View Poll Results:

0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Please help me decide
    Hi everyone,

I'm an author looking to decide on my next bit of technology to help my creativeness.

I have previously either written longhand in notebooks (paper ones) or typed into a Nokia E71 or desktop PC.

I want to be mobile and portable when writing, say on the tube, but can't decide between iPod 4g, iPhone 4, or iPad.

Note: I have a MobileMe subscription, but without any of these devices, I'm not making full use of the product.

Each has their merits and I'm asking you to help me decide.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Note: This does not belong in "Anything Goes". Moved to iPad since it sounds like you may be in need of one for your writing.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If you're doing a lot of WRITING, then you want something with a keyboard, like a MacBook Air.

You *could* lug around a bt keyboard with your iPad, they even make a stand specifically for that, and that works for modest writing, but serious writing? No way.

The iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4g shouldn't even be on the list -- they are completely unsuitable for writing anything longer than a short e-mail.

In Denial
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I have to agree with Chas. The iPad would be the best of the choices above, but having done a fair bit of writing myself I couldn't recommend it. I can compose fairly well at a keyboard but the inability to truly touch-type on my iPad really slows things down.
    The most maddening thing to me on the iPad is the proximity of space bar to the keys and lack of physical separation means I end up with a lot of words joined by an "m n b or v" and unfortunately the spell check seems to be unable to handle that, which means a lot of backspacing and typing over. Not, to me, a recipe for keeping the creative juices flowing.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Virginia, USA
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    First you need to settle on what you want the tool to
    do for you as you named three distinctly different tools. Want a phone? buy one. Want an ipod? Got news for you the iPhone 4 is an ipod. Want an iPad? no phone no camera.

See what I mean? What do you want to do?

Near Whitehorse, Yukon
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Agree with chas, the iPod and iPhone aren't for writing. A MacBook Air may be the best solution, Skin Your MacBook Air Like A Composition Notebook | Cult of Mac Strange URL but it may be of interest to you.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Thread Information