New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

using the ipad to read your magazine subscriptions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

Does anybody actually use their ipad to read magazine subscriptions? This is something that I would actually like to do and I've noticed that some magazines are joining the revolution and offering a digitial version of their magazine and others have partnered with Zinio to offer a digital version of their magazine.

If anybody has converted their subscription to a digital version, I'd like to hear your feedback on how well (or not well) the ipad is in terms of your viewing experience. Is it conveinent? Is it easy to view the contents? Is there a delay in receiving the digital subscription version?

Some details would be nice too. Such as if you're using Zinio or a direct digital subscription with the magazine. If you only view it on the ipad or do you view it on other computers and if so, what computers? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I bought a 1 year subscription to MacWorld through Zinio (I also have a hard copy subscription). So far it is fairly good, I will probably not renew the hard copy and just stick with digital.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
halfmonkey

halfmonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I bought a 1 year subscription to MacWorld through Zinio (I also have a hard copy subscription). So far it is fairly good, I will probably not renew the hard copy and just stick with digital.
Have you experienced any problems that cause you to say that it's "fairly good" and not awesome? If so, please elaborate.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
Have you experienced any problems that cause you to say that it's "fairly good" and not awesome? If so, please elaborate.
No problems per se, just that digital subscriptions tend to be considerably more expensive than I am used to paying for the hard copy. And, the experience of reading a paper magazine is a little better than the digital--though you have the trade-offs of convenience and availability, plus lack of clutter with the digital.
If the prices were similar I would never subscribe to a hard copy magazine again. But that doesn't mean reading the paper version isn't a marginally better experience.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
just that digital subscriptions tend to be considerably more expensive than I am used to paying for the hard copy.
Your kidding ?? I havnt looked in on too many iPad threads and didnt realise that the Digital subscription is more expensive .... So my question is how are they justifying the higher prices ?? As with probably alot of people thinking no paper, means no physical delivery means cheaper magazine ??
Obviously not.
Is it just MacWorld or does it go for a lot of the magazines ?? I do get quite a lot of 'Mags' and a iPad was on the distant horizon, and as yet havnt researched the subscriptions but if you could give your input ??
Sorry OP hope its not to far off topic for this thread

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I think almost all digital magazines so far have prices that are far higher than their print editions right now.

That's the biggest reason I refuse to deal with digital magazines. Not to mention, most magazines just look better in print.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I receive multiple subscriptioins via zinio - aside from Zinio's quite annoying habit of sending 20+ emails per month - the magazine quality is very good.

I have a half dozen subscriptions incl'g Smithsonian, National Geo and have not renewed my paper subscription to PC Magazine and receive that one via my iPad.

They have a reader, I understand, that can be used on the computer, but I have never used it.

Aside from the tactile feel and smell of a good magazine, the quality is equal or in some cases superior to the paper version only due to being able to enlarge photos and video incl'd in the digital versions.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Your kidding ?? I havnt looked in on too many iPad threads and didnt realise that the Digital subscription is more expensive .... So my question is how are they justifying the higher prices ?? As with probably alot of people thinking no paper, means no physical delivery means cheaper magazine ??
Obviously not.
Is it just MacWorld or does it go for a lot of the magazines ?? I do get quite a lot of 'Mags' and a iPad was on the distant horizon, and as yet havnt researched the subscriptions but if you could give your input ??
Sorry OP hope its not to far off topic for this thread

Cheers
Macworld digital version is $19.99/year. I paid something around $20 for a two year hard copy subscription (been a while so I can't remember exactly what I paid).
Honestly, my main complaint with digital is what I see unjustified higher price. Having said that I will probably not use Zinio for renewals or future purchases if there are any other options.
I got an email offer of 20% off Macworld from Zinio, followed the link and subscribed and ended up being charged the full price. It isn't worth my time and effort to chase after them for $4, but it left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to doing any future business with them.

I really like the idea of having full access to my magazine library without the stacks of back issues (my wife is always asking me if we can pitch old magazines--so far I have resisted). So, if the prices come down I will definitely go digital.

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Not to hijack this thread but what I want to know is if you get to keep the file on your iPad or saved to a hard drive rather than only accessing the digital magazines from the cloud? The reason I'm asking is that some magazines go out of business and I don't want to lose the valuable information from some of their past magazines.

From previewing some magazines available for the computer I can see the quick search benefit is a huge advantage for digital. It's much easier and quicker than trying to search through my stacks of physical magazine in order to find just one article. The only reason why I keep old magazines is to re-read something to refresh my memory on that topic and to use it as a reference so a quick cataloging search further is very useful.

I am disappointed that the digital versions cost more but hopefully the price will go down once more people sign up for it. The extra cost might be due to them hiring extra employees to create the digital versions. I'm just making a guess. That should change if digital becomes normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Macatastic

Macatastic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black

Some interesting pricing policies going on here.

For example,

MacWorld US $24.97 (on offer @ $19.97) for 12 mags
MacWorld UK 49.99 for 14 mags - thats $80

However UK Zinio 39.99 for 14 mags - cheaper than the hard copy?

However the US mag from the UK Zinio site is only 12.44 for 12 mags??!!

As they say - GO FIGURE

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

When you weigh in the cost to produce the digital copy currently, the number of copies sold, and the fact that Apple is taking 30% off the top, my guess is that many don't have a lot of option in the price point currently.

This is assuming it's not just a scan of the paper version, the ones doing that should be about even, even after Apple's 30% cut.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Interesting timing. I just got an email from Macworld offering to extend my digital subscription for $14.97 for twelve more issues. I will be taking advantage of the offer.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Interesting timing. I just got an email from Macworld offering to extend my digital subscription for $14.97 for twelve more issues. I will be taking advantage of the offer.
So there is no sour taste anymore then ??

Quote:
I got an email offer of 20% off Macworld from Zinio, followed the link and subscribed and ended up being charged the full price. It isn't worth my time and effort to chase after them for $4, but it left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to doing any future business with them.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
So there is no sour taste anymore then ??
Actually this email came directly from Macworld.

My annoyance was with Zinio who sent me a 20% off offer that somehow disappeared during the purchase process.

I just extended and the link to me direct to Macworld site, not Zinio. Though with subscription changes Apple is instituting won't be able to do this much longer.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

I got to thinking about the renewal eMail I received from Macworld for my digital subscription (so I thought since it was in reply to my recent order, or so it said). So I went back and looked and followed the link again and found to my chagrin that I had apparently extended my hard copy subscription. However, there is good news.

I called Macworld customer service and found out:
1) I could have simply had my hard copy subscription converted to digital--no need to do a new subscription for the electronic version. So those of you who have hard copy and want to switch all it takes is a call to Macworld and downloading the Zinio APP.
2) They could (and did) merge my electronic and hard copy subscriptions so I now have one subscription (electronic) running through 2013.
3) The subscription extension I did last night hadn't processed yet but when it does it will be applied to my electronic subscription extending it until 2014
4) Macworld has very nice and competent customer service representatives
5) If you are wanting to archive magazines for future reference you should probably get the Mac version of the Zinio APP also as you are only allowed three downloads of each issue (you can read your stored versions forever). That way the issues would be on your hard drive not just in your iPad. Each issue takes up ~20MB.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud and the iPad | ipad magazine design & usability opinions »