New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

ipad 2 allowed as a hotspot for iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

they said that the ipad 2 can be used as a hotspot for iphones only. um. isnt a data plan required for an iphone anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's the other way around. The iPhone 4 will offer the hotspot feature, which the iPad and other devices can access.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I was trying to get my head around that too! It still doesn't make sense as it is. I can use a mifi or similar hotspot to connect to current ipads. This makes it sound like it's locked down, but that's not possible. I must be missing something.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I was trying to get my head around that too! It still doesn't make sense as it is. I can use a mifi or similar hotspot to connect to current ipads. This makes it sound like it's locked down, but that's not possible. I must be missing something.
You won't need a mifi or similar device. The iPhone 4 will be the hotspot.

...unless I'm understanding it incorrectly??

My biggest question is will this be a feature we have to pay for on our AT&T or Verizon bill each month or will it be free with the iOS update? Cause if my iPhone 4 becomes a hotspot for my wi-fi only iPad for free I will be excited.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Vipor

Vipor will become famous soon enough

Awesome! If it turns out that way MYmacROX, I too would be totally excited. That alone might sway me to take the plunge and finally snag myself an iPad.

2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post

My biggest question is will this be a feature we have to pay for on our AT&T or Verizon bill each month or will it be free with the iOS update? Cause if my iPhone 4 becomes a hotspot for my wi-fi only iPad for free I will be excited.
Just conjecture here but im thinking it would be free . . . . There trying to take the JailBreakers out of the equation . . . . . . Good move IMO

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post

I would assume it means that you'll be able to use it to the extent of your current data plan, and anything that goes over, you'll have to pay x amount of dollars for per MB.

Or not of course. Usually companies like ATT have plans outside of their regular cell service for devices which act as a modem *phone hot spot* And those services usually cost in the neighborhood of $60

Ah, life outside ATT, Verizon and the unjailbroken iPhone is great! Because there are PLENTY of places here in NYC which don't do free wifi, and that phone tether can come in real handy over 4G, especially in situations when I'm shooting tethered on location.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Vipor

Vipor will become famous soon enough

FYI... a snipit from a news release article .... check the last sentence... looks like the iPad is the one that becomes the hotspot. hmmmm...

Noting the importance of integrating software with hardware, Jobs debuted a new iteration of the operating system that powers the iFamily: iOS 4.3, which adds a handful of new features, such as a faster mobile web browser and iTunes home sharing. It also turns the iPad into a personal hotspot, connecting all nearby Apple gizmos to the web.

FoxNews.com - Apple's Steve Jobs Takes Stage to Unveil iPad 2

2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipor View Post

FYI... a snipit from a news release article .... check the last sentence... looks like the iPad is the one that becomes the hotspot. hmmmm...

Noting the importance of integrating software with hardware, Jobs debuted a new iteration of the operating system that powers the iFamily: iOS 4.3, which adds a handful of new features, such as a faster mobile web browser and iTunes home sharing. It also turns the iPad into a personal hotspot, connecting all nearby Apple gizmos to the web.

FoxNews.com - Apple's Steve Jobs Takes Stage to Unveil iPad 2
I have my doubts.

The iOS 4.3 page on apple.com LINK makes it sound like only the iPhone 4 is the hotspot. If you scroll down to the hotspot section of the features, it specifically says "Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4".

Quote:
Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device.
No mention of using the feature on any other iOS device other than iPhone 4...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I checked my account with ATT (US) and to use tethering would require:

a) I give up my current unlimited data plan
b) select $45/month 4gb plan (DataPro 4GB for iPhone Tethering)

EDIT: I think from what I read it does work with any iPhone running IOS 4.3

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I would assume it means that you'll be able to use it to the extent of your current data plan, and anything that goes over, you'll have to pay x amount of dollars for per MB.
No, for both AT&T and Verizon, the Hotspot tethering plan is an extra $20 per month on top of your data and you are given 2gb of data just for the tethering that is not part of your normal data plan.

It's really a big ripoff.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

This just doesn't make sense to me.

- If you have the hotspot plan for the iPhone ANY wifi device can connect to it and access the internet.
- If you have a wifi iPad, it can connect to ANY device acting as a hotspot.
- The iPad acting as a hotspot for only the iPhone is pointless and backwards since the phone itself is connected to the cell network.

So that only leaves the idea that there is some special connectivity between the iPhone and iPad. But what's special about it? Discounted rate? Totally free? I really doubt any provider would allow free hotspot connectivity, even if it's limited to one device.

Maybe there will be some $10 per month add-on to allow tethering between iPhone and iPad, using your existing data plan limits, which would be a step in the right direction the current ripoff tethering models. Especially if you can keep your unlimited plan. Or maybe it will be offered for free but you have to give up your unlimited plan to get it, which would also be a good move and help AT&T get rid of old unlimited plans.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
- The iPad acting as a hotspot for only the iPhone is pointless and backwards since the phone itself is connected to the cell network.
That doesn't exist. Someone misunderstood and posted it, but that's not real.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« white ipad 2 to be released same time as regular ipad 2 | ipad 1--$350 good value? »