New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad Activation Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

diand

diand is on a distinguished road

Hello

This is my first posting. I have been having problems with my iPad and just cannot figure it out. I have the last OS on my mac, the latest iTunes and the latest iPad firmware. I own a 32GB Wifi+3G UK iPad bought in the UK via Apple. Here is the problem:
  • Received new iPad and activated OK via iTunes
  • iPad SIM card arrived from Orange. Put it in iPad and activated it.
  • Worked for a few days but then iPad displayed 'connect to iTunes' screen.
  • Connected to iTunes and received an error message (attached)
  • Had to restore iPad and go through activation again.
  • This happened around 20+ times in two weeks
  • Took iPad to Apple Store and after testing it they agreed to replace iPad with new one
  • New iPad arrived and used it for several weeks without any problems without SIM in it
  • Requested a new SIM from Orange (in case the SIM was faulty)
  • When new SIM arrived put in in iPad and activated it via iTunes (including downloading latest carrier settings)
  • After 2 days was presented with 'connect to iTunes' screen again - did this and had to restore
  • Same cycle started repeating itself etc with me getting 'connect to iTunes screen', having to restore etc etc

So, I have changed my iPad, changed my SIM but still the same problem. If I restore the iPad without the SIM and use it as a Wifi only version, it works fine. The problem is when I try and use 3G/SIM card. I am happy to use it as a Wifi only version, but having paid extra for the 3G I would quite like to use it.

I'm at a loss - any ideas welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voila_Capture3.jpg (42.3 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The problem clearly lies with Orange so I'm not sure what you expect us to be able to do other than advise you to take it into your local Orange dealer and make THEM activate it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
diand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The problem clearly lies with Orange so I'm not sure what you expect us to be able to do other than advise you to take it into your local Orange dealer and make THEM activate it for you.
Hi chas_m

Thanks for such a welcoming reply to my first post.

The guys at the Apple Store are a little confused with this, as is technical support at Orange - so your certainty about the problem is impressive. I posted because of the knowledge and expertise in this forum. I don't expect anyone to "do" anything other than share their ideas and thoughts, if they wish to, in a friendly and constructive way.

All the best.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Diand,

I am not an expert on iPad, but my neighbor had something similar and went through the same process you described.
In the end, it seemed that iTunes on his MacBook was not the correct version.
He updated iTunes and that solved the issue for him.

Again, I am not an expert but it is worthwhile checking the version of iTunes.

Hope it works.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
??? Why "clearly with Orange" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by diand View Post
  • Received new iPad and activated OK via iTunes
  • iPad SIM card arrived from Orange. Put it in iPad and activated it.
  • Worked for a few days but then iPad displayed 'connect to iTunes' screen.
  • Connected to iTunes and received an error message (attached)
  • Had to restore iPad and go through activation again.
  • This happened around 20+ times in two weeks
  • Took iPad to Apple Store and after testing it they agreed to replace iPad with new one
  • New iPad arrived and used it for several weeks without any problems without SIM in it
  • Requested a new SIM from Orange (in case the SIM was faulty)
  • When new SIM arrived put in in iPad and activated it via iTunes (including downloading latest carrier settings)
  • After 2 days was presented with 'connect to iTunes' screen again - did this and had to restore
  • Same cycle started repeating itself etc with me getting 'connect to iTunes screen', having to restore etc etc
The OP has stated that it has been activated via Orange and has worked for a a cpl of days on each activation... Unless im missing something and you are in cahoot's with Orange ...

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
diand

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Diand,

I am not an expert on iPad, but my neighbor had something similar and went through the same process you described.
In the end, it seemed that iTunes on his MacBook was not the correct version.
He updated iTunes and that solved the issue for him.

Again, I am not an expert but it is worthwhile checking the version of iTunes.

Hope it works.

Cheers ... McBie
Hi McBie

Thanks for that. I've double checked my iTunes version and it seems to be the latest. It's an odd thing. Interesting that your neighbour had the same problem and now it is sorted because of the iTunes update. At one stage I completely uninstalled and re-installed iTunes (following the instructions from Apple). I think I am probably doomed to either use it via Wifi (without putting a new SIM in), or go for another carrier (though I don't really want to sign up for another data contract).

Thanks for your ideas. Diand
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad query- child locks | iPad time/date changes randomly »