Specs:
    iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
    Exclamation iPad as a GPS Device ?
    Hello Guys

Can the iPad 3G version be used as a GPS Device. (I've got the Velcro idea in mind).

I read in a blog that the iPad was missing GPS !! Yet Copilot have software for it on the iPad !!!!

I'm slightly confused, and would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank You.
    "Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    There are several GPS apps for the iPod/iPad. I have a WiFi only version, so I do not know how well they actually work. I assume (a very dangerous thing to do!) that they use the 3g service to triangulate your position because there is not a true built-in GPS device in the iPad.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    There are several GPS apps for the iPod/iPad. I have a WiFi only version, so I do not know how well they actually work. I assume (a very dangerous thing to do!) that they use the 3g service to triangulate your position because there is not a true built-in GPS device in the iPad.
    That almost has to be the case. And if that's true, even the cheapest standalone GPS will be faster, more accurate and be less prone to theft, if mounted on your dashboard.

Now that decent GPS devices are running just over $100, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to try to adapt a completely disparate device to perform the same functionality.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    There seems to be a bit of confusion about exactly how the iPad does its GPS magic.. (see for example Apple iPad: Does it have 'real' GPS? (updated: yes and no) | ZDNet) Having said that I have tried a couple of map apps on the iPad and run the locate my iPad/iPhone feature several times just to see how close it came to my location.

Overall the accuracy has been pretty good though I have never used a dedicated GPS for comparison.I have had it come as close as say maybe 100-200 feet and less in some locations. I used the map application recently when out of town to navigate to a few stores I hadn't been to in a long time and the directions were dead on. Amazed the guys at the home center btw.

Here's a mini look at some of the apps that are out iPad GPS Navigation Preview GPS Review
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Ciwan:

Velcroing an iPad somewhere the driver can see it is not only not going to give you good GPS, not only use up vast amounts of expensive 3G data, and not only likely to be illegal in many municipalities, but at the very least its going to attract the attention of law enforcement.

Overall, I think it's a really really bad idea. Do what the rest of us do; get a wife and give her the iPad to navigate with.

Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    Umm... The iPad 3G has a GPS module built in!! You don't really need the 3G Triangulation, if you have 3G Turned on, thats great, it will make the satellite lock-on much faster, if not then it will work like a regular stand alone GPS Unit.

So do you need a 3G Connection to use the iPad as a Nav Unit?!

The answer in most cases is NOPE. Most Nav apps that are worth their salt download the full set of Maps to your device (you are talking about a 1+ GB download) and you don't need to have 3G Turned while using the app on the road.

Now if you have in mind that Maps Application, thats a different story. That app, downloads the maps every time you view a certain location or directions. and once you cancel out it goes *BOOF* back up to the cloud (mostly)

Hope that clears the confusion a bit.

Andy by the way Chas, there is already a couple of iPad Mounts for Cars that would take care of that issue completely and they look perfect. If I stumble on the link again I will post.

Cheers!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Does the WiFi version have GPS chip? I could have sworn it didn't.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    WiFi model does NOT have a GPS chip. The WiFi+3G is the only model that has the GPS chip.

The WiFi model will actually use the WiFi's IP Address to determine location also if the WiFi is registered with SkyHook Wireless it will make the location pin point a lot faster.

WiFi+3G has an A-GPS chip. This is the best type of navigation
    chip out there for hand held devices. It does a preliminary lock
    with cell towers (if available) to give a quick and dirty location
    while the satellite GPS does it's thing. This takes time. As this
    information is processed, then the location is refined. It is VERY
    accurate. It is an "assisted GPS" chip, in that the cell towers
    are used for sorting location while the satellite info is processed.

I just got back from a 2,000 round trip road trip. I used Google Maps
    with my WiFi+3G as my primary navigation aid. I have one word to say about it. Awesome. This is as long as you have service to download the
    map so that the GPS can do it's thing. I also have Navigon as a back
    up as it has maps on board the iPad's memory. But I like to use
    Google Maps better. I love the way you can pinch and scroll the maps
    to the scale that you need. I feel like the iPad earns it's keep with
    just this one function.

I do not mount it on my dash though. My wife was along, so she
    played navigator.

dxr

P.S. iPad runs Navigon like a champ. Much more reliable/fast than
    running it on iPhone.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I still say the wife/girlfriend/partner option is best. Works great "offline" too.

Thread Information