New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Sudden problem with my iPad: won't change directions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old maccie

Old maccie is on a distinguished road

A problem suddenly developed with my iPad tonight. I've had mine since April, and it's worked fine. All of a sudden, when I picked it up a while ago, the apps wouldn't change direction when I turned the iPad. Everything remained in one direction - longitudinal. I can still use it, of course, but this is annoying. The flexibility of use is one of the things I like about the iPad.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I "assume" you checked to make sure the rotational lock is not turned on?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Old maccie

Old maccie is on a distinguished road

Actually, no I didn't - at least not right away. I only checked after I posted the above message. I must have set the lock inadvertently, and it didn't occur to me to check it until later. Sorry about that. Problem, of course, is solved. I just panicked.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No problem. I once thought my switch had fallen off, only to realize, after I posted about it, that I had been looking for it in the wrong place.

QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Don't worry, you won't have that annoying problem when iOS 4.2 comes out. That switch on the side will become the mute switch!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
Don't worry, you won't have that annoying problem when iOS 4.2 comes out. That switch on the side will become the mute switch!
I sure hope that they take enough heat for this that they decide to change it. I am not looking forward to my rotational lock switch being changed.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
I sure hope that they take enough heat for this that they decide to change it. I am not looking forward to my rotational lock switch being changed.
I'm with ya on that one, unless they keep it easy. But any other way to do it, means leaving the app you're in to lock or unlock. The volume buttons already mute it if you hold the down side longer than about 2 seconds.

QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

There is still a rotation lock function, but it is part of the multi-tasking tools at the bottom of the screen that you get to by double clicking the Home button.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If it works same as the iPhone so I don't have to leave the app I'm in, guess I can live with it.

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Sure, there is one there and it is easy enough to get to but I still think it is silly to change the hardware based switched. As stated above, if you hold the volume down you get muted very quickly and that is good enough for me. Personally I never mute and use the lock switch all the time.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If it works same as the iPhone so I don't have to leave the app I'm in, guess I can live with it.
I don't know what the multi-tasking functions on the iPhone look like, but here is a screen shot from my iPad of the multi-tasking options --

The screen lock is on the far right next to the iPod app (which is also on the main screen - or wherever you decided to plant it) and the other iPod control functions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do I need an iPad? | Steve jobs Forbes top 400 richest Americans »