New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad & Internet Based Games

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

So I'm thinking of getting an iPad for my wife for Christmas (although I really want to wait until iPad version 2).

Two internet based games that she likes to play are "Farmville" & "Mafia Wars". Can anyone tell me how well these internet based games play on the iPad?

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
fear7950

fear7950 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
So I'm thinking of getting an iPad for my wife for Christmas (although I really want to wait until iPad version 2).

Two internet based games that she likes to play are "Farmville" & "Mafia Wars". Can anyone tell me how well these internet based games play on the iPad?

Thanks,

- Nick
Aren't those Abode Flash type games
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear7950 View Post
Aren't those Abode Flash type games
Do you mean "Adobe" flash based games.

Are you suggesting that since "flash" is not supported on the iPad that these games do not or will not run on the iPad? If so...that's the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Farmville - released Oct. 21st

Mafia Wars - been out for awhile, last update July 22nd

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Farmville - released Oct. 21st

Mafia Wars - been out for awhile, last update July 22nd
Bob...thanks for the links. The one thing that I might not be sure of is...some of these games are "apps" that reside inside the devices storage...and some of them reside on the internet.

I know that my wife has a 'Farmville" app on her iPod Touch...but the "Farmville" that she plays on her Macbook is different. I will have to check with her on the details.

Thanks again for the links,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, my wife plays Farmville also. I really don't know if the flash based online game crosses over with your account info to the iDevices or not - never asked.

QUOTE Thanks
fear7950

fear7950 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you mean "Adobe" flash based games.

Are you suggesting that since "flash" is not supported on the iPad that these games do not or will not run on the iPad? If so...that's the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks,

- Nick
Nick your are correct "Adobe" Sorry - I think they are flash games and they will not work on an Ipad

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Bob...thanks for the links. The one thing that I might not be sure of is...some of these games are "apps" that reside inside the devices storage...and some of them reside on the internet.
This is not correct. Both of these apps are apps that run natively on the iPhone or iPad. Farmville JUST got an update to be "HD" on the iPad, Mafia Wars will get the same treatment soon enough ... Zynga loves Apple, let's just put it that way.

Farmville, as a game, has MINOR variations across the myriad platforms on which it exists, but is basically the same ... in fact, a selling point on the iPhone version was that you can play on Facebook (web), and pick it up on the iPhone where you left off.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

That's pretty slick chas. Don't think my wife has even installed it in her iPhone, worried that she would be starting from the beginning again.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is not correct. Both of these apps are apps that run natively on the iPhone or iPad. Farmville JUST got an update to be "HD" on the iPad, Mafia Wars will get the same treatment soon enough ... Zynga loves Apple, let's just put it that way.

Farmville, as a game, has MINOR variations across the myriad platforms on which it exists, but is basically the same ... in fact, a selling point on the iPhone version was that you can play on Facebook (web), and pick it up on the iPhone where you left off.
Maybe there is a bit of confusion. The comparison I'm concerned with is between the iPad & Macbook (not iPhone & iPad).

My wife (like many players of Farmville & Mafia Wars)...has spent 100's of hours building their "worlds"...and I don't think that she would be very happy if she wasn't able to log into the "same world" on the iPad as with her Macbook.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Installed Farmville HD on my iPad this morning - it's free. When you start it up, it asks to sign in to your Facebook account, once done, it downloaded my wife's Farmville and she says exactly where she left off on the computer - complete with the pics of her neighbors and all.

That first launch did take a few minutes to completely fill in everything as she has a ton of stuff. Now, I only hope that doesn't induce her to want to start using my iPad.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Installed Farmville HD on my iPad this morning - it's free. When you start it up, it asks to sign in to your Facebook account, once done, it downloaded my wife's Farmville and she says exactly where she left off on the computer - complete with the pics of her neighbors and all.

That first launch did take a few minutes to completely fill in everything as she has a ton of stuff. Now, I only hope that doesn't induce her to want to start using my iPad.
Awesome Bob...thank you very much...exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Now that you installed Farmville on the your iPad...will your wife still let you use it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I suspect there will soon be "Farm-anon" chapters of rehab groups setting up all over the country.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck with hyperlinks!! | Problem posting with other browsers on the iPad »