Question iPad WiFi connectivity
    I just got an iPad and boy I like this machine, however I can't figure out how to share my iPhone 4's connection with it since I got the WiFi model of iPad.

Is there a way, is there some app for this?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    You mean teathering? Not sure that's possible..if you got the WiFi version of the iPad, then you'll need a WiFi connection to use it..

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You mean teathering? Not sure that's possible..if you got the WiFi version of the iPad, then you'll need a WiFi connection to use it..

Regards
    I'm not sure what to call it :p when I'm home I have the AirPort Extreme and it works like a charm, but when there is no WiFi connection like when I'm on my way to work I would like to use the iPhone 4's 3G network, sharing connection dosent do it as I have tried several times.

Ps, cheers for fast respond!

Specs:
    Correct..using the network of another device (phone usually) is called "tethering" and that isn't really supported and how it's meant to work..

If you are going to be traveling in places with your iPad where there is no WiFi available, then you'd need to get the WiFi+3G version and pay the AT&T monthly fee to use the 3G network..

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Correct..using the network of another device (phone usually) is called "tethering" and that isn't really supported and how it's meant to work..

If you are going to be traveling in places with your iPad where there is no WiFi available, then you'd need to get the WiFi+3G version and pay the AT&T monthly fee to use the 3G network..

Regards
    I don't live in the states, and since I thought this would be possible I got subscription or say signed a data plan with really high monthly fee for my iPhone so I could call, SMS, mms, and use 3G with no restriction what so ever.

I guess conclusion is buy a iPad with 3G and get the same plan for it as the phone.

...SLIME ENCRUSTED SNAILS me of however that connection between two of their own devices won't just work..

Thanks man.

Specs:
    Apple has never said that it would work..I don't know if it's possible to make this work if you jailbreak the iPad (assuming that's possible) or what not..

Since Apple specifically makes a version with 3G, allowing it to be tethered to an iPhone would essentially negate it's use..

Regards

You need that little mini router that most cell phone companies can provide for a nominal fee. Or you need 3G iPad.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    There are several apps available if you jailbreak your iphone.

Or use a MyFi device (3g mobile router) as previously suggested.

There's no 'official' method of iPhone to iPad tethering
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

The iPad can remain stock.

The iPhone must be jailbroken

I use MyWi 4.0 - iPhoneŽ WiFi Tethering and iPadŽ and it works perfectly.

I am currently tethering my MacBook to my iPhone 4 to write this

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Or you could just get a MiFi type device and not have to jailbreak or hack anything at all. Pretty simple solution really.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    It's only simple if you want to fork over a sizable chunk of money every month and carry around an additional device that only works for a few hours.

I would much rather go through the simple process of jailbreaking and making a one-time purchase of MyWi and then tether as I please as opposed to tying myself down with another data contract.

June 2007
    July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    It's only simple if you want to fork over a sizable chunk of money every month and carry around an additional device that only works for a few hours.

I would much rather go through the simple process of jailbreaking and making a one-time purchase of MyWi and then tether as I please as opposed to tying myself down with another data contract.
    My thoughts exactly

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Fair point. I was thinking of the My-Fi type devices as a better idea because they create an entire network rather than a 1:1 tethering solution. But you're right, for people who only need a 1:1 solution, MyWi (once jailbroken) would do the job nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Fair point. I was thinking of the My-Fi type devices as a better idea because they create an entire network rather than a 1:1 tethering solution. But you're right, for people who only need a 1:1 solution, MyWi (once jailbroken) would do the job nicely.
    MyWi creates a discoverable WiFi network just like a Sprint or Verizon hotspot.
    I've had 3 devices running off mine and still used my phone

PDANet, on the other hand, has to be set up as ad-hock

Thread Information