backup solutions for the iPad without computer
    I have a friend, who was born in 1920, who has an an iPad. He loves the thing but doesn't understand the concept of backup dispite my best efforts. He just doesn't want to spend any more money. He does not own a computer and thus has no way of backing up his data. I have been searching for a solution, may be a program that would allow him to back up to an external harddrive. Any ideas?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    What is it that you feel he needs to backup? Is he downloading music on iTunes? Creating docs in the iPad version of iWork? Regardless, as much as I recommend backing up any important data, with the iPad it's all solid state - it's not like you're going to lose an HDD.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    You can't backup the iPad without iTunes. Period, end of story.

Specs:
    iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
    So he has no way of getting OS updates or anything either. An iPad really needs a "home base" computer...

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
    So he has no way of getting OS updates or anything either. An iPad really needs a "home base" computer...
    That's right. It's really not designed to be a standalone computing device, it's supposed to be a companion to a full-blown computer of some sort.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
    So, my question is, how did he initialize the device?

When I powered mine on for the first time, it demanded iTunes.

Did he have them initialize it at the Apple store for him and he just walked away?

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    If he doesn't want to spend any more money, then there really isn't much you can do to help him. As long as he stays un-jail broken, he probably won't need to a backup... probably... if he is lucky! He made it to 90 so it sounds like he is already pretty lucky!

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Do you have a PC/Mac you could plug it into?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomer View Post
    So, my question is, how did he initialize the device?

When I powered mine on for the first time, it demanded iTunes.

Did he have them initialize it at the Apple store for him and he just walked away?
    I'll bet that's what has happened.

I have an iPad that was issued to me by work - the first one I got had a dead line of pixels on the screen and I had to take it into the Apple store - they initialized the new one at the store (granted it was worthless to me until I got home and restored everything back onto the replacement).

So either a comp with iTunes to sync it to, or only use programs that will sync to a cloud storage area and have each of those programs keep their data updated in the cloud (since apps run in a sandbox environment each app would have to be responsible for its own data)

As mentioned before, it's not designed to be a stand alone computing device (although considering it's capabilities, it really could be for some people)
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
    Can you upload to Dropbox on an iPad?

Thread Information