Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2007
    Posts
    6
    Pressure crack, how much for ipad repair?!
    Hey there, near enough a week ago my ipad had crashed on me. It gained a pressure crack at the top of the screen, and i honestly didn't know how. I don't know if i'm still within some sort of warranty because i've had this since the middle of august.

    Anyway i sent it off to krcs in leeds to get it sent off to apple to be repaired or to be exchanged, but i honestly don't know how much it's gonna be to repair it. It's a 64gb ipad wifi, and apples website doesn't show it!

    Help pleeease!

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,256
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondarmada View Post

    Anyway i sent it off to krcs in leeds to get it sent off to apple to be repaired or to be exchanged, but i honestly don't know how much it's gonna be to repair it. It's a 64gb ipad wifi, and apples website doesn't show it!
    Call Apple & see what they say. You should still have Applecare...since you automatically get 12 months of coverage with your purchase. But it would depend if this sort of problem is covered.

    If you've already sent it for repair...if there is a charge...hopefully that will contact you with the costs before repairing it.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Call Apple & see what they say. You should still have Applecare...since you automatically get 12 months of coverage with your purchase. But it would depend if this sort of problem is covered.

    If you've already sent it for repair...if there is a charge...hopefully that will contact you with the costs before repairing it.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    So basically the iPad automatically get's 12 months warranty with the purchase? I purchased it from PC world, so it SHOULD already have that warranty. it didn't seem as though there was any cracks on the screen, in fact there wasn't any, the only other damage dealt on the iPad was a few miner scratches on the side of the iPad, nothing really noticeable.

    I'm just wondering how much the piricing on average could be if the iPad does get a charge? I wouldn't really know if it could get a charge seen as though there was hardly any damage dealt at all, no cracks on the screen, only the slight scratches on the back and on the side... so what do you think'll be the outcome?

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,256
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondarmada View Post
    So basically the iPad automatically get's 12 months warranty with the purchase?
    Yes that's correct. All Apple products (computers, monitors, iPads, etc.)...automatically come with 12 months of Applecare. But...Applecare does not necessarily cover everything. It basically is supposed to cover manufacturing defects...not accidents. So it comes down to how the Apple (or repair person) examining your iPad classifies the damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by diamondarmada View Post
    I'm just wondering how much the piricing on average could be if the iPad does get a charge?
    I've actually have never heard (yet) of anyone needing to get their iPad repaired...so your iPad is the first one. But obviously the cost would depend on what part or parts need to be replaced...and how much labor is involved.

    But again...if you're lucky...maybe it will be replaced for free due to the Applecare.

    If you really need to know the cost...just anonymously call an Apple Store...explain to them the damage...and maybe they can give you an estimate of the repair costs...or if the problem is repairable for free with Applecare.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yes that's correct. All Apple products (computers, monitors, iPads, etc.)...automatically come with 12 months of Applecare. But...Applecare does not necessarily cover everything. It basically is supposed to cover manufacturing defects...not accidents. So it comes down to how the Apple (or repair person) examining your iPad classifies the damage.



    I've actually have never heard (yet) of anyone needing to get their iPad repaired...so your iPad is the first one. But obviously the cost would depend on what part or parts need to be replaced...and how much labor is involved.

    But again...if you're lucky...maybe it will be replaced for free due to the Applecare.

    If you really need to know the cost...just anonymously call an Apple Store...explain to them the damage...and maybe they can give you an estimate of the repair costs...or if the problem is repairable for free with Applecare.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    Thanks so much for that! I'd take a picture of my iPad but as i say it's gone to Apple xD. KRCS claimed that the screen was slightly bent and there was a big dent at the back of the iPad, however I've never seen a dent on the back of the iPad personally, as i say, only scratches and pressure crack were found on it.

    But thanks dude, I'm sure with the warranty they'll be able to get me a free model or give it a small fee

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,256
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondarmada View Post
    But thanks dude, I'm sure with the warranty they'll be able to get me a free model or give it a small fee
    I'm assuming you're in the UK (you mentioned "Leeds")...so I'm not 100% sure how the repair process works in the UK.

    Are you really far from an Apple Store? Usually it's best to go to an Apple Store for the repair...or ship the computer to the nearest "Official" Apple repair facility (not sure if this is the place you're referring to that you sent your iPad).

    The reason why I mention this is...Apple employees can be really flexible when it comes to interpreting the terms of the Applecare warranty. So even if the damage was caused by an accident...sometimes the Apple folks will not worry about about it...and fix it for free anyway. Or...maybe the problem you have with your iPad is common...and Apple is fixing this with "no questions asked" so to speak (for free).

    If the iPad is sent to non-Apple folks (even if they are an "Apple Certified repair facility")...they still may not be "thinking" like an Apple person...and only thinking of "profit" $$$.

    Again good luck...please let us know how things turn out,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2007
    Posts
    6
    Thanks again dude. One query, if i think the repair is gonna cost a **** of a lot, is there any chance of getting the ipad back without repair and just send it somewhere else? Cheers.

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,256
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondarmada View Post
    Thanks again dude. One query, if i think the repair is gonna cost a **** of a lot, is there any chance of getting the ipad back without repair and just send it somewhere else? Cheers.
    This is how I would handle it. Just in case the repair folks you sent the iPad to don't call you first (before doing the repair and charging you)...call them up and say...

    "If the repairs are not covered under Applecare...please contact me with the estimate for repair BEFORE doing anything."

    This way you can decide (if the repair charges are too high) whether or not to actually have them do the repairs. Because in MANY cases...it can cost almost as much to repair an electronic device than it would cost to buy a new one. Or a significant portion of the cost of a new item.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ipad 1 screen dark and ugly after repair
    By hertfordnc in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 07:26 AM
  2. ipad 2 repair
    By tdmartin66 in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 11:33 PM
  3. iPad Repair
    By MontanaMac in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 07:23 AM
  4. Pressure Drop zStand
    By Mikethebook in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
  5. Pressure on iBook = Freezing.
    By Joshlegh in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 05:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •