New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Am I alone in my opinion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

Am I alone in my opinion that the iPad is great already, BUT could really use a camera for video chat!? I don't seem to see much talk about a camera being a "missing feature" on these forums so maybe I'm alone.

Opinions?

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy90 View Post
I don't seem to see much talk about a camera being a "missing feature" on these forums so maybe I'm alone.
You're not alone...you just haven't searched hard enough.

This is an old issue that has been discussed here plenty...most folks have just moved onto other topics...and are waiting to see what happens when iPad 2.0 comes out.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Honestly, I think what happened is that Apple had a choice to make. Facetime wasn't far enough along and they wanted to get the iPad out there, so they decided to go without the camera (alleged teardowns show there was space for a front-facing camera). Given the success of the product, it appears they made a wise decision.

It might have been quite deliberate, actually. Bringing out Facetime and the front-facing camera is a more natural addition to a product that already has a camera, like the iPhone. It would have stolen a fair amount of thunder if the iPad had gotten it first, and of course now everybody "knows" that the iPad 2 will have Facetime and a front-facing camera as one of its main "new" features.

The problem of course is that the iPad is SUCH a hit product, and will only get *more* so as we head to xmas, that the chances of seeing an iPad 2 released before next spring are very dim indeed. In fact, I'd guess people waiting on the iPad 2 will have to wait even longer than that, but that's strictly speculation on my part.

One other thought to consider: despite the fact that some people think Facetime/a front-facing camera is the coolest thing since sliced bread, I can say with some authority that video-chatting is usually at the very very bottom of the list of things most people take advantage of with their Macs, despite having had the ability for years now (and whether you use iChat or Skype, it works pretty well). I'm always amazed that more people don't use that life-changing tool to make family connections (and sell a lot of Macs while they are at it), but I guess the idea just hasn't hit the "mainstream" yet (ie people think its too complicated/too much hassle to try or use regularly). Maybe Facetime will push it along a little further.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Maybe they (or someone else) will make a camera that plugs into the docking port?

Hang on.... brb.... I just got an idea....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Let's not forget including a camera on iPad 1.0 most likely had some design, manufacturing, and cost impacts as well. Maybe including a camera would have delayed the launch by a couple weeks or months, might have made the manufacturing process a bit more complex, and could have added additional cost.

At $499 for the "basic" iPad...that might have been an aggressive price point (aka...small profit margin)...and maybe adding a camera would have pushed the price over $500.

Also...like most companies...Apple didn't want to give customers all the "bells & whistles" all at once. They want to have something significant to include in iPad 2.0, and iPad 3.0. Otherwise iPad 1.0 would be the first & last version.

Most likely Apple (like most companies) already has a 2, 3, or 5-year plan for the iPad. They probably already had an iPad 2.0 & 3.0 on the drawing board before iPad 1.0 was even launched. With some additional features already "penciled" in for 2.0 & 3.0...and then other features to be added later as new technologies are developed...or become less expensive.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Yes. You are wrong. The program is good. The program is sound. Never question the program.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I just use Facetime on the iPhone or IChat on the MBP so having a third option would not be important for me and others but for people that don't have those options I could see where they would want it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Maybe ? | battery not as long lasting as expected »