New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

IPAD for mac pro need advise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtaliaferro

jtaliaferro is on a distinguished road

I have a guy wanting to trade a macbook pro 15inch for my Ipad 64gig 3g. He says the mac model number is A1286.

C/P
its like new it's been kept in a hard plastic case, no dings dents or dead pix its in mint condition
its never been carried around i bought it for home then i bought an 27in imac so of course i put this one to the side
15'
2.6ghz
3gb
250 hd

What ya think?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I wasn't aware that they made a 15" Mac Pro. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
jtaliaferro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I wasn't aware that they made a 15" Mac Pro. >_>"
Meant Macbook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaliaferro View Post
I have a guy wanting to trade a macbook pro 15inch for my Ipad 64gig 3g. He says the mac model number is A1286.
I would probably need more model info than A1286 to know exactly what model MBP we're talking about. The A1286 actually covers a broader range of Macbook Pro models than you would think...and covers multiple product launches.

But roughly speaking...a 64gig 3G iPad sells for $829...knock off some $$$ for being used...so let's say it's worth $750. If this Macbook Pro is in good shape...I think that the Macbook Pro is the better part of the deal...if we're talking a straight up swap (no extra cash involved).

But then again it sort of depends on what you want. The abilities of a full fledged laptop computer...or the abilities of the iPad (lightness, compactness, touch screen, 3G anywhere connectivity, etc.).

Just my humble opinion...good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jtaliaferro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I would probably need more model info than A1286 to know exactly what model MBP we're talking about. The A1286 actually covers a broader range of Macbook Pro models than you would think...and covers multiple product launches.

But roughly speaking...a 64gig 3G iPad sells for $829...knock off some $$$ for being used...so let's say it's worth $750. If this Macbook Pro is in good shape...I think that the Macbook Pro is the better part of the deal...if we're talking a straight up swap (no extra cash involved).

But then again it sort of depends on what you want. The abilities of a full fledged laptop computer...or the abilities of the iPad (lightness, compactness, touch screen, 3G anywhere connectivity, etc.).

Just my humble opinion...good luck,

- Nick
He is bringing the Macbook for me to look at, where would I find the model number?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He is bringing the Macbook for me to look at, where would I find the model number?
Are you familiar with Mac computers & OS X? If so, go to the:

- Apple drop down menu
- Select "About this Mac"
- In the window that pops up click the "More Info" button
- In the next screen (Hardware Overview..."Hardware")

...there should be a model number that looks like "Macbook Pro 5,1" or "Macbook Pro 5,3"...or something like that...which can narrow things down a bit more as to what exact model MBP it is.

In either case...my personal opinion is...a newer Macbook Pro like this is worth more than a 64gig 3G iPad. But it all depends on what someone wants. The guy with the MBP maybe really wants a 64gig 3G iPad...but has no cash to buy one....and is too lazy to sell his MBP on his own.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

FWIW I would agree on the relative value (assuming there's nothing wrong with the MBP.
I would say go for it if you want/need a laptop. You can always replace your iPad later if you desire.

On the other hand they'll have to pry my iPad away (perhaps by enticing me with iPad vs2) to get it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
jtaliaferro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Are you familiar with Mac computers & OS X? If so, go to the:

- Apple drop down menu
- Select "About this Mac"
- In the window that pops up click the "More Info" button
- In the next screen (Hardware Overview..."Hardware")

...there should be a model number that looks like "Macbook Pro 5,1" or "Macbook Pro 5,3"...or something like that...which can narrow things down a bit more as to what exact model MBP it is.

In either case...my personal opinion is...a newer Macbook Pro like this is worth more than a 64gig 3G iPad. But it all depends on what someone wants. The guy with the MBP maybe really wants a 64gig 3G iPad...but has no cash to buy one....and is too lazy to sell his MBP on his own.

- Nick
He is saying its a MB985LL/A I thought I seen 'Macbook Pro 4,1' not for sure now though. I guess he wants to trade so i'm going to do it. I know it did say Macbook Pro and I did see 2.6 cpu so it doesn't sound like i'll get hurt on the deal.
QUOTE Thanks
jtaliaferro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
FWIW I would agree on the relative value (assuming there's nothing wrong with the MBP.
I would say go for it if you want/need a laptop. You can always replace your iPad later if you desire.

On the other hand they'll have to pry my iPad away (perhaps by enticing me with iPad vs2) to get it.
I already have a laptop, so I dont really need one. It just sounds I am way ahead on this deal?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
He is saying its a MB985LL/A I thought I seen 'Macbook Pro 4,1' not for sure now though. I guess he wants to trade so i'm going to do it. I know it did say Macbook Pro and I did see 2.6 cpu so it doesn't sound like i'll get hurt on the deal.
The MB985LL/A number is consistent with the "A1286" number from earlier...but the Macbook Pro 4,1 is not correct...as far as I know.

In other words the A1286 & Macbook Pro 4,1 numbers don't match...but the MB985LL/A & A1286 do math.

Like I said...2x before...this Macbook Pro if it has no problems (and has a good battery)...is probably worth more than the iPad 64gig 3G.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I already have a laptop, so I dont really need one. It just sounds I am way ahead on this deal?
If you already have a laptop...why would you trade this person your iPad for a 2nd laptop that you don't need?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

That model is the 2009 model, assuming the number you provided is accurate. It has a 2.66Ghz C2D, with a 9400m and 9600GT GPU, should have shipped with 2GB of RAM upgradable to 4GBs.

It's probably worth $1,100 or so, depending on battery condition and other things. If it's less than a year old, you could get Apple Care and sell it on... but if the warranty has expired and there is no Apple Care, it's a risk.

I have to say, it sounds a little too good to be true, because the person could easily sell it, buy an iPad and have change to spare.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I pulled the trigger... | Should I get an iPad or wait for the next gen.? »