New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad or new Macbook Air 11''?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jordans0nly

jordans0nly is on a distinguished road

I'm going to sell my Acer laptop in order to fund the purchase of the iPad. Probably a refurb 32gb, or maybe the 64. But, should I even give a look to the new, smaller Macbook Air?

I'm just a casual browser when it comes the internet. No gaming or anything like that. So, what would you suggest guys?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I am assuming you have another computer other than the Acer? I just bought the 11" yesterday and love it.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
I am assuming you have another computer other than the Acer? I just bought the 11" yesterday and love it.
Good (and very important) point! If you're considering an iPad, you have to have a desktop or notebook of some sort to activate it and load it with media.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
jordans0nly

Yea, sorry guys. I do have a desktop. It's an HP, been a good one.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

Then it's your call. I think it is a great machine (the MBA). Check them out in person if you haven't already.
QUOTE Thanks
jordans0nly

I should. Only thing that I dont like that I read is that it doesnt have the backlit keyboard, but hey, it's the low end model..lol.

Guess you cant have it all in such a small package.
QUOTE Thanks
G550 Pilot

G550 Pilot is an unknown at this point

IMO they have very different uses....the ipad is light email, browsing, entertainment, reading etc....its just not a computer.

That being said, Id part with my laptop before my iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
jordans0nly

I think I'll just stick with the iPad.

If I need to do any heavy computing, I'll use the desktop...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Just curious, did you opt for Apple care when you bought it? Reason I ask is we're also considering buying one in lieu of an iPad. My thoughts were since there are no user serviceable anything in the new Air, it looks like Apple care may be a must. I hate to pay an additional $249 though.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordans0nly View Post
I should. Only thing that I dont like that I read is that it doesnt have the backlit keyboard, but hey, it's the low end model..lol.

Guess you cant have it all in such a small package.
Almost positive none of the models have the backlit keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Just curious, did you opt for Apple care when you bought it? Reason I ask is we're also considering buying one in lieu of an iPad. My thoughts were since there are no user serviceable anything in the new Air, it looks like Apple care may be a must. I hate to pay an additional $249 though.
I always get AppleCare after the fact. Pretty good deals to be had on Fleabay (if you're careful). I would recommend it though on the new MBA's.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Having had an ipad, I would pick the 11.6" mba over it, especially if you plauyed fair and maxed out the memory on the ipad.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

We recently sold our 64GB 3G iPad and plan to purchase a 11" MBA with upgraded RAM. The iPad was to serve as a "travel" computer but we found that we really needed to bring a laptop in addition to the iPad when we traveled. Just too much electronic baggage to rely solely on the iPad. We will miss the 3G for getting online at roadside rest stops, but then again my cellular phone will tether so it's not a huge loss. We are likely to get an 11" with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB drive, but haven't decided on whether the 1.6Ghz CPU is worth it for the lite tasks we will be asking of it.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
brigitculkins

brigitculkins is on a distinguished road

First of all consider several factors why you want to buy an Ipad, you mentioned you are selling your laptop well the Ipad has several limitations when it comes to
creating files. The new 11.6 Mac Book Air is as light as the Ipad and pretty handy for travelers. IF I were you I would go for the laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
thanhdao

thanhdao is on a distinguished road

i pad is the good choice. I have both macbook and ipad. but since i have the ipad i hardly open my macbook. It have so much thing on there such as iwork net (that is enough for me to do daily work) Ipad even have more game then game that you could install in the laptop...However, the rumors about ipad 2 are there in the market so i think you should wait and consider that
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad / bluetooth / MBP | Please help me decide »