New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Best seller/Which version?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clark Kent

Clark Kent is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I got some good advice from here last year when I bought my Mac, so I thought I would come back for more.

I want to get a iPad for web browsing, mail, apps, music, and doing research for work. My question is: which level of memory will suffice? Do I need to get the wifi + 3G version?

Also, do most of you go through the Apple store?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

As far as storage goes, it entirely depends on how much of it you think you might end up using, if you're going to have a lot of apps and music, then the bigger the storage the better..if you can limit your usage of those, then the smaller will work..

As far as Wifi + 3G goes, depends on where you'll be using the iPad..if primarily in an area where you'll always have WiFi access, then the answer is clear..if you'll need to travel to places with it and can't assume WiFi access, the +3G version might make sense..the 3G plan for 250 MB is like $15.99/mo or so..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Clark Kent

Clark Kent is on a distinguished road

Thanks. So if I get just the Wifi there's no monthly fee?

Do those of you without the 3G find it's hard to pick up a signal?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yes..the WiFi has no monthly fee since you're just using whatever WiFi is accessible to you..

For 3G, you are using the AT&T service (in the US), so wherever you have AT&T service, so will the iPad..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Let's be clear: there's no *required* monthly fee on either version.

With the 3G + WiFi version, you have the *option* of signing up for a 3G data plan or (in the US) on a pay-as-you-go prepaid option that doesn't require a contract or regular commitment.

The WiFi only version doesn't have that option built-in, but it can be "simulated" with the help of third-party "MyFi" type devices.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

hotels. It is definitely not all free. I find 3g priceless but I travel. If you never leave your neighborhood and that around your work, wifi only would be fine. Until, that is, you needed 3G. If you don't have it you don't have it.

As to storage space - can one ever have too much? Pretty clear for me at 64 gig which I will fill within a year.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 2.0?? | Using Camera Connection Kit with SD card for extra storage »