New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Question about 3G usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wsd73

wsd73 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad

Hello! I have a 64GB 3G iPad, but I have never signed up for 3G service. I have to travel to the Mayo clinic in a couple of weeks and was planning on signing up for a months worth of service to have for the trip. I plan on using it to watch movies on netflix between testing & at night, surf the net, and maybe the maps (although I have a droid for this use...I might still use it)

I have no idea how much data I will use...so will I get some sort of warning if I am going to exceed my limit? Or is there a way to check to see what I am using?

Sorry if this is a dumb question....I'm a little scatterbrained trying to get all my ducks in a row before I leave.

Wendy
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yes, the iPad will give you a warning once you have 5-10% remaining and then warn you again once you have 0% remaining. Once you run out, it will give you the option to purchase more data.

I believe you can check usage under Settings instead of waiting for the warnings.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Vroomer

Vroomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7

Yes. You can check your data usage under settings. General tab. Usage bar. Add sent + received = total data.

If you are going to stream the videos from iTunes, recommend downloading them BEFORE you use the 3G. Unless you have an unlimited iPad (like me).
QUOTE Thanks
wsd73

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad

Thank you :-)

I will be streaming the movies off of Netflix, but from what I understand Mayo has wifi and the long term hotel we picked is giving us free wifi since I'm a patient, so I could use wifi when in those places. I'm assuming there is a way to turn on the 3G........

Wendy
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsd73 View Post
Thank you :-)

I will be streaming the movies off of Netflix...
Just a word of warning. If you're going to be streaming movies while connected via 3G...you will eat through your data plan very very quickly. Leave the movies for WiFi if you can.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
wsd73

Thanks for the warning....I'll try to only do movies when I have wifi. I just won't watch any movies on the car ride.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the warning....I'll try to only do movies when I have wifi. I just won't watch any movies on the car ride.
Here's a chart that estimates how many minutes you get from a 3G plan depending on the type of activity:

Data Plans with Wi-Fi - DataPlus & DataPro Plan - Wireless from AT&T

As you can see...streaming a 1 minute Youtube video (standard quality)...you would only get approx. 200 minutes of 3G usage (3 hours, 20 minutes)...with the 2 gigabyte/month data plan. Only 20 minutes with the 200 meg/month plan.

Streaming Netflix movies may be better...but you can get an idea of how quickly you could eat up a monthly 3G data plan.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
wsd73

Ouch! Thanks for the info!! I would have run out quickly for sure. I wish they still had unlimited

Wendy
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I wish they still had unlimited
Get in line...a lot of other folks feel the same way!!!

On the other hand...the current AT&T data plan allows you to subscribe month to month...and cancel at any time.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
wsd73

Going month to month IS a nice feature. I don't want to sign up for it every month since I already have a data plan on my Verizon Droid, but having the option to do it every now and again is nice.

I just found out that my hotel doesn't have wifi, just wired internet

Ugh!!! They said I'd need to bring an ethernet cable to hook up my computer...but I wasn't planning on bring the laptop, just the iPad. If I take my a router, would I be able to plug that in and just use that for wifi, or do I need a computer to set up the router? I've never tried to use a router w/out a computer.

Thanks....

Wendy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How fast can the iPad really access the internet? | ipad video problem »