New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Does the iPad cause eyestrain?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

I just wanted to know if there is any evidence that claims that the iPad causes significant eyestrain over the other e-readers out there. On another message board a poster keeps making claims that the iPad is the worst in comparison to the Nook and Kindle when reading in extended periods of time.

I understand that some people are more prone to this than others, but I want to know if this is purely conjecture or if there is any facts to back up this person's claim.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Do you get eye strain while looking at a glossy screen? It all comes down to the person. Someone may get sick from eating sushi, but there are plenty of others who love sushi.

I would try it out but chances are if you like your computer screen, you will like the iPad screen.

EDIT:
I have not read anywhere about this, but e-readers have been known to cause eye strain (as is staring at anything too long!).

Take a look at this article. Click here.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

I haven't experienced any of the so-called eye strain issues and I use my iPad quite a bit for reading although not for extremely long periods at a time.

Although the screen uses a different technology than the dedicated eBook readers that are supposedly easier on the eyes, the overall advantages of an iPad over that of a dedicated reader made it a no-brainer for me!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Because the fonts can be adjusted so easily, I don't buy into the argument that the iPad causes any significant eyestrain. I've been staring at computer screens for decades now, most of which have been considerably worse than what the iPad uses, with no ill effects that I can detect -- my eyesight is getting poorer, but for entirely other reasons and nothing out of normal range for my age.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I can not detect any strain and actually enjoy reading a chapter or two. since you have the ability to
check or do other things on it.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Why not go to the Apple store, or where ever other place that sells Apple products and test for yourself?

Everyone is different.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I should add that *actual* eyestrain is pretty easy to spot: your eyes water or you have trouble focusing at distances that would normally be clear.

As I say, I've been staring at computer monitors far FAR more than even your average geek since the late 80s, and while I'm sure this has contributed to the normal deterioration of my eyesight, I don't think it's been a bigger factor than age.

People's eyes change shape over time, whether you're staring at a computer or the moon. This can sometimes have dramatic results, but the term "eyestrain" as often bandied about in iPad threads and elsewhere is really inaccurate and used as hyperbole rather than seriously.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

IME the eyestrain claim is bunk, at least for my eyeballs.

I do like the "electronic paper" screens on the Kindle, Sony etc., but the trade-off - they are strictly for text and blow for images, even B&W images - isn't worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have not used an iPad much as a reader as I don't own one at the moment due to Financial reasons, but...

I have looked only a short time at the Kindle, the model maybe 6 months ago and it bugged my eyes. I have done quite a bit with the ipad in stores and never noticed my eyes straining. I have a close friend who is an avid book reader and he has excellent eyes. He hates the Kindle screen and said it bothered his eyes. He is not a lover of anything Apple, but was impressed at the screen on the iPad, both with the internet and with books.

Like it's been said, different people maybe different, so go try one out at maybe an Apple store where you can open a book and spend some time and see for yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

jacksonian will become famous soon enough

My wife used a Kindle for the past year and a half until she switched to her iPad. She reads for hours and hours at a time and she's never complained of any eye strain with the iPad or told me it was any worse than the Kindle. And trust me, she would have told me if she did!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

My iPad is my primary platform for reading, hardly ever read ink on paper anymore and I have had "zero" problem with eyestrain. I have bifocals and my base prescription is -8.00 diopter, so it isn't as if my eyes are all that great to begin with.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best iPad App for documents and pdfs | Wondering if we wasted money »