New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Is There Alternate Browser for iPads?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

My son just got a new iPad mainly for work (he sells cars) and he mentioned to me this morning that Safari is not 100% compatible with some of the MS/Windows programs they use in the business. Sometimes you can't open a 2nd large window from a link, and when he's in the network using the windows-based utilities, some "buttons" on the screen don't even work. He asked me if there are any other browser options... so I figured I'd post it here.

I know that Apple is pushing the iPad as not only an entertainment/communication device, but also as a tool that can be used in business. I'm thinking maybe he would've been better off (in his case) looking at alternate devices that aren't limited to Apple's Phone/PDA OS.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Opera is out there...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Depends on what these sites are. There are still some business sites out there that will only work with IE. Most of these are pay access only and require logins. We still have one here that will not work without ActiveX controls that only function with IE. They don't work with any other browser even in Windows. Any such site will not work natively in OS X, Linux or iOS - period.

If this is not the case - try Opera and Atomic Web Browser on the iPad. With Atomic, head into the settings and you can set it to identify itself as practically any other browser. This will fool some sites, but won't work if the site he needs requires the ActiveX control.

edit: We had two such sites until 2 months ago. One of them finally wizened up, changed up their security access and now have a site compatible with Win, OS X & Linux and includes support for IE, Safari & Mozilla.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

Thanks for the advice. I just talked to him and what he needs is a browser that allows pop-ups, possibly flash and/or java.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You're not going to get Flash or Java working on the iPad regardless of browser simply because neither is supported in the iOS ecosystem. There isn't much he can do to fix that.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

He said Atomic options doesn't allow popups... we were just guessing on the flash or java. Ironically, the web-based software he's using works fine with Safari on his iMac, its just on his iPad or iPhone that _some_ features that are used via on page links that require a popup 2nd page. For instance, from the main page there are numerous links, one of them is email. Click on the email link and a new page opens, and it looks OK... but he can't go into the "writing area" to actually write the body of the email.

One wonders why MS hasn't released a IE version for the iPhone and/or iPad. OTH, you'd think that Apple would upgrade safari to allow popups in the iPhone/iPad.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I can't speak to the popups (don't use Safari very much on my iPod Touch as I don't browse much and when I do, it's with Opera) but if it does use Java or Flash, it will work fine on the Mac because it supports both.

The rendering in MobileSafari may differ from the desktop version simply because they are two different browsers. MS also identifies itself as such when browsing the web so this may make a difference. Do you happen to have a link we can try?

MS will never release a version for the iPhone. Trust me.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

I'd suggest the Opera Mobile Browser, works great.

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Interesting that he cannot get to sites that have popups. I have been able to get to some sites that require it. I think one if the sites I have trouble with would not work anyway since they are pretty specific about requiring a Win box and IE.

Will the sites he needs t access work if he opened the second (popup) link in a new window? Touch the link and hold there momentarily without releasing his finger. It works for me to activate some popups but not all.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! Iphone 4 Sim in Ipad and Movie Icons. | So - since the update to OS4... ? »