New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

preparing for ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gordoon

gordoon is on a distinguished road

I've decided to buy an ipad, but have decided to wait until the next version comes out. Currently I'm running OS 10.4.11 on my iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Aside from upgrading to Snow Leopard, is there anything else I should be doing prior to getting the ipad? any other upgrades?

gordoon

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Upgrade OS, then make sure you have the latest iTunes, that is about all the essentials really.

Start looking for the apps you want and make a list of them as well

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
EightmanVT

I'd suggest saving money for all the $$ you're about to blow on the app store... ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
PieBoy

PieBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post

Start looking for the apps you want and make a list of them as well

- Simon
Can't agree enough, one thing the App Store is sadly lacking is the ability to bookmark Apps, like many I suspect, I often browse through the App store to see whats available, Days later I will be doing something and think 'I saw an App for that' but I never seem to be able to find it, maybe something Apple could consider for App store 2.0
QUOTE Thanks
EightmanVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieBoy View Post
Can't agree enough, one thing the App Store is sadly lacking is the ability to bookmark Apps, like many I suspect, I often browse through the App store to see whats available, Days later I will be doing something and think 'I saw an App for that' but I never seem to be able to find it, maybe something Apple could consider for App store 2.0
Yes - I've often thought that would be a useful feature. I use the tell a friend feature - to "tell" myself via e-mail about a particular app that I want to come back to later.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

It will be addicting. Here's all the apps I purchased in a short amount of time. I had the first iPad for about 6 months(from launch until like June) and I haven't had one from that time until now...but here are the apps that I have that I will be putting on my iPad 2.

Angry Birds HD
Calculator for iPad
Chase Mobile
Chop Chop Runner
Color and Draw for Kids
Color Splash for iPad
Command and Conquere
CraigsPro
Cut the Rope HD
Flight COntrol HD
Flipboard
iFish Pond HD
Keynote
Pages
Numbers
Labyrinth 2 HD
Macworld Daily
Magic Piano
Marble Mixer for iPad
Mirror's Edge
Mobile Mouse for iPad
N.O.V.A. NBA Hotshot HD
Need for Speed
Paper Toss HD
Penultimate
Pinball HD
Sketchbook Pro
Touchgrind HD
UNO HD
USA Today
White Noise Pro
World of Goo HD
Worms HD
Air Video
Atomic Web Browser
Delivery Status
Dragon Dictation
Dropbox
Evernote
Fandango Movies
Geometry Wars
Google Earth
Hulu Plus
IMDB Movies
Magic Window
Night Stand HD
Pandora Radio
Parachute Panic
SoundHound
Spawn Illuminati
StickWars
Weather HD
Twitter
360 Live

Just to name a few! Maybe that list will give you some insight on things that are good. Clearly I'm into games, and I use(d) it for school but honestly, I've never seen an iPad app that was truly "bad".

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Thanks for making me feel better!

At last count I had 107 APPs (though more than half were free downloads). It really is addictive.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

True to that! I have about 170 apps right now, and I'd say only ~20 of them are free. I live in an area where we have "Speedway Super America" gas stations and they have something called "Speedy Rewards" and I get 100$ itunes cards from there about....every 2 months. So I just get them and go to town with spending on applications.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope43 View Post
True to that! I have about 170 apps right now, and I'd say only ~20 of them are free. I live in an area where we have "Speedway Super America" gas stations and they have something called "Speedy Rewards" and I get 100$ itunes cards from there about....every 2 months. So I just get them and go to town with spending on applications.
How much gas do you have to buy to get a $100 iTunes card?
It might be worth my while to look for Speedy Super America (though I doubt we have them in Arkansas).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

They're only in like a 5-state area around me. The thing that I didn't mention though is that my dad owns a tractor/truck business and my mom does all the gas purchasing and she lets me use my speedy rewards card for the purchases. But even on my own, I ALWAYS get free drinks, food, and literally almost any merchandise in their store...I can honestly say it is by far one of the best rewards programs in the world.

QUOTE Thanks
jstewart12a

jstewart12a is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at getting iPad 2, there are several apps on my iPhone that I've paid for. Can you also put them on your iPad without having to re-purchase them?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart12a View Post
I'm looking at getting iPad 2, there are several apps on my iPhone that I've paid for. Can you also put them on your iPad without having to re-purchase them?
Yes.
Be sure to use the same Apple ID or else it won't work. You can use them on up to 5 devices that use your Apple ID (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad).
And remember if they aren't especially made for the iPad, they will either be really small or if you magnify them (2x "button") they will be a little pixelated.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Leiyah

Leiyah is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD

Great thread for those of us on the eve of our first iPad purchase!
QUOTE Thanks
gordoon

gordoon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of your replies to my original post. I'm in line on the 25th (Canada) (only 22 more sleeps!)

gordoon

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightmanVT View Post
Yes - I've often thought that would be a useful feature. I use the tell a friend feature - to "tell" myself via e-mail about a particular app that I want to come back to later.
That is brilliant. Wish I had though of it. just this week I saw an app that I thought was worth a look now I can't seem to find it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Has anyone ever gone to the US to grab an iPad/iPhone before release date in Canada? | iPad release questions? »