New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Rank the most important features on a new Ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Oddly enough, on the evening news tonight they talked about the eminent release of a new iPad touting thinner and a front facing camera two of the key upgrades. That got me thinking about what importance I would place on what features of a new iPad 2.0.

Here are mine, give me yours. I realize that this is an exercise in futility because Steve's gonna give us what he wants to give us

1)Faster processor
2)Better display
3)More storage
4)Forward facing camera
5)Thinner/lighter(this is not really a concern for me)

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1) Facetime front-facing camera.
2) Printing (yes I know that's coming this week or thereabouts)

Apart from that, nothing really.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

too big to be either a phone or a camera. Rear looking camera might be OK for videochatting.
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't give a flip about a camera on an iPad.

I hardly ever use the facetime on my iPhone 4 (And I have a jailbreak that allows me to use facetime over 3G and still don't use it)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
1) Facetime front-facing camera.
2) Printing (yes I know that's coming this week or thereabouts)

Apart from that, nothing really.
Same here.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I do agree somewhat with folks that say a camera is not important on the iPad...heck I can count on one hand the number of times that I'm used/needed the camera on my MacBook Pro. But I'll tell you what...if you do have a situation where having a camera would be nice...it REALLY comes in handy!

For example...my wife was on a long business trip recently (10+ days) to Europe. It was sure nice (with me in the US)...and she was in London, Geneva, Warsaw, and Paris...to not only be able to talk/hear her via the internet...it was also nice see her as well!

And not just for the "warm fuzzy" of actually being able to see her...but for her to show me things that she may have bought as souvenir's, what her hotel rooms looked like (at least as well as a computer camera can show)...or maybe even the view from her hotel room window.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I would go with thinner, lighter and slightly smaller. I'm actually more optimistic about the smaller after seeing where Steve recently dissed 7 inch tablets. That reminded me of how he ran down Netbooks as too small just before releasing iPad and followed not long after with 11 in MacBook Air (probably the best net book ever imagined).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ipsdude

ipsdude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ iphone4S 32GB.Ipad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser878 View Post
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't give a flip about a camera on an iPad.

I hardly ever use the facetime on my iPhone 4 (And I have a jailbreak that allows me to use facetime over 3G and still don't use it)
I feel the same
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Option to dual boot to OS X? USB or the like to connect various goodies. Ability to browse a network and copy/store/transfer files natively. Ability to open multiple documents, browser windows and terminals sessions on the same "desktop" to copy/paste/etc while actually looking at both items simultaneously. Option to download files from websites and then unzip/mount/use them right away on the iPad. Example: download and open a help doc and be able to copy terminal commands into a terminal session or read from that document while typing into a Word doc or terminal window. Native sftp, ssh and telnet would be great. Yes, I'd like to have these things so I could use it at work in a datacenter. Other than that, a lighter weight would be nice for reading in bed.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Option to dual boot to OS X?
You're confusing the iPad with a notebook. It isn't one, and will never be one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad to lose Orientation Lock in iOS4! :( | Ipad Safari Back Button? »