

General-Frequently Asked Questions

I think that if you're being 100% honest...there's a maximum dollar amount (somewhere around $100) of items you purchase that you can bring back across the border (US back into Canada)...before you have to pay some sort of tax or tariff.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Does 14 days make that much of a difference to you? You will have to pay duty if you are declaring it at customs not to mention the time wasted driving down there and back, and the time you spend in the line-up in the customs office waiting to pay your duty which could be sizeable. Based on purchases I have made in the past I am going to guess you might end up paying upwards of $100 duty.

Personally I plan to wait til the 25th at 00:01 or whenever we can first order online to place my order and sit back and wait for UPS to deliver it.
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yeah, I was just curious how much it would really cost. I had no idea, so that is why I asked. Getting over to the states is really not that hard for me.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

Okay, if you live close it's not such a big deal. For me it's a 2hr drive to the border, then the lineup to cross over the border. With gas here around $1.23 a litre and the cost of the duty, I'll wait.
I've decided I may get it engraved with something somewhat generic in case I ever want to sell it to upgrade.
Hope you don't get dinged too much for duty, or maybe you'll get a nice gadget-friendly border guard who will let you cross over without paying??? Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLicious View Post
I've decided I may get it engraved with something somewhat generic in case I ever want to sell it to upgrade.!
Why even get it engraved then?

No point in trying to get one across the border. Be patient - wait until the end of the month.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yeah, I am going to wait...I took a moment to look back and realize it's not that big of a deal and I can wait haha

QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

I want my iPad to be easily distinguished from the other possible iPad's that the rest of the family will want after they see and play around with mine!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLicious View Post
I want my iPad to be easily distinguished from the other possible iPad's that the rest of the family will want after they see and play around with mine!!
There are less permanent ways to personalize your iPad than getting it engraved.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Not to mention you could drive all the way over here just to wait in line for them not to have any more. That would really stink.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yeah that would! Although, I have been pretty good at judging the lines in recent years. That is always a negative possibility.

QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

Now, that being said, If I was in my home in florida and something came out that I really wanted I would just buy it and go carry on back with me! none the wiser.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

Yes you could take that chance that you are not the random vehicle they pull over for a search. Usually people that do that ditch the box and any paperwork that came with it to do that, or mail them home. Either way, I can wait.
QUOTE Thanks
gordoon

gordoon is on a distinguished road

I believe computer equipment coming into Canada is duty-free. Check http://www.myborderpro.com/2006/

gordoon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 Big Reason Why iPad 2 SUCKS & So Does Apple... | preparing for ipad »