New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Engraving?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrMacMan56

MrMacMan56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Hi Guys,

I am wondering when I get my iPad I do not know wether I would loose to much money on re-sale if I engraved it!
I would get Apple's recommendation:

It really is the gift
That keeps on giving.

What do you think? I would also like some good ideas for a engraving!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMan56 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am wondering when I get my iPad I do not know wether I would loose to much money on re-sale if I engraved it!
Of course you will lose money on resale...or you may lose sales altogether If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

- "Too my favorite Snooki"
- "I love you Mike."
- "To my Soulmate Fred"
- "You have a great butt!"
- etc. etc.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Ok, So I am guessing I should not get it done? LOL!
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

If you're buying it worried already about resale, I'd strongly suggest you not do it.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Of course you will lose money on resale...or you may lose sales altogether If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

- Nick
I Most certainly would . . . . . . . . . At the right price.
Have been told my butt is priceless though, so there could be a slight problem there Moohaha

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkWorld View Post
If you're buying it worried already about resale, I'd strongly suggest you not do it.
I'm always concerned (at least a little bit) about resale. How many of us actually use & keep a computer until it's ready for the "junk heap"? Sure some folks do...but many many don't.

The better you take care of something while you own it...the more it will be worth when you sell it...and want to use that money from the sale to help finance the next computer or electronic purchase.

The same applies to automobiles, homes, furniture, etc.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Why do people get things engraved? To personalize it...give it sentimental value... yeah I don't think people want something that has a personalized message on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Have been told my butt is priceless though, so there could be a slight problem there Moohaha
Also depends on the message and if people can live with it.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I agree...and I would feel the same way! For the right price...I would also buy an iPad that was engraved.

The deal is...folks that get the engraving don't realize how much the engraving (especially if it's a real personal or "funky" engraving)...detracts from the value of the item...as compared to the exact same item (in the same exact condition) is without any engraving.

The free engraving makes a lot of sense when purchasing the item when it's new (especially if it's a gift)...but when it comes to selling the engraved iPad (for example when someone wants to sell their iPad to buy an iPad 2.0)...it just reduces it's value. Or reduces the number of potential people that might be interested in purchasing it.

If someone looking for a used iPad had the choice between a "non-engraved" iPad...and an engraved iPad with something like "I Love You Snookie!" engraved on it..which one would most folks want to buy?

Of course...the price would be a big determining factor...but I van almost guarantee...the "I Love You Snookie!" iPad would sell for less!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
If you were buying someones used iPad...would you want one to buy one that has the engraving:

Maybe I would. It might be a good ego booster .

Quote:
The deal is...folks that get the engraving don't realize how much the engraving (especially if it's a real personal or "funky" engraving)...detracts from the value of the item...as compared to the exact same item (in the same exact condition) is without any engraving.
This is the number one reason that sports fans generally, if intent on selling goods, will get them autographed with no personal messages. If you're really looking to sell the iPad down the road, don't engrave it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

An additional thought is...things like:

- wedding bands
- jewelry
- trophies won from some sort of competition
- etc.

Are all great candidates for engraving. They are usually things that folks hang onto for life...and many times the owner never contemplates selling.

But items like electronic devices...which depreciate very quickly, that become obsolete very quickly, and usually are sold many times in it's lifetime...just aren't good candidates for engraving.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
I agree...and I would feel the same way! For the right price...I would also buy an iPad that was engraved.

The free engraving makes a lot of sense when purchasing the item when it's new (especially if it's a gift)...but when it comes to selling the engraved iPad (for example when someone wants to sell their iPad to buy an iPad 2.0)...it just reduces it's value. Or reduces the number of potential people that might be interested in purchasing it.

If someone looking for a used iPad had the choice between a "non-engraved" iPad...and an engraved iPad with something like "I Love You Snookie!" engraved on it..which one would most folks want to buy?

Of course...the price would be a big determining factor...but I van almost guarantee...the "I Love You Snookie!" iPad would sell for less!

- Nick
I think I can live with "I Love You Snookie!" I would pretend not to like and demand that you lower the price though.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Maybe I would. It might be a good ego booster .
Yes...the "You have a Great Butt" probably isn't the best example of a "bad engraving" that would be undesirable.

I'm sure that we all can come up with some engraved messages that would be undesirable! (FYI...this is not supposed to turn into a challenge to come up with the least desirable engraved message)!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I think I can live with "I Love You Snookie!" I would pretend not to like and demand that you lower the price though.
Hey...$50 bucks less is $50 bucks less!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

I wont get it Guys now Thank for the advice!! I am only 13 so I cannot afford to loose large amounts of money!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
I'm sure that we all can come up with some engraved messages that would be undesirable! (FYI...this is not supposed to turn into a challenge to come up with the least desirable engraved message)!!!
Challenge accepted!

To the OP: Like I mentioned earlier, if you are intent on selling it at some point in the future, you are making the right decision regarding the engraving. You'd rarely see the engraving and considering that you're buying it for yourself, it's not as if it will be sentimental in nature.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« listening to Audio books on iPad | What do you do with your ipad when you're done using it? »