Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: iPad Price.

  1. #1

    Lakeloon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2010
    Posts
    56
    Specs:
    13" Late 2009 Macbook Pro, iPod Touch 4th Gen
    iPad Price.
    I know this is a long shot since the iPad isn't very old, but do any of you think the iPad may go down in price any by the Christmas shopping season?? $500 is a lot of cheese.

  2. #2

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Yes if you keep checking Apple's refurb section. One popped up the other day $50 off for a 16GB Wi-Fi only.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,727
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeloon View Post
    I know this is a long shot since the iPad isn't very old, but do any of you think the iPad may go down in price any by the Christmas shopping season?? $500 is a lot of cheese.
    I'm not sure where you're located. But the US Apple Store has refurbished 16gig WiFi iPads for $449.

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTkwNDUxNDM

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4

    Lakeloon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2010
    Posts
    56
    Specs:
    13" Late 2009 Macbook Pro, iPod Touch 4th Gen
    Oh wow. I didn't even think about refurb. Then again, I didn't think anyone would want to get rid of theirs.

  5. #5

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    No… Price is not coming down IMO on the new units.

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,727
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeloon View Post
    Oh wow. I didn't even think about refurb. Then again, I didn't think anyone would want to get rid of theirs.
    Refurbs. are not always products that people get "rid of". Sometimes they are products that

    - had a problem & were fixed
    - a product that was ordered...and then the order was cancelled
    - a product that was returned shortly after purchasing (shouldn't have purchased in the first place)
    - probably tons of other reasons

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,727
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
    No… Price is not coming down IMO on the new units.
    Yeah...my guess is the price will:

    - remain steady as long as demand is high
    - won't drop until AFTER Christmas
    - will drop (iPad version 1.0) when iPad version 2.0 is released early next year...my guess!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8

    brairden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2010
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    252
    Specs:
    2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
    I think your best bet to get a cheap one will be to grab a used first generation when the new ones are announced. No one really knows what the exact changes are going to be, but if it just a couple cameras, I know I won't be upgrading. But a significant memory upgrade would definitely interest me now that multi-tasking is a reality.

    Mostly I would say that it depends on the price of the new one, resale value of the old generation, and the upgrades the new generation has to offer.
    15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
    13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
    24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
    mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    As far as I can tell, the price for new iPad will *never* drop (at least not in the foreseeable future), for several reasons:

    1. Apple doesn't want sub-$500 customers and has made this abundantly clear many times. The base iPad is barely sub-$500 and is kind of a special case. People who make noise like this ("why can't the iPad be cheaper?") don't "get" the product and don't make good VALUE judgements. That is not Apple's kind of people, simply put.

    2. The components of the iPad would have to *seriously* drop in price for Apple to even consider it.

    3. They will undoubtedly be putting MORE stuff, not less, into future iPads, so there's no reason for the price to come down.

    4. It's looking more and more likely that the next iPad won't be out till mid-next year. Enjoy the wait, suckers!

  10. #10

    Lakeloon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2010
    Posts
    56
    Specs:
    13" Late 2009 Macbook Pro, iPod Touch 4th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    As far as I can tell, the price for new iPad will *never* drop (at least not in the foreseeable future), for several reasons:

    1. Apple doesn't want sub-$500 customers and has made this abundantly clear many times. The base iPad is barely sub-$500 and is kind of a special case. People who make noise like this ("why can't the iPad be cheaper?") don't "get" the product and don't make good VALUE judgements. That is not Apple's kind of people, simply put.

    2. The components of the iPad would have to *seriously* drop in price for Apple to even consider it.

    3. They will undoubtedly be putting MORE stuff, not less, into future iPads, so there's no reason for the price to come down.

    4. It's looking more and more likely that the next iPad won't be out till mid-next year. Enjoy the wait, suckers!
    Well aren't you just special.

  11. #11

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    ...

    2. The components of the iPad would have to *seriously* drop in price for Apple to even consider it.
    I agree with everything except the above statement. The calculated cost for the components in the 16gb wifi unit was under $260. **That was way back in APRIL, which is forever ago in technology pricing. Apple is making HUUUGE profit margins on the iPad (as well they should, and more power to them!!!)

    Even considering the R&D (which I would think would think would be very minimal given the fact that it's not too different from the iPod Touch and iPhone, they are still making a killing.. again.. as they should!!!


    In the end, Apple really doesn't change the pricing much on any of their products, the prices usually stay the same and the hardware quality increases with each speed bump/revision.

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
    I agree with everything except the above statement. The calculated cost for the components in the 16gb wifi unit was under $260. **That was way back in APRIL, which is forever ago in technology pricing. Apple is making HUUUGE profit margins on the iPad (as well they should, and more power to them!!!)
    I'd disput the "huge" profit margins. Bear in mind that component costs doesn't even BEGIN to tackle things like labour, distribution, advertising, maintenance, replacements, and a hundred other minor things BEFORE you get to "profit." Apple's pure "profit" on an iPad is probably more like $100-$200 per unit, around 20-30% of the purchase price, in line with their average markup on all their lines (around 30%).

    But there's another way to prove my point: when was the last time Apple dropped the price on an item within a year of bringing it out, or without seriously revamping it?

    I've been following Apple for a very long time, and I can recall exactly ONE instance of this: the original iPhone (and look at the CRAP they caught for doing that!). Not a path they are ever going down again.

    What Apple *tends* to do is increase the VALUE over time rather than bump down the price. They add physical features to new versions, and enhance the older hardware through software. That's why Apple customers love Apple so much; very often their hardware investments get BETTER over time instead of WORSE. I'm still using my original iPhone, my 2007 laptop runs better than it ever did, and iPad early adopters are about to get a big xmas present called iOS 4.2.

    So my contention stands: an iPad price drop is NA GA HA PEN.

    Maybe that 7" "My First iPad" Fisher-Price version the rumour-mongers fixate on will prove to be true, but the one that's out now will be "starting at $499" for the life of the product IMO.

  13. #13

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeloon View Post
    Well aren't you just special.
    He was just stating some very factual info with you on why he feels the price will not drop in the near future.

  14. #14

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post




    So my contention stands: an iPad price drop is NA GA HA PEN...
    @chas_m apparently you missed the part in my post that said I agree with everything you said except the reason regarding the price of components. No way does Apple lower the iPad price anytime soon. I fault Apple in no way for making large profit margins, as a business owner myself, I applaud any companies ability to make dough

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I'd disput the "huge" profit margins. Bear in mind that component costs doesn't even BEGIN to tackle things like labour, distribution, advertising, maintenance, replacements, and a hundred other minor things BEFORE you get to "profit." Apple's pure "profit" on an iPad is probably more like $100-$200 per unit, around 20-30% of the purchase price, in line with their average markup on all their lines (around 30%).
    You forgot to mention the money Apple spent on R&D to develop the ipad. And then add in the wages of the people employed to design the ipad as well as steve's $1. And after all that the 30% mentioned above sounds about right. And that's a smart number.

    In the food business the rule of thumb you are aiming for is 33% profit, 33% fixed costs and 33% food cost. And that = 100% the amount you sell the menu item for. So in that vain the 30% profit margin for the ipad is very reasonable indeed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung reportedly hits Apple with 20% price increase for iPhone, iPad chips
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 02:40 PM
  2. Fair Price For An iPad 1 ?
    By billwill in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
  4. Apple cuts iPad 1 price $100, additional 50+ on refurbs
    By fleurya in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
  5. Apple might consider dropping price on iPad
    By Closerframe in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •