New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad Purchase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bgardner510

bgardner510 is on a distinguished road

I don't post on this site much (shame on me I know)

Wondering if I can get a general opinion

I own a 27" iMac running Snow Leopard, and I also own an iPhone 3Gs (upgrading to 4 next month) through At&t

Both are less then a few years old, and very well maintained and in good condition, work great etc.

I own my own Graphic Design business out of my home in my spare time, don't have a ton of clients, don't travel a whole lot, also work in the commercial printing business.

I am debating on buying an iPad - Really just because I want one, but since I already have the other products, is having an iPad really a waste of money?? I mean, besides portability compared to my iMac, and besides a bigger screen then my iPhone, is the iPad a really a whole lot different?

Is there something worth my while to own it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgardner510 View Post
I own a 27" iMac running Snow Leopard, and I also own an iPhone 3Gs (upgrading to 4 next month) through At&t

Both are less then a few years old, and very well maintained and in good condition, work great etc.
Of course your 27" iMac is less than "a few years old"...they've only been available since October, 2009 (about 15 months).

Quote:
I am debating on buying an iPad - Really just because I want one...
In my humble opinion...this is reason enough! Sometimes we just buy things because we want them...and because they may be fun!

When was the last time you went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant...and paid $50 or more per person for dinner? Sure...you could have stayed at home, ate a $.50 cent pack of Ramen noodles, and saved a lot of money...but that wouldn't have been as enjoyable or fun!

And in the end (literally)...whether you eat Ramen noodles or fancy expensive food in a restaurant...it all ends up as a "turd" in the toilet bowl!!!

So go ahead...splurge a little and get the iPad. Not because it makes logical sense...but because you want it!

- Nick

p.s. A more difficult decision may be...should you get the WiFi only version...or the WiFi + 3G.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bgardner510

bgardner510 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the wonderful insight lol

I could use my iphone as a hotspot cheaper then I could get a plan for it I think, so Maybe just Wifi would be enough??

Plus its a tax write off anyways

but other then the fun of it, is it really any different?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful insight lol

I could use my iphone as a hotspot cheaper then I could get a plan for it I think, so Maybe just Wifi would be enough??

Plus its a tax write off anyways

but other then the fun of it, is it really any different?
Yes...I got from your post that saving money really wasn't a major issue...which is a nice position to be in!

As far as differences...not much really. I've always been of the opinion that the iPad is just a BIG iPod Touch or iPhone. But to me...that bigger display is a HUGE difference. Kind of like the difference between using a desktop computer with a 15" monitor vs. a 24" monitor (or 27" in your case)! Plus text on the iPad is so much easier to read (especially if your eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

My wife has an iPod Touch. When it comes to display size (same as the iPhone as I'm sure you know)...I would have no problems buying a iPad (which I plan on doing in the next 6 months)!

Have you been to an Apple Store & tried the iPad to see what you think?

Just my opinions of course. I know other folks feel differently.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You'll want to go in the App store on your Mac and browse specific apps for what you want and see what is available for the iPhone and what is available for the iPad.

I have the iPhone 4 and iPad and I really like using the iPad because of the larger screen. Not as much squinting (better for my eyes), more room to type and swipe, photos and web pages are larger and easier to read/see.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Do you use your iPhone for browsing the web while sitting on the couch or do you get up and go to the iMac? Yeah the iPad is different.

Do you use your iPhone for pleasure reading of books, comics, magazines??? I didn't think so. Yep, the iPad is different.

Do you really use you that little bitty screen on the iPhone for playing games? Nope, didn't think so. Yep, screen size does matter.

What about headin' to bed a little early and grabbing your iPhone to watch a TV show or movie? Bet not.

And what does it matter if you got the cash - especially if you're going to write it off anyway.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

What Bob said . . .!

I love my iPad even if it is a giant iPod Touch (which I also had and loved). The iPad isn't a laptop replacement, but since I got it my MBP sees a whole lot less use.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I wanted to reply to this because my lifestyle is very similar to the OP's (I used to work in commercial printing but am back to journalism nowadays) and I got an iPad for xmas.

I find that I personally use it almost entirely for relaxing purposes. Books (finally have a chance to read books again!), games, entertainment, and (surprisingly to me) ... a lot of web surfing. I actually PREFER surfing the sort of sites you do a lot of reading on (blogs, etc) on the iPad over my "vastly superior" home computer.

After a long day slaving over a hot processor, I enjoy sitting (okay, LAYING) on the couch and using the iPad for "fun." It's really helped me delineate between "work" and "not work" in my own life. I particularly enjoy using it when out and about, as it has completely replaced my laptop for what I call "casual public computing" (ie the sort of stuff you'd do at a coffee shop or waiting room).

If I could give full presentations on it I would get rid of a laptop completely, but alas that will probably never happen. You can do Keynote presentations on it but I do a lot of Mac software demos in addition to slideshows so the iPad isn't quite up to that.

Anyway, I debated about whether to get one at all since the "new one" will be coming out this spring almost certainly. But I would argue that NOW is the time to buy actually! I picked up a "lightly" used one off Craigslist for cheap, I will enjoy it for months, when the new one comes out I will evaluate and (perhaps) sell my present one for about what I paid for it, then buy the new one.

My wife absolutely loves the iPad and now spends MUCH less time on the computer as a result. Luckily she tends to use it while I'm working ... otherwise we'd have to get two!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I picked up a "lightly" used one off Craigslist for cheap, I will enjoy it for months, when the new one comes out I will evaluate and (perhaps) sell my present one for about what I paid for it, then buy the new one.
This is exactly what my strategy has been since around October/November. Pickup a used iPad for a good price...then sell it when the new ones come out (assuming the changes in iPad 2.0 are significant enough to justify it).

Unfortunately...not many folks are selling used iPads in my area at what I consider a good price...and the ones that are listed at a good price are either snapped up really quickly...or are listed by "scammers" just phishing for e-mail address's.

Still looking...

Of course when iPad 2.0 comes out...it's going to "knock the crap" out of used iPad 1.0 values...and then it will be a great time to buy a used iPad!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Contacts on iPad | Speaker dock & cased iPad »