New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad information - re: using Airport Express

Thread Closed

mercar

mercar is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am new to this forum, aswell to having an iPad. It is amazing, but still learning.
Can the Airport Express be used as a WiFi for the iPad while traveling? If so,
does it have to be connected PC? As I said I am relatively new to the computer world and am trying to learn and understand.
At home we have a wireless router and it works very well.
Was reading about the Airport express router and was unclear as to wether I could take the iPad on a trip and use the Airport Ex. in place of a wireless router?
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That won't exactly work unless the Airport Express can get an Internet connection from somewhere. In other words much like your wireless router it has to be connected to some type of cable or DSL connection.

The iPad would be able to get a signal at many wi-fi hotspots even without using the Airport as a go between. If you have one of the iPad models that supports it you can also use a cellular connection assuming you have a data plan. I have seen reports of people also using one of those portable wi-fi hotspot devices with the iPad.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've just gotten a new iPad and have looked at how to use it in a place that doesn't have wifi(like a hotel). Most hotels do have wired in-room connections, so I'm hoping that you can take an ethernet cable and plug one end into the hotel ethernet connection and the other end into the airport express to give you a wireless connection. I'd love to know if it's possible to configure the airport express with the iPad

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Yes that may work depending upon how the hotel network security is assigned. That does not change the fact that the Airport has to get his signal from somewhere. The easiest option is probably to use one of the cell company mi fi devices.

class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Yes that may work depending upon how the hotel network security is assigned. That does not change the fact that the Airport has to get his signal from somewhere. The easiest option is probably to use one of the cell company mi fi devices.
Doesn't that usually require a contract with a monthly fee for a year or two? I don't need this every day, just periodically when I travel.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
Slydude

You are right there. Most of them are probably going to require at least a fee. Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans When I looked into a tethering option for my Palm phone Sprint wanted an additional $20 per month,

It might be worth looking into whether there are any AT&T hotspots in the areas that you would be traveling in. I believe their data plan for the iPad still allows it to use those sites.

Apple iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G - AT&T iPad Plans - Wireless from AT&T

AT&T Wi-Fi Locations

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

What you're asking is entirely possible. But you'll have to configure your Airport Express from a laptop/desktop first. It'll remeber the settings so that's not really an issue. Just connect it to your router at home by ethernet cable and set it up to create a wireless network, run though the airport utility, set a network name (SSID) and password. Connect your iPad's wifi to this new network, it'll remember it.

Once you get to a hotel, connect the hotel ethernet connection to the airport express. Your iPad will connect automatically via your previously configured wireless network.

I did this while travelling in India as the wireless connection in most hotels was unreliable. The airport express worked brilliantly.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And with the verification it will work, this thread is now closed.

For some reason the spammers enjoy this thread.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Closed

« Is there a iPad specific car charger | Silicone skin + hard case. Will it fit? »