New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

IPad AirPrint.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McNewby

McNewby is on a distinguished road

I have my HP Photosmart C4780 hooked to my Time Capsule which is connected via ethernet cable to my iMac. All of the other computers that are connected to the wireless network print just fine to the HP c4780 which is the network printer. What do I need to do to get documents printed from the iPad?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Pretty sure that's not an AirPrint compatible printer but you can install the HP iPrint app.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Please remember to use the search function of these forums. This has been covered recently and I remember personally posting a link to HP's website with a list of the only printers right now that are compatible with AirPrint.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Let's be clear about the use of the word "compatible" with the word "Airprint."

Nearly ALL printers are compatible with AirPrint ... if they are plugged (wired) into an Airport base station or wired into a Mac and shared on the network. That may not be what the OP meant, but it works.

Printers that can work with the AirPrint *out of the box* on the other hard number (as of today) 18. Here's the original 12, and here's the six that were added today.
QUOTE Thanks
McNewby

McNewby is on a distinguished road

Does that mean that if I'm working off of a Time Capsule/Network, the HP App will work with said printer regardless of what is on the list?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

My understanding is that if the printer is *Bonjour* compatible (and a lot of them are), and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it. I don't know anything about "the HP app" so couldn't say.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it.
Does this go for Airport Express as well ..... Im thinking so ?!?!?

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Let's be clear about the use of the word "compatible" with the word "Airprint."

Nearly ALL printers are compatible with AirPrint ... if they are plugged (wired) into an Airport base station or wired into a Mac and shared on the network. That may not be what the OP meant, but it works.

Printers that can work with the AirPrint *out of the box* on the other hard number (as of today) 18. Here's the original 12, and here's the six that were added today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewby View Post
Does that mean that if I'm working off of a Time Capsule/Network, the HP App will work with said printer regardless of what is on the list?
Quote:
My understanding is that if the printer is *Bonjour* compatible (and a lot of them are), and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it. I don't know anything about "the HP app" so couldn't say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Does this go for Airport Express as well ..... Im thinking so ?!?!?
That's not really true. Ultimately, sure, that will be the case, but Apple removed support for AirPrint via Airport or connected Mac/PC before they released 10.6.5 and 4.2.1. It was planned, but pulled at the last minute.

So as of right now, there are only a handful of printers that directly support AirPrint and those are the only ones that work without hacks.

What your'e describing may become the case in the future if Apple adds that functionality back in.

The only printers compatible at the moment are listed at the bottom of this page:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features...011d48fe4d2f5c

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
plugone

plugone is on a distinguished road

We use Printopia and it just works for all our network printers.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Ditto for Printopia.
Only caveat is the Mac has to be running, so I have it on my Mac mini home theater which I leave on.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Thanks for the clarification there schweb, but my post was more to do with what CM had written about the Airport Base Station. Considering the AE and the ABS have the same printing capabilities, i was presuming that the AE could work like the ABS ...
Thanks for the clarification there schweb, but my post was more to do with what CM had written about the Airport Base Station. Considering the AE and the ABS have the same printing capabilities, i was presuming that the AE could work like the ABS ...

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

Cheers
Yes it can share printers on your network.

But it won't enable AirPrint (neither will the Airport Extreme). Just want to make sure people understand that and aren't confused.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Jshulman

Jshulman is on a distinguished road

printopia might be able to solve your problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Number of songs, pics, videos different on iPad and Mac | iPad stylus for taking notes »