New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Best reader - iPad vs. Kindle

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

My daughter wants a "e-reader" for her birthday. I use an iPad myself but I invite and will appreciate suggestions and pros/cons of the iPad vs. Kindle as well as other units. Thanks in advance.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can probably find at least some opinions by searching the forums. Several of our members own both. However, I can give you one advantage the Kindle has over the iPad and that's price. So, how much are you willing to spend Dad?
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

Price isn't as much an issue as convenience and usability. I see the commercials with the guy using an iPad and the girl with a Kindle teases him about reading it in sunlight, but couldn't you just reverse the polarity on an iPad to get the same effect?

I'm also concerned about the weight factor. I haven't held a Kindle but from its pictures, it looks a lot lighter than the iPad and would not get heavy with long reading time. I think my iPad would become heavy if I tried to read a book with it for a long time.

And then there's battery life... so many features to compare. Thanks.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
SleeperSS

SleeperSS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5

My wife has a Kindle and loves it. Books are reasonably priced also.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperSS View Post
My wife has a Kindle and loves it. Books are reasonably priced also.
Not if you're in the habit of buying used books. My wife is an avid reader and I've often thought about picking her up a Kindle or iPad as a gift. But what I noticed was, each time her book club selects a new title, she picks it up for a buck or two on Amazon in like-new condition. With shipping, it's usually less than $5. Far more economical than the typical $14-20 Amazon seems to charge for books I've looked into.

And it's even less of a value if you're in the habit of loaning or borrowing books. For the most part, that's just not possible with an eReader.

If your daughter travels frequently and likes to have a wide variety of books, it might make sense. But I think the Kindle, in particular, isn't the best value. At least the iPad can practically replace a laptop in terms of its versatility. So, you're not just getting a single-purpose device.

Just a few things to think about before you part with your hard-earned cash...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

the kindle has a special screen that looks "like" paper. ive used one before, and id much rather look at a kindle for three hours over an ipad. however... kindles have a very primitive web browser,no apps released for them, and dont really do anything the ipad doesnt. they can read out books like the Mac does through the "say" command in terminal... but it wont exactly replace a dedicated audiobook.

the ipad definitely has more potential.

but if you dont NEED an ipad, why not go for the kindle. if all you want to do is read books, why go for all the unnecessary frills that comes with the ipad. Do you need Angry Birds, iWork etc?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
SleeperSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Not if you're in the habit of buying used books. My wife is an avid reader and I've often thought about picking her up a Kindle or iPad as a gift. But what I noticed was, each time her book club selects a new title, she picks it up for a buck or two on Amazon in like-new condition. With shipping, it's usually less than $5. Far more economical than the typical $14-20 Amazon seems to charge for books I've looked into.

And it's even less of a value if you're in the habit of loaning or borrowing books. For the most part, that's just not possible with an eReader.

If your daughter travels frequently and likes to have a wide variety of books, it might make sense. But I think the Kindle, in particular, isn't the best value. At least the iPad can practically replace a laptop in terms of its versatility. So, you're not just getting a single-purpose device.

Just a few things to think about before you part with your hard-earned cash...
Her last two books were under $4....total. Most of hers ran $9.99. We tend to travel...her more than me, and she is a big reader and packing books on a plane just doesn't cut it. Kindles can be had for $139...new. The difference between that and my iPad buys a lot of books.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperSS View Post
Her last two books were under $4....total. Most of hers ran $9.99. We tend to travel...her more than me, and she is a big reader and packing books on a plane just doesn't cut it. Kindles can be had for $139...new. The difference between that and my iPad buys a lot of books.
Interesting. Haven't seen them that low-priced yet. I guess it depends on the title.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I think it really depends on what and where you are going to be reading. I love my iPad, but I would agree in direct sunlight the Kindle is better. Everywhere else the iPad rocks IMHO.
As far as books go, price is essentially the same since iPad has Kindle APP. But, a very big advantage arise when you read books and magazines with heavy color and photo component. Kindle is not a serious competitor for comics, magazines and photo books.
If all you are ever going to be interested in is black text, save your money and go for the Kindle. Otherwise iPad all the way.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

How old is your daughter? The iPad is probably more fragile and will offer more distractions form reading, like games and video, not to mention web browsing. Yes you can also kinda do those things on the kindle, but it's rubbish.

I think the Kindle is a slightly better dedicated e-reader, but the iPad is one of my favorite gadgets ever... and if she's likely to want to read magazines and books with illustrations, iPad is the only way to go.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

If you are concerned about glare when using it in sunlight, you could get the anti-glare Invisible Shield. I have that on mine and have no problems using it outside.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

My last few Kindle book purchases were <1 from the top ten kindle books list. Both excellent Stephen Leather thrillers. Prices are definately starting to shift.

If it's purely an eReader you want the Kindle wins hands down (screen, weight, battery life, free over the air download and sync).

But, and it's a big but . . . . if you want to do anything else (liston to music, video, apps, internet etc) then the iPad is the way to go without question.

Really comes down to it's end use. I went down the iPad route and now you'd have to prise it from my cold dead hands to get me to give it up

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Skyyton

Skyyton is on a distinguished road

I have both and would not give up my Kindle for reading. It's much lighter and much easier on the eyes. Both devices are fantastic, but both have their purposes.
QUOTE Thanks
GNR

GNR is on a distinguished road

IPad 2 is rumored to use a redesigned screen that cab=n be read in sunlight
QUOTE Thanks
SleeperSS

And this is here because...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« GREAT Case For The iPad | Update problems »