New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad query- child locks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scottyk617

scottyk617 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs

Hi all.
I relented and got the wife an iPad.
she loves it, I love it (enough to consider getting rid of my macbook) and unfortunately so does my 4 yr old!

Now I have no objection to him playing with it, he loves angry birds HD and painting etc.
What I do have an issue with is him being able to access email, settings, facebook etc etc.

I have looked into the restrictions thing, and it kind of helps, gets rid of the app store,safari and any apps that have a decent rating.
But, he can still access enough to cause issues (shutting off wifi, playing in itunes etc)

Is there anyway to kid proof these things- with literally just selected apps, no settings, no itunes etc

if not someone should design an app that does it!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

At present, since the iPad doesn't support multiple user accounts, there's not much you can do apart from WATCH the child whenever they are using it and stop them when they are using something they shouldn't.

It would be neat if you could "lock to page," giving access only to one page's worth of apps (apps you've obviously picked).

You might suggest this to Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

I agree with chas_m (but I try not to let it happen too often), but with all due respect, you are the child's parent, not Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
scottyk617

Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs

You're right, I am the childs parent, I'm not suggesting that they should be responsible.

However in the time it took me to reach across the sofa earlier my son had managed to exit angry birds, open my email account and had somehow managed to click reply!

I am sure that was in no way intentional on his part, purely being an inquisitive toddler.

And another reason for getting one was to keep him amused on car journeys with films etc
Dont get me wrong, it is a fantastic concept, and he has taken to it very very quickly, I just wish there was a way to lock it out. I have emailed via the support people, will see if it appears at some point.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

As far as your email, you can always turn your account off. Other than that, if he is smart enough to figure out how to get into the settings and turn the WiFi on and off, then I see another $500 (at least) purchase in your future.

As the parent of 3 and grandparent of 8, I know how "creative" these young minds can be and putting your personal or sensitive information on a device then giving it to a 4 year old may not be the best thing to do. Remember, he is only going to get older... and smarter... and more curious!
QUOTE Thanks
scottyk617

Oh yes, and not only is he creative, he's also a technology snob.
I dug out my first gen ipod touch, put a couple of games on there, disabled everything else. He gave me the kind of look I'd expect from an adult who I had just passed a still warm T*rd!
'dont want that one daddy, where the big one?' Go Figure!,
and $500, I wish, try $680- for the 16gb wifi (429 Sterling)
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

Wow! I had no idea they were so much more across the pond. I will sell you mine for 375 and I will go buy another one for myself!

Especially in your case, however, I don't know that any parental controls will be strong enough to safely co-mingle your personal stuff and his games, movies, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Just wait until you let him take one to school. ATPM 16.06 - Segments: The iPad Goes to School: Creating a Vast Army of iPad-Carrying Minions?

BTW I thought I had seen something in the app store that mimics creating the equivalent of user accounts but can't seem to find it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
scottyk617

Slydude, that was a good article, thanks.
My son starts school this september, I was quite surprised to see that they start on IT lessons in the first week! nothing too hard, just this is a mouse etc
Bit of a shame they use windoze boxes, was hoping they would be on OSX!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyk617 View Post
Slydude, that was a good article,

Ill jump on too ..... Sly that was a good read. Well written

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks guys. That was more fun to write than some of the more technical stuff. The kids I have used it with thus far are always excited about the prospect of getting to use it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting iPad books in Canada? | iPad Activation Problems »