New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Retrolink USB controller+Nestopia

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bittergamer1886

Bittergamer1886 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm new to using USB controllers and I need to know... I bought an NES styled controller that has a USB port to play emulated games, or roms. It is a "Retrolink" USB controller. It supposedly works with Windows and Mac, which I have. I want to play Super Mario Bros. on my computer so I got Nestopia and a Super Mario Bros. rom. I plugged in my controller and it didn't work when I pressed any buttons. So I looked online and I heard about, found, and downloaded an app called "USB Overdrive". I had no idea how it worked, but I noticed that when I pressed different buttons on the controller, parts would highlight up after I messed around with USB Overdrive a little, like USB Overdrive interacted with the controller, but the controller did not with Nestopia. I need help, can someone lend me a hand here and tell me what I am supposed to do? It would be much obliged!

Thanks,
~Bittergamer1886
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Can't really speak to that particular controller, but I use a Microsoft USB Sidewinder and it works great with Nestopia. You do have to have it plugged in *before* you start the emulator and you need to have "Emulator Enhancer" installed ahead of time. Also, you need to associate the buttons with their proper functions, which is done in the Nestopia Preferences under the Joystick tab.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Bittergamer1886

I downloaded Emulator Enhancer, but when I opened it, it told me what should I open it with? That's a good question. What DO I open it with?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get this one:

Software: Emulator Enhancer

...sounds like you've got something else.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I think I see what's wrong - you missed the Installation Instructions that accompany it... If you give it a double-click, you'll see it says:

Quote:
Installation (for experienced users)

The Emulator Enhancer folder (containing "Emulator Enhancer.bundle") should be placed intact in /Library/Application Support or ~/Library/Application Support.

Installation (for beginners)

In recent months, I have been deluged by users who find the above instruction too complicated. For the benefit of these people, here are step by step instructions:

- Open your Hard Disk.
- Open the Library folder.
- Open the Application Support folder.
- Copy the Emulator Enhancer folder (included with this document) into that folder.
- If you double click on the Emulator Enhancer folder the only file within should be "Emulator Enhancer.bundle".

QUOTE Thanks
Bittergamer1886

1. That's the exact same thing. I did what you said and it's the exact same thing.

2. I read the instructions before you told me about them. I opened the library folder, and I didn't see an "Application Support Folder".
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittergamer1886 View Post
1. That's the exact same thing. I did what you said and it's the exact same thing.

2. I read the instructions before you told me about them. I opened the library folder, and I didn't see an "Application Support Folder".
Try opening the Home folder (if you open Finder, you'll see an icon with a house and your username next to it). Then, open Library and you should see Application Support within it.

QUOTE Thanks
Bittergamer1886

I did that, but it asked me what to open the bundle with. Nestopia?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering iPad of Mac Book Air | Neo Office and iPad »