New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

How to fix a stuck power button on iPad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

semajmik

semajmik is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I am not too sure if anyone else has encountered this problem, but my iPad's power button is stuck and will not "click" as usual, allowing me to manually put the iPad in sleep mode.

Recently, it fell from my lap which was only around two feet and landed on the floor. I caught it just before the full impact, but DANCING NAKED PONIES out of luck, it landed on the power button.

Now it's stuck in there and it won't respond at all. The iPad works fine. I am still able to take it out of sleep mode by pushing the home button, but now I have rely on its 2 minute sleep process. Also, I am unable to perform resets manually.

Could anyone advise on this situation. I have been told to take my iPad apart, however, I am neither a pro or an idiot to do something with my novice skills.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Take it to your local Apple dealer (independent or corporate, but make sure it someone who does repairs on Macs -- ie, not Best Buy!). They should be able to finagle it unstuck for you.
QUOTE Thanks
semajmik

semajmik is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, there are no Apple Retailers in my current location . . . Guam.

I really need a self help kind of answer so that I may remedy it myself.

Sending it off is out of the question as well. Thanks though.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by semajmik View Post
Unfortunately, there are no Apple Retailers in my current location . . . Guam.

I really need a self help kind of answer so that I may remedy it myself.

Sending it off is out of the question as well. Thanks though.
Why is sending it off out of the question? You dropped it and you broke it. With all due respect, if you try to fix it yourself, you risk causing even more damage to the unit and then you really will be out of luck.
QUOTE Thanks
MyBrokeniPhone

MyBrokeniPhone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.

This happened to me with my iPod Touch, though my solution may be able to help.

I used a paper clip to pull it up and it somehow sprang back into place, if you are a 3G iPad owner, perhaps you have the little clip that is used to remove the sim plate?

Good luck!

Oliver
QUOTE Thanks
yesunny

yesunny is on a distinguished road

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday.. I tried using the blade of a knife to pry it back up, but it is stuck there.

If you were able to fix this, I would really like to know how.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Without the right tools you are going to tear that thing up and regret every last second of that decision. Removing the display is a delicate procedure and the retaining clips can be broken in the process.

Keep yourself happy and send it to an authorized repair shop.
QUOTE Thanks
jpepperman95

jpepperman95 is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind secretly voiding your warrantee, you could jailbreak it and then use activator to set sleep to holding the home button
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad time/date changes randomly | Offline viewing »