New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

How good is the iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

S4MB

S4MB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"...i5 2.4ghz...4GB RAM...320GB HDD

I would just like to know how good the iPad really is

Thanks...

 Ipod Touch 8GB 1st Gen
 MacBook Pro 15" i5 (Mid 2010)
 Ipod Touch 32GB 4th Gen
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

' Good ' in terms of what exactly ?
Can you be more specific ?

To answer your current question .... My iPad is as good as my BMW .... it gets the job done in an efficient way

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
S4MB

Sorry

By "GOOD" i meant how does it compare to say the ipod touch
and is it worth buying one...

 Ipod Touch 8GB 1st Gen
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4MB View Post
By "GOOD" i meant how does it compare to say the ipod touch
The iPad is a BIG iPod Touch...enough said!

- Nick

p.s. If you're in London...go to your local Apple Store, and try one out!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I have my iPad now for 1 week and it works great.
I spent most of the time looking for apps to replace my productivity tools on my MacBook Pro .... had to try ( and buy ) a few to compare.
I have yet to find and install the IBM Lotus Notes app. so I can work with my companies E-mail system.
Other than that, life is good on the iPad. Not being able to multitask needs getting used to, but that was known before I bought it, so no complaints there.

I truly believe that the iPad has triggered a new way of using ' content ' and I am sure that the next release will even be better.

So the iPad is good .... for me ....
Having said that, you will have to determine what you want to use it for, as a tool or a toy.

Have a look around the forum, there is good info out there and more coming every day.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
S4MB

would it be a good replacment for my ipod touch?

 Ipod Touch 8GB 1st Gen
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4MB View Post
would it be a good replacment for my ipod touch?
Not if you like carrying your iPod Touch in your pocket.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
S4MB

Well thanks and i will use the reputation system for you

Sam

 Ipod Touch 8GB 1st Gen
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

I think you'll love it! They are absolutely fabulous! I think you should rush out immediately and plunk down 429 Sterling at your local Apple Store!!

Of course if you don't like it, we will not give you your money back!
QUOTE Thanks
Vroomer

Vroomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
' Good ' in terms of what exactly ?
Can you be more specific ?

To answer your current question .... My iPad is as good as my BMW .... it gets the job done in an efficient way

Cheers ... McBie
I have to agree. It's more like my Z4: sleek, sexxy, and gets me where I want to go pretty quick. Not heavy duty off-roading or towing. Totally for someone sticking to the main roads and on the go.

The whole "big iPod Touch" doesn't fit the iPad. To me, it's a mobile productivity platform. I can jot down notes, write ideas, surf the net, check email, manage my stocks, all from a tablet vs. a bulkier laptop. Then I sync up with my computer and I can finish what I started.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomer View Post
The whole "big iPod Touch" doesn't fit the iPad.

To me, it's a mobile productivity platform. I can jot down notes, write ideas, surf the net, check email, manage my stocks, all from a tablet vs. a bulkier laptop. Then I sync up with my computer and I can finish what I started.
Sure it does!

Everything you mentioned doing on the iPad you can do on the iPod Touch...it's just easier on the iPad...and that's perfectly fine.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

who finds it can replace -or substitute if you will- a MacBook / laptop ?... i'm preparing to either replace this MacBook with a new one (bought this one pre-enjoyed) or an iPad, i use my MB @ work and home, email, surf, maintain and write for blog, music player.. i think i know the answer and i should go with a MacBook, but curious to your gals & guys' opinion.

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
who finds it can replace -or substitute if you will- a MacBook / laptop ?... i'm preparing to either replace this MacBook with a new one (bought this one pre-enjoyed) or an iPad, i use my MB @ work and home, email, surf, maintain and write for blog, music player.. i think i know the answer and i should go with a MacBook, but curious to your gals & guys' opinion.
Well for all the things you are listing here, the iPad would work just fine. You probably would prefer to use it in conjunction with a real keyboard for some of your work, but the beauty of the iPad is that it's so much more portable than a MacBook is. The bottom line is you have to define what your needs and expectations are, and then act accordingly. For example, if you can't live without Flash, then obviously the iPad isn't for you. If you value portability and the iPad can in fact do all you need, then it's worth considering.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
who finds it can replace -or substitute if you will- a MacBook / laptop ?
I think the biggest problem with the iPad is... that it is sold by Apple. And what is Apple's claim to fame? Computers of course! The problem is that people sometimes (wrongly) assume that since the iPad is an Apple product, it is some sort of re-packaged laptop, but its not. The iPad, like the iPod, is a consumption device. It has but one purpose and that is to serve as a portal to iTunes. It is all about mobility and portability, but was never meant to replace a full-fledged computer... at least not at this stage of its development.

Even now that jailbreaking is no longer illegal, this still does not mean you can just pluck any piece of software off the shelf and install it on an iPad.

I thoroughly enjoy my iDevices, but you have to really examine what they can and can not do to determine if it will meet your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

I absolutely LOVE my iPad! However, it is not meant to replace a computer.

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iwork versus idisk | AVCHD to reeldirector how? »