Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    IPad: Will not charge - at all; Will not power off; battery level going down rapidly
    Just had all 3 of these issues on my iPad.

Was sitting at 20% when I went to use it last night. Only had about 2 hours of ebook use since the last full charge - approx 36 hours prior.

Put it on the charger when I went to bed. This morning it was down to 5%. Yes, the indicator showed that it was charging.

Tried powering it off, it did, but then immediately started back up on it's own. Did this several times.

A total reset appears to have taken care of it. It's now charged back up to 35% in about an hour.

You do this by pressing and holding the Home and Power buttons together until the Apple logo appears. Took about 15 seconds on mine. Don't release them too early.

For those wondering, this does not appear to cause any data loss.

Specs:
    iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
    Weird! Thanks for posting that, if it happens to ours I'll be ready.

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    A total reset appears to have taken care of it. It's now charged back up to 35% in about an hour.

You do this by pressing and holding the Home and Power buttons together until the Apple logo appears. Took about 15 seconds on mine. Don't release them too early.
    I know that the first rule of any forum is to NOT disagree with a moderator, but....

isn't what you described just cycling the power and technically not a "total reset" ???

(Patiently waiting for the infraction)

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Only know Apple called it a 'reset' in this kb article under the "If you't can't turn your iPad on or off" heading.

A simple cycling of the power is not done by holding both buttons, but by holding the home button until the slider appears and then sliding the slider to turn it off.

And, a reset is not the same as a restore.

(You'll have to come up with worse than that.. I'm sure I've made some doozies somewhere along the line.)
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    Well OK, I will take your word for it, even though it appears to do exactly the same thing! It appears that the only difference in using the slider bar method is that the iPad stays off, but with the "press and hold" method, it restarts, excuse me, resets immediately.

Specs:
    I would think it must do something to reset the firmware. Sort of like restarting a Mac while holding down the cmd, option, p, r... buttons.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    I wish Apple would get their terminology straight. When I press the Sleep/Wake button on the top if the iPad, the User Guide says that I am actually locking the iPad. Why can't they say that pressing this button puts it to sleep and pressing it again wakes it up? Either that, or why not call it the Lock/Unlock button instead???

This is like the classic help desk question, "How come in Windows I have to click on Start in order to shut it off?"

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    It's a reset. A lot of people with iPhone 3g's that installed iOS4 had BAD slow downs and that is what Apple and others said to do. You do not just hold them and let them go, you keep both buttons down till it totally resets. That is what Bobtomay did.

We don't hand out infractions for mistakes BTW. If that were the case we would give ourselves infractions as we are all human. Infractions are for breaking the Community Guidelines. You asked an honest question.

And BTW, you keep BOTH buttons down till the screen goes black on it's own.

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    Whew, thanks! Dodged a bullet on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Just had all 3 of these issues on my iPad.

Was sitting at 20% when I went to use it last night. Only had about 2 hours of ebook use since the last full charge - approx 36 hours prior.

Put it on the charger when I went to bed. This morning it was down to 5%. Yes, the indicator showed that it was charging.
    Just experienced a similar thing - it was on 59% when I went to bed, down to 15% this morning and when I plugged it into the wall charger 2 hours later was just on 17% even though the charge symbol was on. I have plugged into my macbook now and it charged 1% however have just done all the reset things to see if that helps. Weird!

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I wonder if its possible for an app to continue running in the background so far I have been lucky and not experienced this.

Well 4 hours of charging and it's still only at 60%!

Unhappy
    Please help!

My iPad is turned off because of no battery and when I'm pressing the power button the red battery appears on the screen. Then i connect the charger and the red battery appears again on the screen and show that it is charging. BUT! it's not. I keep it connected for the whole night and still shows the red battery when i press the power button. So the iPad can't start up. Also i can't reset it!

PLEASE HELP!

Are you using the charger that came with the iPad? it is of a higher voltage than the iPhone/iPod one. If you have another charger try that.

Unhappy
    I had tried 2 chargers, a mac and 3 usb cables. I know that this is not the problem..because the ipad shows that the charging is started...but the carger is not getting hot...for all night long...it's like that the battery is fully charged or that the power stops somewhere in the ipad and don't reach battery...!

Thread Information