New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

how to get photos from ipad to mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

janeway_usa

janeway_usa is on a distinguished road

I recently had my iphoto albums deleted and I want to know if there is a way to get them from my ipad back to my macbook pro? If i sync my ipad in itunes it wants to delete my photos on my ipad because the albums are not available in my iphoto anymore. Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Open the iTunes preferences and deselect automatically synch iPad. Then connect iPad, open iTunes (if it doesn't autmatically come up) and import your photos from your iPad back into iPhoto.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
janeway_usa

How do I import my photos from my iPad back into iPhoto?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If iPhoto preferences are set to automatically detect and import from Camera than it will bring up the import window and all you do is click on import all.

If not, you will have to go through the menu in iPhoto to import photos. I am at work right now so I can't walk you through this, but should be pretty easy to follow.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
janeway_usa

I tried this and it does not show my photos. It only shows the pictures my kids have made in some of the apps. Am I missing something that would show the photos that are in albums? Thanks for your help and time.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Are you sure the photos are on your iPad?
Can you see them using the Photo APP?

If they are and you can't get import to work (don't know why it wouldn't) you can email them from Photo APP on your iPad to your MBP. This would be a REAL pain probably to have to do, but it beats the alternative to losing irreplaceable pictures (which leads me to a plug I will make for having a backup of your precious files). External HDs are dirt cheap; I picked up a Seagate 640GB HD for $55 on CyberMonday.
I can't reccomend too strongly to back up your files--Time Machine if nothing else.

QUOTE Thanks
janeway_usa

I agree about the backup, I learned the hard way. I have most of my photos but all of my organization is gone. I have no albums in iPhoto for the ipad to sync with. I may just have to wade through the 1000s of photos to find there favorites again. I can't figure out why if I can see them in the photo app on the ipad why I can't import them when attached to the MBP. Weird!!
Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway_usa View Post
I can't figure out why if I can see them in the photo app on the ipad why I can't import them when attached to the MBP. Weird!!
Thanks for your help.
Have you ever had an iPod or iPhone before? They are not really "designed" as portable hard drives or flash drives. There are ways around it, but they really aren't made to transfer music, photos, etc. back and forth to your computer. They're just devices for carrying that stuff around and having access to it on-the-go. Your computer at home is your true "storage" device. That's why you "sync" with it. Think of it as water bottle. You get the water from your fridge or faucet or whatever, but the bottle is merely how you take the water with you. You have to re-fill it when you want more water or a different kind of beverage.

I'm saying it's impossible, but it's just not how Apple designed the iOS devices to work and not how most people use them. It's just easier when you work with the design.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

iPhoto will not import photos previously synched from your MBP (sorry, I just tried it). Looks like the only choice is to email them to yourself.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Why not grab them from you iPad using Image Capture?

It's built into OSX, doesn't use iTunes or Iphoto, just copies pictures from USB connected devices to any folder you like

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Image Capture won't work either. It only sees the screenshots you've taken with the iPad.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

And photos from the camera kit . . . . . but I take you're point, doesn't 'see' the iPhoto synced stuff.

You could try podtomac. It's $20 but that could be small price if it recovers your photos
Pod to Mac - iPod, iPad, iPhone Music Transfer Software

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
forumviewer

forumviewer is on a distinguished road

podtomac works well. Solved my problem.
Thanks mrplow
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No service - ipad questions? | Can I use my iPad as a keyboard? »