New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad Charging Requirements

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrMacMan56

MrMacMan56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

HI Guys,

I am getting a iPad for my B-Day in May!
I have noticed that they do not like to be charged through a standard 0.5 amp/watt USB Jack!

I have a iMac as you can tell on my Profile computer specs! Would it be cabable of charging the ipad as that could mean the difference of getting a iPad and not getting one!
Please let me know ASAP!

Cheers,

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

They do come with mains chargers...... but yes your Mac will put out enough power to charge an iPad.

There were some issues with iPads reporting Not Charging on the display even when they were but this was fixed in 10.6.5

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Hi,

Thanks Alot, I read online that you need about 1.5amp/watt to charge the iPad!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

The iMac will definitely charge the iPad, and as mrplow said, it does come with a wall charger. I charge mine from the iMac on a regular basis.
QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

Don't try to charge it on a PC, though... if the iPad is off, it will charge at a SLOOOOOW rate when hooked up to a standard PC USB port. Charges just fine on my new Mac mini!

The good thing about iPads is that they don't need to be charged very often! I plug mine in just about every night, but I rarely use it enough in a day to really need a charge. Recently, I left my charger in my camper, and I went about five days without charging it. This included a few hours of Netflix streaming.
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

I am sure I will find a way to run the battery down

Mine will be plugged in whenever I am home my Iphone is plugged into my iMac all of the time when I am in the house! So it should not be a problem as I know they are slow charging even on the Mac after further research!
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

The only real issue with using your PC to charge your iPad (even if it is "underpowered) is that if you have your computer set to "hibernate" or go to sleep to save power, this generally shuts off power to the USB ports. I have my computer set to shut off the monitor after a certain length of time, but the computer itself is always on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad rejecting WIFI key - corporate guest network | Hypothetical but what would be from previous experience »