Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving?

Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
    Engraving?
    Hi Guys,

I am wondering when I get my iPad I do not know wether I would loose to much money on re-sale if I engraved it!
    I would get Apple's recommendation:

It really is the gift
    That keeps on giving.

What do you think? I would also like some good ideas for a engraving!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMacMan56 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am wondering when I get my iPad I do not know wether I would loose to much money on re-sale if I engraved it!
    Of course you will lose money on resale...or you may lose sales altogether If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

- "Too my favorite Snooki"
    - "I love you Mike."
    - "To my Soulmate Fred"
    - "You have a great butt!"
    - etc. etc.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
    Ok, So I am guessing I should not get it done? LOL!

If you're buying it worried already about resale, I'd strongly suggest you not do it.
    Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
    2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Of course you will lose money on resale...or you may lose sales altogether If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

- Nick
    I Most certainly would . . . . . . . . . At the right price.
    Have been told my butt is priceless though, so there could be a slight problem there Moohaha
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkWorld View Post
    If you're buying it worried already about resale, I'd strongly suggest you not do it.
    I'm always concerned (at least a little bit) about resale. How many of us actually use & keep a computer until it's ready for the "junk heap"? Sure some folks do...but many many don't.

The better you take care of something while you own it...the more it will be worth when you sell it...and want to use that money from the sale to help finance the next computer or electronic purchase.

The same applies to automobiles, homes, furniture, etc.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Why do people get things engraved? To personalize it...give it sentimental value... yeah I don't think people want something that has a personalized message on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Have been told my butt is priceless though, so there could be a slight problem there Moohaha
    Also depends on the message and if people can live with it.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    I agree...and I would feel the same way! For the right price...I would also buy an iPad that was engraved.

The deal is...folks that get the engraving don't realize how much the engraving (especially if it's a real personal or "funky" engraving)...detracts from the value of the item...as compared to the exact same item (in the same exact condition) is without any engraving.

The free engraving makes a lot of sense when purchasing the item when it's new (especially if it's a gift)...but when it comes to selling the engraved iPad (for example when someone wants to sell their iPad to buy an iPad 2.0)...it just reduces it's value. Or reduces the number of potential people that might be interested in purchasing it.

If someone looking for a used iPad had the choice between a "non-engraved" iPad...and an engraved iPad with something like "I Love You Snookie!" engraved on it..which one would most folks want to buy?

Of course...the price would be a big determining factor...but I van almost guarantee...the "I Love You Snookie!" iPad would sell for less!

- Nick

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

Maybe I would. It might be a good ego booster .

The deal is...folks that get the engraving don't realize how much the engraving (especially if it's a real personal or "funky" engraving)...detracts from the value of the item...as compared to the exact same item (in the same exact condition) is without any engraving.
    This is the number one reason that sports fans generally, if intent on selling goods, will get them autographed with no personal messages. If you're really looking to sell the iPad down the road, don't engrave it.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    An additional thought is...things like:

- wedding bands
    - jewelry
    - trophies won from some sort of competition
    - etc.

Are all great candidates for engraving. They are usually things that folks hang onto for life...and many times the owner never contemplates selling.

But items like electronic devices...which depreciate very quickly, that become obsolete very quickly, and usually are sold many times in it's lifetime...just aren't good candidates for engraving.

- Nick

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I agree...and I would feel the same way! For the right price...I would also buy an iPad that was engraved.

The free engraving makes a lot of sense when purchasing the item when it's new (especially if it's a gift)...but when it comes to selling the engraved iPad (for example when someone wants to sell their iPad to buy an iPad 2.0)...it just reduces it's value. Or reduces the number of potential people that might be interested in purchasing it.

If someone looking for a used iPad had the choice between a "non-engraved" iPad...and an engraved iPad with something like "I Love You Snookie!" engraved on it..which one would most folks want to buy?

Of course...the price would be a big determining factor...but I van almost guarantee...the "I Love You Snookie!" iPad would sell for less!

- Nick
    I think I can live with "I Love You Snookie!" I would pretend not to like and demand that you lower the price though.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Maybe I would. It might be a good ego booster .
    Yes...the "You have a Great Butt" probably isn't the best example of a "bad engraving" that would be undesirable.

I'm sure that we all can come up with some engraved messages that would be undesirable! (FYI...this is not supposed to turn into a challenge to come up with the least desirable engraved message)!!!

- Nick

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I think I can live with "I Love You Snookie!" I would pretend not to like and demand that you lower the price though.
    Hey...$50 bucks less is $50 bucks less!

- Nick

Specs:
    I wont get it Guys now Thank for the advice!! I am only 13 so I cannot afford to loose large amounts of money!

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I'm sure that we all can come up with some engraved messages that would be undesirable! (FYI...this is not supposed to turn into a challenge to come up with the least desirable engraved message)!!!
    Challenge accepted!

To the OP: Like I mentioned earlier, if you are intent on selling it at some point in the future, you are making the right decision regarding the engraving. You'd rarely see the engraving and considering that you're buying it for yourself, it's not as if it will be sentimental in nature.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information