New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Ipad for college notes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

babond

babond is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using my Macbook but right now it's having problems randomly going into sleep mode when not on a power supply. I was wondering how practical the Ipad would be w/ the apple external keyboard for notetaking? I'd use it for other purposes as well but is it really a good alternative for notes?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babond View Post
I'm currently using my Macbook but right now it's having problems randomly going into sleep mode when not on a power supply.
Adjust your "Energy Saver" settings within "System Preferences"...and your Macbook won't go to sleep.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
babond

babond is on a distinguished road

tried that and it doesn't work. the cpu goes to sleep only when not on power supply and it may do it one every 15minutes or back to back to back every time i wake it up. SUCKS!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by babond View Post
tried that and it doesn't work. the cpu goes to sleep only when not on power supply and it may do it one every 15minutes or back to back to back every time i wake it up. SUCKS!!!!!
Do you have all the "Energy Saver" settings dragged all the way to the right...where it says "Never"?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
VonStoven

VonStoven is on a distinguished road

honestly, you wouldn't need the external keyboard with the ipad for notes. after a couple weeks of using it, you'll realize that the external is not worth the extra baggage. The ONLY thin I bring to my classes is my ipad in the apple case, using the typing angle with the case in my lap or on a desk.

The on-screen keyboard really is quite good, and this is coming from someone who can't own a iphone because my hands are too big for the keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree. I watched my friend today type on his using the on screen keyboard and it seemed fairly easy to do. I would probably opt for the Apple keyboard to use at home or in the office. But for on the road or in class taking notes, the keyboard is only going to add to what you have to carry around.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree. I watched my friend today type on his using the on screen keyboard and it seemed fairly easy to do.
Something I wanted to hear...since an iPad is definitely in my future!

Quote:
I would probably opt for the Apple keyboard to use at home or in the office. But for on the road or in class taking notes, the keyboard is only going to add to what you have to carry around.
Great point! Carrying a keyboard to use with an iPad would certainly take away from the portability/light weight of the iPad. Might as well carry a laptop then!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
I agree. I watched my friend today type on his using the on screen keyboard and it seemed fairly easy to do. I would probably opt for the Apple keyboard to use at home or in the office. But for on the road or in class taking notes, the keyboard is only going to add to what you have to carry around.
True, but have you ever carried around even a 13" MacBook before? It's a bit more heavier than the iPad. Of course, I don't have an iPad, and don't really need one right now, but it would be nice to have anyway.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
True, but have you ever carried around even a 13" MacBook before? It's a bit more heavier than the iPad. Of course, I don't have an iPad, and don't really need one right now, but it would be nice to have anyway.
I lugged a monster Dell notebook around for several years while doing field work and computer repairs for the US Govt. That thing felt like a lead weight around my shoulders when going thru airports. Can't remember its exact weight, but my 13" MacBook feels like a feather compared to it.

I agree an iPad is great and I honestly would love to have one - but for now they're a bit too expensive for me and realistically, it couldn't replace my MacBook for what I need it for. However, as I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to the iPad 2nd generation which we should see sometime next year.
QUOTE Thanks
G550 Pilot

G550 Pilot is an unknown at this point

No way on an ipad for taking notes - it would be pretty cumbersome. Stick with your laptop...

I'm sure its possible to type on it, I can do shorter emails no problem...but its not much of a work tool, its a toy (a great toy at that!)
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

That is exactly what I use my iPad for, taking notes during my college class. It works great. Turn it length wise (for the bigger size keyboard and start typing). I love it.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
Rodneyp

Rodneyp is on a distinguished road

I use mine in meetings for taking notes look at the audionote app it is worth the $5.00 price.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I reckon the laptop question is a bit of a chicken and egg one.

Do I not take mine everywhere becuase I don't need to, or because it's heavy and inconvenient?

To call it a notebook is dubious. Phonebook maybe . . .

The iPad really is notebook sized/weight. Mine goes everywhere with me. Still not sure I can type as fast on this as I can on a real keyboard though. Having said that it's way faster than an iPhone or blackberry.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G550 Pilot View Post
No way on an ipad for taking notes - it would be pretty cumbersome. Stick with your laptop...

I'm sure its possible to type on it, I can do shorter emails no problem...but its not much of a work tool, its a toy (a great toy at that!)
The iPad is great for taking notes and meeting minutes, but there is a learning curve so I found out.
During one of our company meetings I was taking notes on my iPad in parallel with a company secretary. When we compared notes afterwards here's what we found:
1) My notes only contained half of the meeting because I was focussed on the keyboard and not on listening to the conversation.
2) The notes I took contained a lot of typing errors because of not being used to the keyboard and incorrect use of the automatic spelling and dictionary on the iPad.

I worked on that and learned how to better use the iPad and 2 weeks later we did the same thing again and my notes were ' approved ' by the company secretary as being accurate and complete with an acceptable level of typo's ( Whatever that means )
What I did to improve was I had my daughter read Harry Potter aloud and I typed that on the iPad. ( btw..... I hate Harry Potter -

So it can be done !

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by G550 Pilot View Post

If I ever get an iPad, I'm getting the bluetooth keyboard for it as well. I have tried typing on the screen. Just..ugh cumbersome. I'm sure it'll take getting used to, but not for me right now.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipad video problem | Apple Fall Press Conference today 9/1/10 »