New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

thinking of getting an ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlienBZ

AlienBZ is on a distinguished road

Ever since I saw my brother-in-law's caribbean cruise photos that he was showing my mom on on Christmas Day after we ate, I grew impressed with the ipad - I mean, I edit photos in photoshop on my MBP, and I'd like to take them along with me to show my local friends for when I go visiting them. Plus, Christmas Day night time, I was wondering if I could put the comic books that I also create on my MBP using Comic Life Deluxe (after saving them in *.pdf format) on an ipad to show my friends, (found that it was possible and I d/l a piece of software that converts .pdf files to .epub), and I was even more impressed with the ipad. But I don't know at this point exactly how many photos I'm going to put on my ipad nor how many .pdf/.epub comic book files I'm going to want to put on that new ipad that I'm going to start saving up for after the New Year - and all these other apps that are pre-installed on the ipad, I'm thinking since I won't use these, I'll want to delete them, so what size ipad should I get?

But anyway, to try to answer my own question as to how many photos, comics (roughly about 30 pgs at least) I'd like to put on my new ipad is - a whole bunch of them - a lot.

New-ipad-user-to-be
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I have the 64Gb 3G and with hundreds of songs and photos, 7 full length movies ripped from DvD, dozens of APPs and a couple of dozen comic books I am about 1/3 full. Plus I forgot to mention several hundred eBooks.

Bottom-line: the 16Gb may be big enough, the 32Gb almost certainly. And BTW iBooks will handle PDF comics as will Goodreader.

Enjoy your new iPad.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Bottom-line: the 16Gb may be big enough, the 32Gb almost certainly.
I'm toying with the idea of getting the basic 32 GB ipad sometime in January 2011, since I just talked to one of my local friends (she and her husband own a imac, she is tech-savvy) and she told me [Apple] is talking about making the ipad smaller, well I don't want a smaller ipad (screen size-wise), I like the 9.7 inch by 11 inch screen so I can adequately display each page of my comic books, so this means I might have to get my ipad before February in case our local Best Buy runs out of their current stock of ipads.

What do you guys say about this?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Not likely to see a smaller iPad anytime soon.

BTW: Apple doesn't tend to share much of what they are planning--any talking going on is generally by people who don't know a whole lot more than we do.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

For another opinion see the post today in Apple Rumors Forum by the8thark titled: 'Report: Apple ordering 65 million iPad screens for 2011'

I would link to the post, but I don't know how

QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
For another opinion see the post today in Apple Rumors Forum by the8thark titled: 'Report: Apple ordering 65 million iPad screens for 2011'

I would link to the post, but I don't know how

I found the post, I think you make a link like this - go to the post editor, click on the blue/green planet (Earth) that has the chain link in front of it, and a dialogue box will pop up. Delete the "http" inside and copy and past the website address (from the top of the Safari page or your internet browser/search engine page) into this dialogue box, click "OK".

After this you will see a link to whatever you wanted to link to.

Report: Apple ordering 65 million iPad screens for 2011
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Thanks. Will try that later.

QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Hello there, I'm back. Just found out that that 16 GB vs 32 GB in these ipads at Best Buy refer to memory (RAM)? rather than hard drive. Is this true? If that's the case, then the way I'm thinking of it is as kind of being like a HD memory card for the latest digital SLR cameras - now that I'm thinking about storing some of these pictures (after editing) from my D3000 DSLR camera that I bought a few months ago on this ipad, I'm thinking of sticking with the 32 GB model.

Am wondering - how many HD digital photos can you store on a 32 GB ipad?

Bottom line - should I get the 32 GB ipad (at local Best Buy store) sometime in January 2011? I have $465 saved and am putting away an additional $200 the first week of January.

How much is Penna. tax on it + $599.99 = total price?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Don't know how much your tax rate is, ours is 8.5%. As far as how many pictures your iPad will hold, a lot. I shoot in Raw with my Nikon D5000 so the files on the computer are rather large, but iTunes resizes photos to synch with iPad so they are sized appropriately to the screen resolution.
I currently have 420 photos on my iPad (a very small fraction of my Aperture library) and that takes up only a Gb or 2 at most (iTunes tells you during synch how much space is used, but I never bother to look--it's a small part of what I have on my iPad).

As far as which to get, if money is very tight go small, otherwise I would go for the 32 Gb model. You can't add memory after the fact.

QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Razormac, our tax in Penna. is 7 %. So how much $$ would this 32 GB ipad cost me in the end provided I have $665 put away come January 8th?

EDIT - tried calculating it on my mac's built-in calculator, and I believe it's $42 in tax. So I figured it'll come to $641.99. Is this correct?
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Your total cost for the iPad 32 gb WiFi will be around $640.93. You will have just enough to purchase your iPad if I did the math correctly . If I am wrong some one correct me please.
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Thanks, Roflitskyle and
Quote:
As far as which to get, if money is very tight go small, otherwise I would go for the 32 Gb model. You can't add memory after the fact.
thanks for the warning, Razormac - I'll spring for the 32 GB, then.

It seems as if I have expandable money - it stretches. That's alien $$$, not Earth-$$$.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

If you want to add pictures on the go/with a sdd card straight from your camera to your iPad.
Apple - iPad - Make your iPad even better with accessories.
its about half way down the page.
QUOTE Thanks
kaya3

kaya3 is on a distinguished road

i have the 32 gb wifi, and i am a photographer. i use it primarily as a digital portfolio. ihave loads of high res photos on it and i think total it is like 4 gb of space. i p robably have over 100 print sized images. it is more than enouh for me needs!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To put this another way: my entire iPhoto library from 2005 to present take up a little over 55GB. Most of the photos are large JPEG files, but there is a fair amount of RAW and AVI/MOV movies in there as well.

A 32GB iPad could hold, by my estimate, at least half of the 9,000 photos and 226 (mostly 8-10 minute) videos I have in this library.

In short, I don't think any concerns about iPad storage space are especially valid. Even the smallest (16GB) model can clearly hold thousands of photos. Your audience will never have the time to go through all the photos on a 16GB, let alone a 32GB if it is primarily used for storing photos.

PS. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that Apple is going to make an iPad smaller than the current 9.7" screen. Not only have they gone WAY out of their way to explain why smaller screens suck, not only have they placed ginormous orders for 9.7" screens for next year, but confirmed case designs for the iPad II clearly show no reduction in the product's overall size.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In Canada. Can I access US content? | iPad won't connect to internet via AirPort WiFi... »