Thread: IPad AirPrint.

IPad AirPrint.
    I have my HP Photosmart C4780 hooked to my Time Capsule which is connected via ethernet cable to my iMac. All of the other computers that are connected to the wireless network print just fine to the HP c4780 which is the network printer. What do I need to do to get documents printed from the iPad?

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Pretty sure that's not an AirPrint compatible printer but you can install the HP iPrint app.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Please remember to use the search function of these forums. This has been covered recently and I remember personally posting a link to HP's website with a list of the only printers right now that are compatible with AirPrint.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Let's be clear about the use of the word "compatible" with the word "Airprint."

Nearly ALL printers are compatible with AirPrint ... if they are plugged (wired) into an Airport base station or wired into a Mac and shared on the network. That may not be what the OP meant, but it works.

Printers that can work with the AirPrint *out of the box* on the other hard number (as of today) 18. Here's the original 12, and here's the six that were added today.

Does that mean that if I'm working off of a Time Capsule/Network, the HP App will work with said printer regardless of what is on the list?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    My understanding is that if the printer is *Bonjour* compatible (and a lot of them are), and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it. I don't know anything about "the HP app" so couldn't say.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it.
    Does this go for Airport Express as well ..... Im thinking so ?!?!?
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Let's be clear about the use of the word "compatible" with the word "Airprint."

Nearly ALL printers are compatible with AirPrint ... if they are plugged (wired) into an Airport base station or wired into a Mac and shared on the network. That may not be what the OP meant, but it works.

Printers that can work with the AirPrint *out of the box* on the other hard number (as of today) 18. Here's the original 12, and here's the six that were added today.
    Quote Originally Posted by McNewby View Post
    Does that mean that if I'm working off of a Time Capsule/Network, the HP App will work with said printer regardless of what is on the list?
    My understanding is that if the printer is *Bonjour* compatible (and a lot of them are), and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it. I don't know anything about "the HP app" so couldn't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Does this go for Airport Express as well ..... Im thinking so ?!?!?
    That's not really true. Ultimately, sure, that will be the case, but Apple removed support for AirPrint via Airport or connected Mac/PC before they released 10.6.5 and 4.2.1. It was planned, but pulled at the last minute.

So as of right now, there are only a handful of printers that directly support AirPrint and those are the only ones that work without hacks.

What your'e describing may become the case in the future if Apple adds that functionality back in.

The only printers compatible at the moment are listed at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/features...011d48fe4d2f5c
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

IPad AirPrint
    We use Printopia and it just works for all our network printers.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Ditto for Printopia.
    Only caveat is the Mac has to be running, so I have it on my Mac mini home theater which I leave on.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Thanks for the clarification there schweb, but my post was more to do with what CM had written about the Airport Base Station. Considering the AE and the ABS have the same printing capabilities, i was presuming that the AE could work like the ABS ...
    Thanks for the clarification there schweb, but my post was more to do with what CM had written about the Airport Base Station. Considering the AE and the ABS have the same printing capabilities, i was presuming that the AE could work like the ABS ...

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

Cheers
    Yes it can share printers on your network.

But it won't enable AirPrint (neither will the Airport Extreme). Just want to make sure people understand that and aren't confused.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Printopia
    printopia might be able to solve your problem.

Thread Information