New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

How fast can the iPad really access the internet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnLynch

JohnLynch is on a distinguished road

I've moved into a new apartment which has the phone-line in a different room to my PC. As such, I've decided to upgrade my PC so that it has a wireless network card. I started looking into what speeds the iPad can reach, and I saw that it supports Wi-Fi (802.11n).

Based on my reading of that Wi-Fi protocol, the iPad should be able to send and receive information at a rate of up to 600 Mbit/s. I was wondering what the speed was in practice? Does the iPad actually support up to 600 Mbit/s?

I'm thinking of getting this card for my PC with this router which should allow me to send and receive information around my network at speeds of 300 Mbit/s.

The reason for that is at times I want to treat my iPad as a dumb terminal and have my PC do all the processing power and simply send the display to my iPad. This is so I can have Flash on my iPad (and I'm sure I'll find other uses for it).

I found at my old place (which had my PC connected to the network through ethernet and a much cheaper router that I'm doubtful would support 802.11n) that even though my PC would show changes in the Flash pages immediately on my monitor, large changes would require several changes for it to finish loading on my iPad. I'm hoping by getting the above network card and router this will make the iPad's changes occur much quicker (I'm using LogMeIn to send the display to my iPad). Does that seem like a realistic expectation?

I do realise that for internet content, my limitation will obviously be my internet connection itself. But content already downloaded and sent across my internal network should run at the "local speeds" from my understanding.

Thanks in advance for advice and help.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

According to Mobile Speed test, here is my iPad (through a D-Link 802.11n router) --

and here is my desktop hardwired to the router --

So the hardwired computer always wins, but the iPad still does a respectable job. Of course these tests vary every time you run them.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It should be pointed out that unless you're on fibre optic, your broadband "pipe" plays a huge role in your speed and is considerably slower than the max capability of 802.11n.

In other words, you only get "N's" top speed when transferring data between computers on your own network, NOT from the ISP's connection to your house.

I'm currently using a "G" router, and here's what I'm getting on a 10Mbit up/.5Mbit down connection:

When I had an "N" router, I got the same results -- because I'm already going as fast as my "pipe" provides.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm currently using a "G" router, and here's what I'm getting on a 10Mbit up/.5Mbit down connection:
I think you may have reversed those numbers chas....
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I did 3 tests and this is the middle one.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

This alone is my dorm room (and subsequently, my University's) interwebz data.

And this is the Ping test

My iPod touch shows this:

<See attached>
Attached Images
File Type: png photo-2.PNG (105.0 KB, 3 views)

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Never mind
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Control iPad with iPhone?? | Question about 3G usage »