New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Ipad with front facing camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fire2007

fire2007 is on a distinguished road

het does anyone know if the ipad with have a front facing camera? and why is it so hard for cell phone company s to allow those that are not on the network to video chat with others???
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm having trouble deciphering what exactly you're asking.

The iPad does not have a camera at all. Someday it will *probably* have a front-facing camera for Facetime, but that day could be quite a long way off; the demand for the iPad is huge and will accelerate with the release of iOS 4.1 and the holiday buying season; I do not see much chance of the iPad gaining some of the iPhone 4's coolest hardware features (retina display, facetime) till the next revision, which I *personally* expect will be next April. Nobody knows this for certain, including me.

As for your second question (again not sure what you're actually asking), cell phone bandwidth is highly constricted by comparison to broadband bandwidth. So don't expect to see FaceTime for 3G users for a long time if ever (by the time they make that happen, 4G will be deployed en masse).

Facetime, as it works with iPhone 4s (and probably the next iPod Touch) or iChat/Skype (for computers), works best with the higher bandwidth of wifi, and that will probably remain the case for the foreseeable future. I've seen hacks (and other phones) that enable video calling on 3G, but not only don't they work as reliably or well as Facetime, they wouldn't work at all if millions of 3G customers were using it.

Apple would rather hold back a feature that's cool but doesn't work with reliable excellence than move forward with something not quite finished. That's why I don't think video calling a la FaceTime will be available on cell networks anytime soon.

One last thought: some of us have been waiting for video calling to work like Facetime does for over 40 years. I *literally* got a demo of video calling when I was in grade school. The fact that its here *at all* is such a miracle, I think I can manage to wait a year or three for the infrastructure to develop a bit more to handle demand. Patience, young padawan.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Just do a search of the forum as THIS bloody question has been asked too many times .....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

One last thought: some of us have been waiting for video calling to work like Facetime does for over 40 years. I *literally* got a demo of video calling when I was in grade school. The fact that its here *at all* is such a miracle, I think I can manage to wait a year or three for the infrastructure to develop a bit more to handle demand. Patience, young padawan.
Although it was a bit after grade school for me, just thought that bared repeating.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Where is my Richard Tracy Wrist radio/Communicator?? I had to put richard in place of the name they used in the 50's as it set off the word filter!

Give it time, it will all happen.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I want one of those cool invisible screens that just float in mid air like the ones on CSI. When will those be out?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I'm having trouble deciphering what exactly you're asking.

The iPad does not have a camera at all.
I 2nd your confusion. Same thing I thought when I first read the OP's post yesterday.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I want one of those cool invisible screens that just float in mid air like the ones on CSI. When will those be out?
I am just waiting for someone to invent a small device that would fit in a shirt pocket or even clip on my belt or maybe on an arm band where I could store all my music. I really think something like that would be a big seller!

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
One last thought: some of us have been waiting for video calling to work like Facetime does for over 40 years.
Then you probably should have been living in one of many parts of either Asia or Europe for the past couple decades. Facetime isn't that special. It just happens to reside on a much nicer screen than most others which have been doing it for years.

Just sayin.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've been using iChat for years, so "video calling" isn't that remarkable; what's remarkable is the quality and ease of use on such a small device. And yes, I'm aware that some parts of the world are ahead of North America on this point, but I've travelled into some of those places but not seen anything quite as spectacular as FaceTime.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipad Survey | Ipad and Imac »