New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad resale values?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Any guesstimate as to how they'll hold up once the new ones drop? I want one, but it seems like they're getting on in the life cycle.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I want one, but it seems like they're getting on in the life cycle.
Are you saying that it seems the current version has been out for a long time? Sorry, just not understanding that last sentence.

Anyways, to offer my $.02, I'd guesstimate they will drop about $100 in price.
So a 16GB Wi-Fi only would go for around $400? Something like that. One has already popped up in the refurb store for $450 but it was gone in no time.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Any guesstimate as to how they'll hold up once the new ones drop? I want one, but it seems like they're getting on in the life cycle.
I think that it's tough to estimate. They're a new product (only 7-8 months old at this point) with version 1.0 still being the newest version. When iPad 2.0 is released...iPad 1.0's value (at least at first) will still probably remain high...since there may be a lot of people just like you looking for a used iPad.

Also:

- we have absolutely no idea what features or improvements (if any) will be in iPad 2.0
- and we have absolutely no idea what the prices will be for iPad 2.0

...so these two factors will be BIG parameters in how a used iPad 1.0 is valued by consumers when iPad 2.0 is released (assuming there will be an iPad 2.0 release).

For example...let's say iPad 2.0 has a:

- faster processor
- base model has 32gig of ram instead of 16gig
- includes a webcam
- improved battery life
- etc. etc.

...and let's say the base model iPad 2.0 sells for $399.00. All these things considered...the value of a used iPad 1.0 with inferior features would have to be less than $399.

Even if the base model iPad 2.0 sold for $499 (same as the base model iPad 1.0)...if iPad 2.0 has improved specs...that would help reduce the value of used iPad 1.0's.

But the bottom line is...this is all just a bunch of "hot air" & guessing!!! We won't really know how to value used iPad 1.0's until we see what iPad 2.0's features are & what it's selling price is.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that it's tough to estimate.
Nice post there Nick. Even though you stated in the 1st line that " you think that it's tough to estimate", i think you have hit the nail on the head there with your common sense approach, and forward thinking.

Im in the same boat as the Village Idiot and eagerly wait in anticipation of the next .v iPad release. I have never bought a product that is the 1st one out (except for my SS Holden Commodore (car)), so will look to purchase a iPad when the next release is here. Lets just hope the prices drop to e decent $amount and if they do, it will be defiantly replacing my current 3rd Gen iPod Touch .......(if i can find it which i havnt since my 7yr old has been playing with it )

Mac2Sell hasnt as yet put a iPad on there site to get a guesstimation
Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I have never bought a product that is the 1st one out (except for my SS Holden Commodore (car)), so will look to purchase a iPad when the next release is here.
See you next April!

Quote:
Lets just hope the prices drop to e decent $amount
Personally I would be surprised if they drop at all. There is so much additional stuff being crammed into the next version (at least by the wishful thinkers) that I can't see it dropping in price.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Personally I would be surprised if they drop at all. There is so much additional stuff being crammed into the next version (at least by the wishful thinkers) that I can't see it dropping in price.
Pretty much what I'm thinking as well!

@everyone: Using the many many product launches I've seen from Apple in the past...the price point of a product usually doesn't get reduced much (if any) when a newer version of a product is released...especially when it's a "hot" product, and we would only be on version 2.0 of the iPad. If we were talking version 4.0, or 5.0...maybe.

What does happen is the new version is more feature packed:

- faster processor
- more ram
- more storage space
- more features
- different case design
- longer battery life
- reduced weight
- larger/ smaller screen
- 3G standard

...any combination is possible. The new product version (in this case iPad 2.0) the WiFi base model would probably start at or close to the price of iPad v1.0 at $499 (US).

One way a price reduction is possible...is if a new "variant" of the iPad was released...such as a "rumored" smaller 7" iPad. But this is only a rumor.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reformatting flash in ipad | iPad stylus »