New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad--worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xyanide14

xyanide14 is on a distinguished road

hey guys, i was planning on purchasing an ipad probably around christmas. I don't know if it is worth purchasing the 3g version or the normal wifi version, keeping in mind the 300 dollar difference. The main thing I will probably do with it include reading books, taking notes, taking it on the subway and etc.

Please share your thoughts
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

We have a fair number of good threads on this topic already...have you tried using to the search feature to check them out?

By the way...are you located in the United States? Because I just checked the US Apple Store website...and I don't see any $300 differences between the WiFi & WiFi + 3g models. I only see about a $130 dollar difference:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
My_MAC_MBP

My_MAC_MBP is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard

Hello,

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. It is worth it to me. I use it for eMail, YouTube, surfing the net, reading, and movies. It is the portability factor that I love, and great battery life. Sometimes, I don't feel like using the MBP. The MBP is an orphan because of the iPad.

While I have the 64GB 3G version, I don't use 3G often if at all due to AT&T data plan price switch. There is only a $129 difference for 3G according to storage capacity you choose.

While I use my iPad, I use the iPhone 4 more, waiting for iOS 4.2 for the iPad adding native Printing Support and Multi-Tasking. Once the update comes in November, the iPad should rock!
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

PeterC4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

It's not a computer. But it does things so well in a slim portable package that I find it very useful. I have a 64GB 3G version. On summer vacation at the cottage it's great and the 3G connectivity is better than anything else I've used. My wife uses it all the time, as she really has no day to day need for spread sheet or word processing power. With 3G you can connect to the internet all the time, if that is important. I think it's a hit.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I bought one when they came out and ended up selling it. I think I might pick up another one this afternoon. I miss her
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I bought the 3G version because I loved my iPod Touch and it aggravated me when I was out of Wifi coverage and couldn't access the internet.

My iPad and I are practically inseperable, so to me, yes it is absolutely worth it. If you are only going to be an occasional user and/or you live where you have Wifi coverage almost continually it may be a different story.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

Well I did indeed buy the iPad. Again. Anyone else end up buying and selling and buying again? Tons more apps out there (obviously). Just missed it too much!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Well I did indeed buy the iPad. Again. Anyone else end up buying and selling and buying again? Tons more apps out there (obviously). Just missed it too much!
WOW...congratulations!...I thought maybe you were kidding in your post yesterday!

I don't remember...why did you sell your first iPad? Also...which iPad did you get this time?

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Well I always have a hard time making up my mind with Apple products. When I end up buying it twice I know it is a keeper. I also have an iPhone so I just got the 16GB Wi-Fi. I figured with the MBP I didn't really need another MB/MBP/iMac. I am heading out of town again soon and it came down to another iPad or a 13" MB/MBP. Also, the newly released Sonos iPad app was also a huge part of it. It is also nice getting to use the 50 smackers worth of apps I already bought.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well I always have a hard time making up my mind with Apple products. When I end up buying it twice I know it is a keeper. I also have an iPhone so I just got the 16GB Wi-Fi. I figured with the MBP I didn't really need another MB/MBP/iMac. I am heading out of town again soon and it came down to another iPad or a 13" MB/MBP. Also, the newly released Sonos iPad app was also a huge part of it. It is also nice getting to use the 50 smackers worth of apps I already bought.
Yes..you "feel" much better about a purchase it you buy it...return it...and then miss it. Then when you buy it a 2nd time...you know that you're comfortable with it.

I've had my money saved for an iPad (16gig WiFi model) since May...but I want to see what iPad 2.0 looks like before deciding when & what model to buy (1st or 2nd generation...and whether to get a WiFi or 3G)...I don't have an iPhone...wife has an iPod Touch.

I don't know if you remember...but I wrote a "sort of review" of the Apple Magic Trackpad a month or so ago shortly after it was introduced. I thought that it was a really neat device...but then I returned it before 14 days were up so I would get all my money back. I just felt that $69 + tax for the amount of use I was getting out of it wasn't worth it. It was simply a dollars & cents thing.

I've seen them selling for close to $35 bucks now (refurbished)...so I might get another one soon...at a much more favorable price!

Enjoy that iPad,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I've had my money saved for an iPad (16gig WiFi model) since May...but I want to see what iPad 2.0 looks like before deciding when & what model to buy (1st or 2nd generation...and whether to get a WiFi or 3G)...I don't have an iPhone...wife has an iPod Touch.
That's the same with me. No iPhone, (have no desire for one) but definitely in need of a small light weight device like the iPad. After seeing it used by several friends I'm convinced that it's the future. But like you I'm waiting for the second generation. And I definitely will get 3G even though there are many free WiFi spots around here. My wife and I do a lot of traveling in and out of the Dallas Fort Worth area to some spots in Texas where's there's nothing but the cattle to talk to.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
But like you I'm waiting for the second generation. And I definitely will get 3G even though there are many free WiFi spots around here.
I'm sort of leaning towards the 3G model as well. I like the idea of the month to month AT&T data plan for when either my wife, myself, or both of us go out of town...and use the 3G abilities on the road if necessary. Then use free hot spots otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
My wife and I do a lot of traveling in and out of the Dallas Fort Worth area to some spots in Texas where's there's nothing but the cattle to talk to.
Well at least the cows/cattle are good for pleasant conversation...as long as you're speaking to the proper end (PHEW)!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saban View Post
If you are crazy about games and music than you can buy ipad wifi version because it too good for internet user,itouch and ipad not more difference but i think ipad is too batter then itouch for gaming and vedio
I have both an iPhone and an iPad. To me they serve very different purposes. I cannot read my Cisco pdf's on my phone. I cannot type worth a crap on my phone. I cannot browse the web (effectively) on my phone. I cannot watch Sunday Ticket (and actually see what is going on) on my phone. Netflix is too small on my phone. Sorry to beat a dead horse here. My point is I bought into the whole the iPad is a big iPhone/iPod Touch thing and ended up selling my iPad. After being without it for a few months I realized it is not even close to the same. I wasn't arguing with your post. Actually, I could not even understand it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
My point is I bought into the whole the iPad is a big iPhone/iPod Touch thing and ended up selling my iPad.
See...size DOES matter!...even if the iPad is a big iPod Touch...but that's ok!

Quote:
I wasn't arguing with your post. Actually, I could not even understand it.
Me too!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I couldn't decide ... WiFi or 3G
So i bought WiFi+3G ... Kinda nice to have both.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipad and goodreader | Desktop folders »